Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Just installed 6.5" speakers in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, i was just curious, how come you have to use the box and not the other inputs for it to work?
The stock HU only has speaker level outputs. In order to use an aftermarket amp, which uses RCA inputs, you need to use the "ugly adjuster box" also known as a line level output converter or LOC. That will change the speaker level voltages to ones that can feed an aftermarket amps low level inputs.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cyclotron_burst
...There are alot of Dynamat and Second skin knock-offs that dont do anything more than weigh down your car...

That's all sound dampening material does. Adding weight is the best proven method for fixing rattles because the extra weight changes the frequency in which the panel or piece resonates or vibrates....
Old 01-27-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tanakasan
Hey, i was just curious, how come you have to use the box and not the other inputs for it to work?
The stock HU only has speaker level outputs. In order to use an aftermarket amp, which uses RCA inputs, you need to use the "ugly adjuster box" also known as a line level output converter or LOC. That will change the speaker level voltages to ones that can feed an aftermarket amps low level inputs.

But in the original post, it says the amp has High Level(speaker level) inputs which should eliminate the need for a line output converter....
Old 01-27-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spr0ket
Even the guy who patented the product on the first caps won't use them.
I haven't heard this one, who is the guy your talking about? Wayne harris.....Richard Clark, possibly David Navone?

Maybe you can cite some sources so I could research this one myself.

Last I heard, low ESR electrolytic caps still work exactly the way they were originally intended, as large energy storage reservoirs that can supply incredibly quick bursts of energy to your amplifier with the potential of increasing the power output supplied from your amp to the speakers for a very short time. Not to fix dimming lights, that has more to do with how tightly the the voltage is regulated to them. They work because your amplifier is going to draw from the source with the highest potential, the low ESR cap first til it's depleted(never would deplete entirely, only down to the level that the rest of the system is at), then your alternator til it can't supply enough voltage for the system, and then lastly the battery till its depleted. The only thing that has changed over the years is the cap marketing and engineers that can prove that the sky isn't really blue.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
But in the original post, it says the amp has High Level(speaker level) inputs which should eliminate the need for a line output converter....
My bad! After re-reading closer, I see that he was asking why not just use the high level inputs on the amp.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trebor
Originally Posted by Spr0ket
Even the guy who patented the product on the first caps won't use them.
I haven't heard this one, who is the guy your talking about? Wayne harris.....Richard Clark, possibly David Navone?

Maybe you can cite some sources so I could research this one myself.

Last I heard, low ESR electrolytic caps still work exactly the way they were originally intended, as large energy storage reservoirs that can supply incredibly quick bursts of energy to your amplifier with the potential of increasing the power output supplied from your amp to the speakers for a very short time. Not to fix dimming lights, that has more to do with how tightly the the voltage is regulated to them. They work because your amplifier is going to draw from the source with the highest potential, the low ESR cap first til it's depleted(never would deplete entirely, only down to the level that the rest of the system is at), then your alternator til it can't supply enough voltage for the system, and then lastly the battery till its depleted. The only thing that has changed over the years is the cap marketing and engineers that can prove that the sky isn't really blue.
Scroll down to the reply from SteamHammer...
http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showt...id=25962&fid=4

Most interesting to me was "How much power does a capacitor store".
Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Stock fronts are 6-1/2". Some say 6-3/4 or "oversize 6-1/2". but they measure 6-1/2" across the front/foam ring. I just measured the ones I yanked for my eDi 6000 install.

As a reference, the eDi 6000, with a mount depth of 2.8" needed (2) rings of 3/4" mdf to clear the window. It gives about 1/4"~3/8" clearance and still fits behind the stock (slightly modded) door panel. This will give a baseline to add/subtract for your own mids.

My xB eDi6000 install:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...789&highlight=

jaimecosio,
No increase in SQ? Your Memphis need more power than the stock HU amps can supply!
What I did to make the edi work was take the stock speakers cut the insides out round the lip and place the edi speakers in them. I didnt have new rings and the guy had brought the wrong ones at that time.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Scroll down to the reply from SteamHammer...
http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showt...id=25962&fid=4

Most interesting to me was "How much power does a capacitor store".
Wow, Thanks for that link. I thought "finally, here's a guy that knows what he's talking about", right up to where "How much power does a capacitor store", then he misses the point. Too bad. At least he got most of the history right!! Also he keeps talking about using a cap to fix dimming lights in order to discredit it for car audio use, WTF???

He never addresses low ESR caps, which are the ONLY ones to get if you want a cap to work as was intended for car audio. Try and find one that has a ESR that is <.001or better(Example: <.002 is worse and <.0001 would be better). Most manufacturers don't advertise the ESR spec. Happy Hunting!! :D

It is true that many of the caps out there simply won't work as expected because of a too high ESR. But they certainly do look cool, and in that situation you might as well get the extra battery. But then you have a different situation where your alternator has to charge two batteries. Typically adding another battery consumes about 5-10 amps of precious alternator juice, meaning less amperage for your amplifier.

Heres Richard Clarks(Yeah, one of the guys who marketed large caps for car audio use) own forum talking about this.

http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimate...1;t=022965;p=1
Old 01-30-2006, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member

My bad! After re-reading closer, I see that he was asking why not just use the high level inputs on the amp.
Haha yeah if it has speaker level inputs why wouldn't those work? I'm curious because I had just installed the ugly rca box and then saw that my amp had the speaker level inputs so it would be cool if there was some reason that i could'nt have used those in the first place so my work of installing the rca converter didn't go to waste! (if that made any sense)
Old 01-30-2006, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lowellster
Haha yeah if it has speaker level inputs why wouldn't those work? I'm curious because I had just installed the ugly rca box and then saw that my amp had the speaker level inputs so it would be cool if there was some reason that i could'nt have used those in the first place so my work of installing the rca converter didn't go to waste! (if that made any sense)
It barely made sense.... But yeah, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to use the speaker level inputs. (unless you installed a LOC b4 you realized your amp has speaker level inputs )
Old 02-01-2006, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member

Any suggestions for replacing the rear speakers or photos of your install?
Thanks,
Old 02-01-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put 6.5's in the rear of my xB. All I did was use the scoche brackets made for the front and three self tapping screws to hold the brackets to the metal....clears everything nicely and fire directly through the grill in the panels.