Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

keyless entry range problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default keyless entry range problem

hey everyone, i was hoping someone could help me figure out a problem i'm having...

the remote keyless entry on my xB used to have a pretty good range-- i used to be able to beep it across the street and from pretty far away.

the problem is that now, for some reason, the range of the system is so bad that i have to be practically touching the car before it works.

i tried to change the batteries, and that didn't help.

the only thing that i have done recently was that i installed one of those stereo RCA to AUX converters so that i could listen to my iPod nano. i'm really confused as to why this would affect anything... i did install the box under the dash. is it possible that i covered up the antenna that receives the key fob signals and that's why the range is so bad now? sounds kinda far-fetched, but... i dunno.

i'd appreciate any suggestions! thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's my first thought: That little antenna is sensitive to location on any vehicle. You'll just have to try out some other direction/placement of the antenna to get the better range. If possible, get it further to the outside, away from the center electronics and wiring, and as little bending as possible.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the car still under warranty? How hard is it for you to remove the RCA AUX in? I would say take it back to Toyota and let them know about the problem. The only reason i ask about removing the AUX in is cause some dealers automaticaly blame the aftermarket peice as the problem with out even trying to find the real problem. I doubt the AUX converter is the problem but, one less thing for them to try and blame it on. If you remove the AUX converter, try the range on the remote again, if the range come's back then the converter was the problem. But it could possibly be the remote going bad or even the antenna for the keyless entry.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

yea something isnt right. the keyless entry on my car hits from ridiculous distance! a few hundred feet of parking lot.