Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Luminics - Not that bright

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Luminics - Not that bright

Ok... first off, I want to say I just bought the Luminics Super White (or whatever they're called) bulbs and I'm happy that I did! Having said that, I want to make sure everyone remembers that they're not as bright as stock. It makes sense - these bulbs use the same technology as stock but they filter out the yellow part of the light (or more on the blue and purple ones) leaving you with a much nicer, much whiter light. It looks great. The only problem is, especially in some circumstances (like rain, which we get a lot of up here in Washington), it significantly decreases visibility. I had a much harder time seeing the road last night than I ever have before. I still have the stock bulbs and could switch back any time I wanted and as of yet I'm not going to. If you are planning on getting these lights, especially if you live somewhere with weather issues, just remember that. The yellow fog lights would probably help considerably in this situation (too bad they're so ugly!) This just reminds me why white Luminics bulbs are $25 and white HID is like $600-1000! I've still got my fingers crossed that some reputable aftermarket company will make HID projectors for the tC and I can get the color I want with the light output I could really use!
Old 06-12-2005, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member

Wait a few nights. I thought the same thing about my UV's, but they keep getting brighter each night. Stick with them.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

^^^^ they do get brighter like he said. wait it out n u'll see.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmmmmmm. To be honest my UV's aren't as bright as my previous "purple" tinted bulbs by Eurolite. They are not as bright, but it works.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol the first night when I got my Pure Blues, I was going home and surrounding lights overwhelmed them so at one point I had to stop and get outta my car to make sure they were still on! lol

but now a few nights later, wow.. I love them! I can't wait for them to get brighter if they're not up to their brightest yet..

-Emo
Old 06-12-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There not getting brighter... ur getting used to them.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member

Mine are getting brighter. I can see how someone can say its only your vision getting use to the new light. Well, I remember the first night I got them in, i stood in front of the car and just gazed at them. Now, 4 nights worth of running, they are noticeably brighter, hands down. I did a test to prove my theory. I went onto a section of backroad with absolute darkness. I sat in the road and used a section to gauge the brightness and angle of the lights. I went back to the same spot and the visability had almost tripled. Not just in brightness, but in visible angle to the side of the car. Just give them time, like I said I wasn't too thrilled with the result the first few nights, but after last night I am absolutely thrilled. These are just my own observations.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know i guess it just sounds weird that after a couple of days they would get brighter. I myself dont own any sets yet. I want to order the UV's but i havn't seen many pictures of them. If anyone can post a picture of them that would be great.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is a bit surprising that they'd get brighter, but it doesn't sound that weird to me. If the filament has some sort of coating or something happens after it burns for a while, it would make sense. I know it's completely different, but lanterns burn brighter after you use them for a little while. I'm maybe hoping for 20% brighter - the 300% that Brinkley reported isn't something I'm holding out hope for.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

are they pointing up? lol i thought the same thing but they didnt get brighter its just not poiting in the same direction so you have to get them adjusted =)
Old 06-13-2005, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think they're pointing the same way. The reflection on the garage wall looks about right. They might be a bit high, but somehow since the bulb is shaped the same way and they were level before, I doubt they need adjustment. I'll pay attention though.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have seen these types of bulbs get brighter.. it is almost always because the filtering is burning off the bulb, meaning they are essentially working their way back to stock. If they are only about $20 - $30 a pair then dont expect too much from them. Not familiar with the luminics brands, but I have never found a stock replacement that is simply filtered that is even close to being worth the money as far as quality goes... just my opinion though.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member

Mine could have been a total fluc, but I am very happy with the results!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol. They're getting brighter because they're burning through the coatings.

Silverstars Silverstars Silverstars.