Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Mounting Cold Cathode Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Mounting Cold Cathode Tubes

I received my Randode CC kit today and the installation instructions are understandable and good, except I am uncertain about one thing: the exact, best position and method for mounting the four 12" cold cathode tubes in my xB. I have read the major threads on DIY, How-To and Tips on ColdCath install.

Originally Posted by Randode's Installation Instructions
Mount a cold cathode under each side of the dashboard with the zip ties provided. There is a bracket and a cable on the drivers side, and a wiring harness on the passenger's side that you can zip tie the cold cathodes to ...

Secure a cold cathode under each front seat with the zip ties provided (there are two rings under the fabric on the bottom of each seat. You will have to feel around under the seat to find these, then you can pull the liner to the side to expose the rings ...
Ok, I carefully inspected under the dash and seats:

1) Driver's Side: I removed the fuse box cover, opened the driver's side door, kneeled on the ground and looked up the at the spider web of wires, mechanicals, and other anatomicals; also used a mirror. Do you suggest fuse box bracket on left to the right wiring harness, parallel to dash front bottom?

2) Passenger's Side: I opened the driver's side door, kneeled on the ground and looked up the at the spider web; also used a mirror. Do you suggest the tube be mounted in front of the 'glove box', parallel to dash front bottom?

3) Under Seats: I opened all door's, kneeled on the ground and looked up the at the underside of the seats; also used a mirror. The back of the seats have a bulge that lowers clearance. The front of the seats has a recess that increases clearance. I'm not sure I found the 'rings' under the fabric referred to in the instructions; please describe the rings and their position and where exactly the tubes should be mounted.

I have several mounting concerns:

1) The tubes are very fragile. I want to mount them so that passenger's feet or cargo does not accidentally break/crack the tubes. Is a clear plastic guard a good idea? How can I best protect the tubes from breakage?

2) Other SL threads I have read bring up the issue of the front light beams going up into the dash and leaking out cracks. The threads suggest some kind of reflective cover on the top of the tubes to make sure the light reflects down, but not up. What do you suggest? Reflective foil? White plastic? Tape? Anything?

Thanks for any install suggestions. :D RPM
Old 09-30-2004, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

it appears as if you are on the right track wit the front tubes. For the rear, those rings are maybe 3/8" in diameter and are usually just under the edge of the liner under the seats. I would say they are about 6" forward of the back of the seat. They can be a pain to find, but once you know what you are looking for its easy. Please let me know if you need more help.
Randode
Old 09-30-2004, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode
... They can be a pain to find, but once you know what you are looking for its easy ... Randode
Thanks Randy. I'll recheck for the rings come daylight. RPM
Old 09-30-2004, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

PM me tomorrow to remind me to take pictures of where i mounted mine exactly... :D :D That is if you would like me 2... :D :D
Old 09-30-2004, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I need to pull my cathodes from Randy back out to put them in tubes I got from Tap Plastics. These tubes will protect them and allow me to put a little black tape over the one under the drivers side and stop the shine through the dash/steering. They are a close fit so a few spots of hot glue should secure the ends.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=274&
Old 09-30-2004, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i'll take pics of my mounted cathodes too...i'll post it up later or tomorrow

JC
Old 09-30-2004, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

i was just looking for this type of info..(thanx chucksu for pointing it out.)..im more of a PICTURE person. i would also like to see the pics of where it was mounted on what.etc.etc.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Yeah I'm sure I'll need this thread in about a week or so when I order mine.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dewmerz
... put them in tubes I got from Tap Plastics. These tubes will protect them and allow me to put a little black tape over the one under the drivers side and stop the shine through the dash/steering ...
Looks like you ordered four 'Tube-Pak Display w/ Caps 1" x 12" - $1.60/each' from Tap Plastics. Thanks for the idea and the link. The clear plastic tubes look like they will protect the CC tubes real well. Please let us know how this works out. :D RPM
Old 09-30-2004, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll see what I can do to get mine into the tubes and re-mounted this weekend after my springs get installed. :twisted:

I drive by one of the Tap Plastics store every day so that is how I came up with the idea for the tubes.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really don't think you're in danger of breaking your cathodes by kicking them when they're mounted high up on the bottom of the seat. I've had mine in my car (at one point there were 5 under each seat, 3 red and 2 green mounted on the slider and the seat bracket) for quite a while now and still haven't broken any of them.

The only place you could mount cathodes that you'd need to worry about is on the side of the door sills, where Opr8r has his LED tubes.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max2k
I really don't think you're in danger of breaking your cathodes by kicking them when they're mounted high up on the bottom of the seat. I've had mine in my car ... for quite a while now and still haven't broken any of them...
You say, "...had mine ... for quite while..."
That could mean up to 18 months. That's not that long. You've been lucky.

I'm a believer in Mr. Murphy... If it could happen; probably will, eventually. I owned my last vehicle for 20 years! That's a lot; I'm not proud of keeping it that long; but, it lasted with very little breakage... partly luck and partly care and prevention of problems with the fragile stuff.

Thin glass tubes down at the foot level invite breakage in time. I'm going to provide some simple protection so they last. RPM
Old 10-01-2004, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the cathodes are far away from your feet when installed...they are pretty much tucked in under the dash and under the seats...the only way you can actually kick the cathodes i have is to aim and kick intentionally

...plus, i think the cathodes will be a little unstable inside those plastic tubes you guys mentioned...it'll bouncing around inside the tubes i think...

JC
Old 10-01-2004, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by az_pinoy
...the only way you can actually kick the cathodes i have is to aim and kick intentionally
I know some kids that might ride in my xB that might do just that! RPM
Old 10-01-2004, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The cathodes should not be any more unstable than they are now. On the cathode I used to test the fit the square end is just slightly smaller than the round tube. My thought was to use hot glue on each end of the tube to fill the gap and secure the cathode. If it does not work then back to the drawing board.

Several times I have had things that were sitting on the back seat get shoved under the front seats when going out to lunch with people. They never remember the cathodes are there. So far I have been lucky but one day....
Old 10-02-2004, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still looking forward to seeing pics offered by ikhonlord and az_pinoy of their mounted CC tubes and comments by Dewmerz on how the clear plastic protector tubes worked out.

I mounted most of my Randode CC kit yesterday. I was especially impressed with the Randode 'Plug N Play' wiring harness. Makes the job go very smoothly. Here's a few comments on my installation:

Since I already had 3 rocker switches, with pilot lights, mounted and powered in the 3 blanks above the cig lighter, I abandoned (taped off) the harness's green power wire and used the accessories power that already went to my switch instead. I did use the Randode grounding method. This makes it so that the ColdCath lights can be switched on anytime the xB ignition key is in the ON or ACC position. With the Randode wiring method (green wire tap) the headlights or parking lights must be on for the ColdCath's to work.

As an old DIY post suggested, I used duct tape to secure the front inverter (transformer) between the two heater ducts with the two left and right white wires up and split to each side.

The most difficult part of the job for me was running the two rear feeder wires under the carpet from the mid center console to go out on top of the plastic floor vents under the seats. Definitely remove the jack and its cover on the left side. Then pull the carpet up to create traveling room for the fragile connector and wire. Place one hand into the hole in the carpet under the seat above the vent; feed the wire from the center console with your other hand until you feel it coming thru near the vent.

I found the 'rings' under the seats. Right now all four CC tubes are temporarily attached using trash bag twister ties. I'm waiting for pics from others and thinking about the best and easiest way to protect the tubes and to stop light beams from shining up and out cracks in the dash. Thanks. RPM
Old 10-02-2004, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure if this helps... it's hella hard to take pics up under the dash and seats. No wires or cathodes are visible where I have mine mounted. All my cathodes have been mounted there for months, and I haven't had any problems with them falling out r off, or breaking... and I'm always hauling around groups of rowdy drunk people.

I'll take some pics of them at night if you want...

First, under the passenger side dash:

The right side of the passenger dash cathode isn't secured to anything, it's just held up by the tight space. pic:

Driver's side under dash (right):

Driver's side under dash (left):

Back seat passenger side (right):

Back seat passenger side (left):

Back seat driver's side (right):

Back seat driver's side (left):

I also used to two empty slots in the back seat cathodes, and put a cathode under each front seat, using little strips of velcro. The "hard scratchy" side of the velcro sticks to the carpet nicely:

The velcro:

The seat is all the way back in this picture... when I slide the seat up, you can't see the cathode unless you bend down and look

Hope this helped out bro.... if ya want more pics let me know
Old 10-02-2004, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RPMxB
... and thinking about the best and easiest way to protect the tubes and to stop light beams from shining up and out cracks in the dash. Thanks. RPM
Are you talking about the crack between the steering wheel and upper dash? It might just be the way I have my seat and steering wheel angled, but the light never bothers me at all.

In fact, it looks tight as hell when you look at it from outside... the back of the steering wheel is all lit up in blue. I'll take pics tonight

Edit: don't worry too much about them breaking. I originally bought the blacklight cathodes from Randy, but they were MUCH too dim (maybe they'd be brighter now since I got the diamond plate mats) Anyway, I got all six of the blue cathodes from E-bay for $15 bucks. If one breaks, I don't think it'll be much of a problem to replace it for $2.50
Old 10-02-2004, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TokyoRaver
Not sure if this helps... it's hella hard to take pics up under the dash and seats...
It helps a lot; thanks very much for your pics and comments. It's not only hard as hell to take pics up there; working up there is a killer too!

I also used to two empty slots in the back seat cathodes, and put a cathode under each front seat, using little strips of velcro. The "hard scratchy" side of the velcro sticks to the carpet nicely.
I've was thinking how I could use those two empty slots. I think your solution is excellent.

Hope this helped out bro....
Yes, thanks again.

Are you talking about the crack between the steering wheel and upper dash?
Yes, those cracks. I have white tubes and the light comes thru a little.

don't worry too much about them breaking ... If one breaks, I don't think it'll be much of a problem to replace it for $2.50
Good point. :D RPM
Old 10-02-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oy, I think we're operating with different assumptions. When you buy cathodes from SVC or whatever (i use pctoys ones) they give you some sticky plastic bracket things that you can zip tie the cathodes to. I just stick those to wherever I'm putting my cathodes. You can see them in this pic, they're the square things:

Those stick great to the interior plastic and the seat brackets.

Quick Reply: Mounting Cold Cathode Tubes