Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Are nav systems really that useful??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Are nav systems really that useful??

Is installing a nav system in cars mostly just bling and not soomething used very much?
It certainly looks good all lit up on the dash with colorful maps displayed on it's screen, but if you don't happen to travel out of town that much or travel around in unfamiliar places as a salesman, do you really get to use it around town that much.
I wouldn't refuse one if it was given to me as a gift, but if I had to buy one for $1,500.00+ and maybe worry about it getting stolen does not seem to make sense. Specially being that the Scion is a cheap car to start with. Seems more natural in a big 7 series BMW instead. JMO.

Chombi
Old 07-03-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im the same way, if i was given one then i'd use it, but im not spending the money to get one. im my case it would be more for looks.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:35 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I have an nav sytem in my car (avic-n1) and i have used it ever since.. it feels weird driving another car without the system in.. maps.. directions... wow... and yeah.. i drive alot too.. very useful. i use it all the time.. if not.. i'll be watching DVDs..
Old 07-03-2005, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I got a D1 in my car, as seen in my other post. I easily agree with the point that it isn't worth 1500+ unless it will be used frequently or if one doesn't put miles on their car. Mind you i have put 980 miles on my car in technically less than a week of driving. However paying 1500+ to me for it would be a struggle..

Is it worth it? I'd say in consumer cars about 90% of the time it isn't. but then again like squall for those who add miles on like crazy, it might be a good investment... Plus the N1 has the bypassable dvdplayer.... oooohhhh...
Old 07-03-2005, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

i need a navi system, I travel a lot and get lost a lot too. Do u have to pay monthly to a service? im a total noob to navi systems....
Old 07-03-2005, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is no service to pay when using nav systems.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

doesn't one of the newer ones, either the avic n1 or n2 come with realtime traffic info just like the new RL... i could see that becoming very mainstream in the future, especially in places where traffic sucks like bay area or LA
Old 07-03-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If you drive alot nav systems are worth it I have had mine in for about 3 weeks and have used it to get to alot of club meets and when I plan road trip I dont need map quest any more just plug in the address and go its great
Old 07-03-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The D1 has realtime traffic - you do have to pay for that service and add the XM tuner as well. The reviews say the quality is mixed. I thought about that as an added feature on the D1 but at this point, if i got the D1 I wouldn't even get that part.

If you drive a ton or aren't familiar with the area, they can be great. If you don't, they're just fun. Either way I want one, I just can't justify paying for one. Right now anyway.

Oh... also, if you ever get something like this, report it to your insurance. They will probably add something onto your rates, but if you replace stock equipment with something this expensive and don't tell them, there is a good chance they won't cover it in case of theft.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you guys tried the magellan?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't like the look of it. My brain works pretty good for nav. Maps are a good backup. The in-dash Nav is better yet, but the real reason I want it is the looks and the ease of interface. I'm not suction cupping something else to the dash so I can squint at a little screen.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

I have a portable GPS unit and find it very useful. I use it all the time when traveling to meets or shows. I like the portable unit as I can use it for mountian biking or hiking also.

One drawback is it holds less memory. In the future I'll be buying a Navi Unit for my xB.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont have one, but i know they are functional for me! And I want one.......................That's the only reason I'm getting the car is for aftermarket nav. HOW BOUT THAT?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell me more about the insurance part of it? It makes it more or less? Or should u not tell the insurance company like with them and hiking your rate up for more reasons? I heard you don't get more of a discount if you add the side curtain air bags...... just a discount once cause it comes with wheel and passenger air bags............... But answer about the nav & insurance
Old 07-04-2005, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PrettyniceB
Tell me more about the insurance part of it? It makes it more or less? Or should u not tell the insurance company like with them and hiking your rate up for more reasons? I heard you don't get more of a discount if you add the side curtain air bags...... just a discount once cause it comes with wheel and passenger air bags............... But answer about the nav & insurance
I just recieved my insurance papers for my new tC. It seems like there is a separate category for coverage of added accessories, which shows up as zero in my declaration sheet at this time. I guess you WOULD have to declare any major adds to your car that could cost a lot to replace if it either gets damaged in an accident or stolen. I'm sure that will add a little bit to your premium payments. Otherwise they will just assume that everything in your car is OEM and they will most likely just pay for the cost of the standard replacement. You can always check with your insurance agent about this too.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right - if you have aftermarket equipment that is significantly different in price than the stock equipment, you should tell your agent. True, on one hand they will probably add a little bit to your payments, but if it gets stolen, you'll get your gear back, not a cheap deck or the stock deck.

As for discounts on the airbags, it's all up to your insurance company, but usually you get them for certain items - extra restraint systems is usually one - they don't care how many airbags you have, just if you have them.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not useful on GUAM. LOL
Old 07-04-2005, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboMe
i need a navi system, I travel a lot and get lost a lot too. Do u have to pay monthly to a service? im a total noob to navi systems....
no but u do have to pay when u wanna get updated maps on the dvds and they aint cheap
Old 07-04-2005, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont need to pay to get updates anything that is here today was here two years ago, buildings don't go up that quick, and if they do you can just go and get a gas from the mobil station, which used to be a citco station on your four year old navagation disk. The reason your using it is to find out how many more miles you can go with out chucking out doe on a new tank of gas! No big deal.... the majority of buildings don't move over night or over two to three years....... Gas stations always going to be a gas station and a fast food is always going to be somekind of fast food(maybe a coney next time)

If your to cheap to get an update cd that you really can go with out. Its okay, you probably couldnt save up enough to get a nav system anyway?

Not you, just saying, in general
Old 07-04-2005, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also with INSURANCE and NAV... If you get what i'm getting, which is a avn 5435 or 5495 eclipse will replace your unit if its stolen within the first year, and up to three years if you get it installed by a authorized dealer....... By the way, I'm accepting donations for my 5495 unit, since its considerable higher than that N1 unit.... send paypal donations to my email address :-) around$ 2,499

Quick Reply: Are nav systems really that useful??