Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Necessary Precautions for mounting Amateur Radio in xB??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member

Default Necessary Precautions for mounting Amateur Radio in xB??

Hello,

I have had my xB for a month now and I would like to install my 2M Amateur radio. The manual states that there are precautions to take as to not disturb the electronics. Can anyone help me out with this? I hope there are more Hams out there with an xB.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John
Old 09-04-2005, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member

Default Ham Radio

Did you ever get a responce to your e-mail?? I'm geeting a 06 soon xb and wanted to know if you got any thing done yet.

Kurt
KB9rto
Old 09-04-2005, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member

So far, I have NOT received any replies. I thought there would be quite a few Amateurs owning a 'box'. javascript:emoticon('')
Finger Tap

I am pretty disappointed javascript:emoticon('')
Sad. I guess I will have to ask the Scion Service people at my Dealer. I hope they will have some information.

Other than that, I really love my 'box'. I'm sure that you will like yours when you get it.

John
Old 09-04-2005, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

You can check my sig for a few pics of my Icom display mounted.
I mounted the main unit under the driver seat.The display is on the A pillar as you can see.The radio is a 50 watt radio on VHF and 45? on UHF.The antennae is mounted off of the driverside of the hatch.I have had it this way for about a year and a half with no probs.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info.

Just a few questions:

1) Did you wire directly to the battery? How did you route the wires?

2) How did you route the antenna cable?

3) Could you post a pic of your antenna mount?

Thanks again.

John
wb3hpe
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I am in Iraq right now so pictures are out of the question.
I routed directly to the batt through a hole that I drilled in the drivers footwell area.Same hole I used for my amp wire.Use a grommet and youll be all good.
The ant wire I ran under all the plastics on the driverside,under the rear seat and along the plastics at the bottom of the door,to the main unit which is under the driver seat.The face of the radio is mounted using an old cell phone swivel mount that is adjustable.I had to modify the mount to make it work for my needs.Uses only one allen head screw to mount into the top of the pillar.Works really good.
I used to have that Kenwood.Didnt have it very long though.I couldnt stand it.Never have been one to like Kenwood radio's.For some reason Icom and Vertex(Yaesu) suit me.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have 110w VHF GE Orion in my xB... its a remote mount, put the radio itself in the compartment next to the spare tire, ran the control cable along the side of the car under the carpet and put the head in the little tray under the AC controlls... i have had no issues running it at 110w... im using a MFJ 2m/440MHz antena on a lip mount on the rear door... also had a 45w UHF MDX hooked to the same antenna with a diplexer and had no issues... all my radios were directly wired to the battery... only thing ive noticed is you can hear the engine/alternator strain a bit when i key up at 110w but havent had any issues so whatever... ran a number 4 to the back for the radio... probably going to drop a 110w UHF Orion in there soon if i can ever come across one hehe...

i will take a pic this afternoon for you if you like
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member

I would appreciate any photos you could take. I need some ideas.

Thanks,
John
Old 09-07-2005, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

ne tips on hooking up a CB radio with a pa
Old 09-07-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need to get off my ___ and get certified...grrr.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What type of precautions was the manual taking about? For 2 meter I would probably run a good glass mount, please do not by the junk on Ebay. A good Larson or other brannd would do. I have a Kenwood TH6FA Tri Band and it works well on the stock antenna. My area has a lot of repeaters so its pretty easy to get a signal. Glad to see more Hams on this site.

73's

John
KG6KWX
San Clemente, CA
Orange County, CA
Old 09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats a ham by the way? just curious
Old 09-07-2005, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Ham Radio a.k.a. amatuer radio had been around for a while; it's a license based communications system that can utilize satellites and repeaters to talk all over the world (assuming you've got the right class license)

not too hard to get certified; i got my tech license when i was seven

13years later ive still got my license

~tesh

ke6ckn
Old 09-07-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jallamas
What type of precautions was the manual taking about? For 2 meter I would probably run a good glass mount, please do not by the junk on Ebay. A good Larson or other brannd would do. I have a Kenwood TH6FA Tri Band and it works well on the stock antenna. My area has a lot of repeaters so its pretty easy to get a signal. Glad to see more Hams on this site.

73's

John
KG6KWX
San Clemente, CA
Orange County, CA

depending on the amount of power you are going to put out, and how far you wanna get out, glassmount may not be your best bet... a lipmount on the back door is nice for something non permanent... but when i get all my antennas in im going to swiss cheeze the hell out of the roof haha... ya repeaters down here suck, especially when none work after a hurricane...

-Frank
KI4IJQ
Miami, FL
Old 09-07-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

here are some pics of the rather unfinished install in my box...

overall rear shot

closeup of the antenna and lip mount...

the orion head... there are two rather thick DB25 cables coming out the back, one goes to the orion itself the other goes to the speaker then to another DB25 to DB9 cable that goes to my Smart Siren...

im working on a cover to go around the head so there isnt that gap

have to fix the gap around my radio/lcd also... you can see i mounted the speaker behind the cup holders... the cups still fit, and i dont care if anything spills on the speaker as its weather proof..

woo woo winamp hehe

orion is the compartment under the sub...

mmm, messy... ya like i said, this isnt done, on the top is the orion... mmm 110w, love the heatsinking hehe... and under it is the Smart Siren 2000... my strobe supply (not shown) will be next to the SS2000...

obviously the Smart Siren isnt hooked up yet... but cant wait... yay PA and radio-rebroadcast hehe
Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do not like the way that antenna is installed! Yes, a glass mount my not be your best bet but I can tell you that install is not much better. In my opinion.

John

kg6kwx

San Clemente, CA
Old 09-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All recent cars that have many 'puters controlling various bits carry that sort of warning about 'foreign electronics' possibly munging things.

Good mobile gear, well installed, shouldn't present a problem so long as the RF levels are within reason.

If I were doing it I'd probably consider adding a bit of extra filtering to the power feeds to make sure that nothing noised up the power to the car's 'puters, and I'd limit myself to reasonable ERPs and maybe even add grounding straps between some body panels and such.

Normal 'good practices' should allow a trouble free install...
Old 09-08-2005, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jallamas
Do not like the way that antenna is installed! Yes, a glass mount my not be your best bet but I can tell you that install is not much better. In my opinion.

John

kg6kwx

San Clemente, CA
ya glassmount sucks ___ tho, unless your somewhere like CA where you can hit every repeater with like 300mW... here repeaters are fairly spread out and not very high up since we have no natural terrain... plus my radio puts out 110w which would be unadvisable to run out a glassmount...

anyway im putting a 5/8ths larson dualbander on the roof hopefully next week and getting rid of the lipmount... also going to put a 2.4ghz larson near the front, and maybe a 6m hamstick... who knows
Old 09-08-2005, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FLECOM, Out here in CA glassmounts work great. With 45 watts you can do alot here with that power. It sucks that you guys are so flat there. After your install I would like to see pictures of the antennas.

John
kg6kwx
San Clemente, CA
Old 09-08-2005, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

sure will do! cant wait to take it to a scion show with like 5 antennas on the top and everyone be like... wtf?

ahh well, i love being the crazy one :p

Quick Reply: Necessary Precautions for mounting Amateur Radio in xB??