Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New deck = car trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New deck = car trouble?

I installed an eclipse 8454 in my car yesterday and since I've been having some (semi) serious problems.

First, the deck kept being buggy, everytime I'd turn the volume past 45 it would should itself off then come back on and continue this until I turned the volume down(no amps were hooked up at this time). After checking alot of things I decided to reground the deck, this worked and I figured my troubles were over.

Then, after installing the deck my battery dummy light was on, drove down the road and it went off. Today, first time I started it since, it happened again, I revved the engine and it went off. So I leave my parents house and about 10 minutes in to the drive the deck shuts off and a few of my dummy lights come on(my e-brake, VSC, ABS, and my Traction lights). The deck keeps trying to power back up but can only manage a blink or two before it shuts off again.

I get home(another 5 mins), shut off the car, check the engine bay for loose wires. Start the car and it doesn't want to turn over but does(all the previous dummy lights are off but the battery light is still on). I let it run for a minute, remove the deck and when I try to start the car again it won't start. Jump it, it starts up. Let it run, off, on, it's having some trouble. Repeat, it's having more trouble and almost doesn't start.

So what the hell? Wiring problem? Deck shorted something? Car is f*cked?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you tried putting the factory radio back in and seeing if it all goes away?

did you wire the harness yourself? maybe somethings wired wrong
Old 12-26-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have no clue where the factory radio even is, this is the 5th deck I've had in there, and I checked the wiring atleast four times because I was stupid and wired the remote turn on to the wrong blue wire...couldn't figure out why my amp wouldn't power up lol. But ya, everything on the wiring harness is a-ok, looking at it right now.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is your alternator ok? does it smell bad under the hood?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smells hot and/or like burning.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by failed_ethics
Smells hot and/or like burning.
alternator might have fried, thatll bring on the battery light and such. happened on my blazer the other week.

if you can take it off, most parts places will test it or you for free or if you got it off you can turn the pulley and see if it feels grindy or noisy.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My negative battery terminal(aftermarket) is kinda loose on the post. Could this have caused it? I have a replacement due in tomorrow, so if it might be this I'll wait til the mail comes.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I DOES sound like you might have alternator trouble, have it tested. A loose connection on your battery isn't good either, it's good your getting a replacement for it.

Your car is older than most Xbs out there and if you have had your amps installed for quite a while and listen to your tunes with the volume way up then eventually somethings gotta give. I wouldn't be surprised if it is your alt since our electrical systems aren't designed to have much reserve.

Hopefully we are all wrong and it's something that's easy to fix. Alternators usually aren't very hard to replace but I can't say for shure on our cars since I haven't had mine off yet.