Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New Scion xB owner needs advice on Subs. Can u guys help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default New Scion xB owner needs advice on Subs. Can u guys help?

Hey guys! Im new to the forum and i'm also a proud new owner of a BOP xB. I have had my xB for about a week now and im itching to get some SUBS!! I have been looking around and i cannot decide on 2 12''s or 2 10"'s. i was wondering if i can get some input on what some of you have done to your xB's. i was looking at Pioneer subs and Fosgate subs, i im not very knowledgeable into the brand or technical side of audio so can YOU GUYS HELP! PLZ lol.

Thanx

Nocfire
Old 06-23-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you want amazing sound for an amazing price go with Elemental Designs! www.edesignaudio.com You will not be dissapointed. I'm running all ELEMENTAL DESIGNS: (2) 13Kv.2 with a NINe.2x and a set of eDi6000s and a NINe.4, and I absolutely LOVE my system!! Here are some pics!

Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It really comes down to musical taste... 12's are typically going to be more powerful simplu because they will move more air than 10's when comparably powered. But they won't sound quite as "clean" as 10's. Just make some friends, see what they're using and listen to their systems, and decide for yourself. I use 12's myself.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PaRaGoNViCtiM
If you want amazing sound for an amazing price go with Elemental Designs! www.edesignaudio.com You will not be dissapointed. I'm running all ELEMENTAL DESIGNS: (2) 13Kv.2 with a NINe.2x and a set of eDi6000s and a NINe.4, and I absolutely LOVE my system!! Here are some pics!

Damn - nice setup dude... Roughly, how much did that entire setup (from ED) cost you?

keep up the g00d work!
- sh00k
Old 06-29-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the $100 questions is.... do you want a spare tire? do you plan to use the back for loading anything? Are you going to use your car for shows? DB Drags?

Well anyway, since I'm a family man I went with the audioformz enclosure. it fits a 10" sub. It goes plenty low for me and it has enough bump too. I had a single bandpass box lying around and was using that for a while. Bandpass will give you a lot of volume (thump) but is not accurate. meaning its boomy! my box is a sealed enclosure so its tuned to give me low bass (which is what I want).

fyi this is not my setup, this is from the website. I dont have the amp rack, my amp is under my passengers seat. I can still access my spare tire too.

just my .02
Old 06-30-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10's are better for a high bass, 15's are better for a low bass, but the best bass quality comes from a 12" sub, i like listening to all types of music...rock, rap, punk, the only sub that i have ever heard that will play all is the Kicker SoloBaric...i also have the 6 1/2" kicker component system with it, kicker 4" speakers, as well as 6 1/2" in the rear... i have never meet anyone who had better sound quality as well as being louder..and i only have one sub.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by pballplayer18
10's are better for a high bass, 15's are better for a low bass, but the best bass quality comes from a 12" sub, i like listening to all types of music...rock, rap, punk, the only sub that i have ever heard that will play all is the Kicker SoloBaric...i also have the 6 1/2" kicker component system with it, kicker 4" speakers, as well as 6 1/2" in the rear... i have never meet anyone who had better sound quality as well as being louder..and i only have one sub.
Although your statement is true, it all depends on the woofer travel too. Not just size.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

In my experience, the Kicker squares aren't the most musical of subs. They are killer with the lows, but not nearly as clean as JL or Alpine.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a system for various music, stick with two 10s.

As for brand, it's impossible to say, everyone has a subjective idea on what's the "best" My advice is go and listen to different ones, see what you like.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have 2x10"s, which I think sound awesome, but i don't have access to the cargo area, or the spare tire...So IMO, it really came down to what type of sound I was going for vs. how much I had to spend??? The $$$ always seems to cut into what I really want...LOL...
Old 06-30-2006, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 on Elemental Designs....check out thier website, they are forum sponsors here and you can get decent discounts on all thier stuff...they just extended the forum group buy prices permanently too....

I have one 13Ov.2 on a 9.1 at 2 ohms....it spits about 800-900 rms.....

I also have a set of the edi 6000s components on a 9.2 and they get very loud without any distortion...they are nice and clear sounding...the 6500s are sposed to be even better!

even just getting a sub...you are gonna have to think about alot of other stuff:

amp
head unit or line out converter
powering wires (knukonceptz makes some great stuff)
RCAs
enclosure

do alot of reading or go to a ma and pa shop and order through them....read read read before you buy and if you can listen....that will help you decide whats best for you....

-Tyler
Old 06-30-2006, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Saying "this size" is tighter/cleaner/whatever than "this size" is absolutely silly... It all depends on the woofer construction, enclosure, and installation.

The Kicker solo-barics are monsters at SPL, but aren't the greatest for SQ straight outta the box...

Elemental Design has some OUTSTANDING products with great prices to boot!!!

BTW: I use (2) 6.5" subwoofers and they hit just as low and clean as my 12" JL w3's did...
Old 06-30-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey Guys!! thanx for the feedback, all of the info provides alot of help in my decision. Ive been looking around since i posted this topic, and i came across a Bazooka Dual 10" sub enclosure w/ a 300w amp. It seems to be set at a decent price and figured its alot easier to buy an enclosure than buying everything seperate. Does anyone know if bazooka is a good choice? Also do u think my Stock pioneer stereo will with be compatable with most amps, subs?

Thanx for the help again guys! keep em coming! also post pics if u can.

Oh to answer someones question about space, im not concerned with space at all, im singel and im pretty much utillizing my XB as a cruiser/ dailey driver w/ a few mods.

Nocfire
Old 07-01-2006, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it could be "easier" to get an enclosure with amp and everything....but ive heard alot of people bash em...never heard too many of them myself though....

alot of people dont like bazzoka.....depends on the price...just remember, you get what you pay for

though off hand if the bazooka is 2 10inchers, 300w going to the pair of them isnt a whole lot per speaker....depends on how efficient they are....

if you want to use your stock head unit, then youll probably have to get a line out converter....to change your speaker outputs to RCAs....

like I said before, listen to different setups if you can...your in CA so there should be at least a couple ma and pa audio shops around....

-Tyler
Old 07-01-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I havent heard of anyone who said "man my bazooka tube is the hotness and your twelve dasn't hit nearly as hard.
If space isn't an issue and you are willing to wait I would demo everything I possibly could. You will never be happy with a system if you havent heard it in real time. My advice is be patient and shop around at the local stores and don't be afraid to get some imput from the experts they will help out even if they don't have what you want.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
Saying "this size" is tighter/cleaner/whatever than "this size" is absolutely silly... It all depends on the woofer construction, enclosure, and installation.
I have two sealed eD 13Ov2s that hit hard, go low easily and are tight and musical. Who says that 12's are sloppy? x2 on the eD equipment!

I saw a pic of a Bazooka amp...it looked like a board from a transistor radio. Small, tiny components, did not look very substantial for 100w. Just my two Lincolns.

A separate amp and sub(s) box would be a better value and performance.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY

The Kicker solo-barics are monsters at SPL, but aren't the greatest for SQ straight outta the box...

Elemental Design has some OUTSTANDING products with great prices to boot!!!

BTW: I use (2) 6.5" subwoofers and they hit just as low and clean as my 12" JL w3's did...
I have a ported 19Ov.2 in my car that makes Mudvayne kill your body
Old 07-01-2006, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wait till notacop gets his two 19Ov.2s in....

those poor kittens

-Tyler
Old 07-01-2006, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member

I haven't heard too much of Elemental Designs, but trust these guys...if you got a good group of people saying they're pretty good, then they probably aren't wrong.

JL and Alpine are clean. New MTX is clean and powerful since they took Rockford's old front man and redesigned stuff. Kickers are raw bass and SPL, but no good for cleanliness.

I went with two 15" PolkMomo subs. For 15s, they're insanely clean and so powerful. The 12" PolkMomos hit real well and are, of course, cleaner than the 15s.

If you've got the money, go with JL. I love PolkMomo to death though, so I'm biased when I say go with them.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just put my 13Ov.2 in today....dang its beautiful sounding...I have it running on ~600w right now to warm up till I pump 900w to it....

I tell you, I personally like it better than the neighbor kids 2 rockford punch series 1...15inch subs

but thats not really apples to apples....

I would like to hear JL or alpine 12 to compare :D

-Tyler

Quick Reply: New Scion xB owner needs advice on Subs. Can u guys help?