Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Optima Red or Yellow top battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Optima Red or Yellow top battery?

will a Red or Yellow top fit in a 06 xB??

looks kinda big?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

yellow should fit... dont think there is a change between 05 and 06 for battery compartment size...
i have a yellow in mine
Old 07-12-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kkawana
yellow should fit... dont think there is a change between 05 and 06 for battery compartment size...
i have a yellow in mine
the yellow top dropped right in or did you have to do some mod.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats the info on the optima battery cause ive looked for one and it said they didnt make one for the xa's and xb's
Old 07-12-2006, 04:56 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member
Scinergy

i have heard alot of commotion about this battery. what is the difference between it and a regular battery?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

honestly... i dont know if any mods were done.... i think it just droped in place.....
audio shop droped one in for me while doing my install.... doesnt appear to any mods done...
Old 07-12-2006, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I believe a size 75 is the right size. Here is the Optima website: http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...utomotive.html

You have to pry the red transister box on your battery cable a little to make it fit--and I also had to get new hold downs.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No mods at all. It just drops in. The only problem is that the battery terminals are too far on the battery so that little "red box" that plugs onto the terminals has to be fit onto the battery but it's not difficult at all. I did mine in a matter of minutes. It just takes a little bending but once you tighten it down, it'll stay there. The difference between that battery and a regular battery is that the Optima series are deep cycle batteries and recharge quicker than normal batteries as well as them being dry cell instead of wet cell. That's all I know about them but if you don't have an audio system or live in a cold climate then there's really no need to have one. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chokingvictimr
whats the info on the optima battery cause ive looked for one and it said they didnt make one for the xA's and xB's
the Optima Red top comes in 2 sizes.......YES IT REALLY DOES.....i have the smaller one in my wifes car.........and it will work good in the xB also, id go with red top cause its cheaper, and it is better for out type of applications,
the yellow top is deep cycle s the red top is for every day starting and stoping, yellow is for like a massive stereo and use it for backup......

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 01:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2006, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you for the clarifcation on that! now what is the size of battery or number or whatever
Old 07-14-2006, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I used the Red Top for about 6 months and a coil went bad on me. I upgraded to the Yellow and I love it. The Yellow for sure comes in about 4 different sizes. The 75 is your basic one. I use the model with the top posts and side posts (GM sytle). I use the sides for my amp connections and the top for the factory connections. There's also a smaller Civic size and a monster GM truck size. Check with your local Autozone. You're more likely to get a better price there than at an install shop.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chokingvictimr
thank you for the clarifcation on that! now what is the size of battery or number or whatever
i think probably the 75, but here is OPTIMA's contact info if you need it

Toll Free: 888-8OPTIMA (888-867-8462)
Phone: 303-340-7440
Fax: 303-344-9905
Old 07-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

D34/78 I believe has the same dimensions, except is shorter.

At least in the tC...I'm pretty sure it was the same for the xB though.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

tried the Yellow top it was good.. but i was told to use the Kinitik power cell after i installed the SC, with the yellow top due to a change in pulley sizes on the Alt. my Amp used to cut off with the Kinitik Power cell it stays on now

Old 07-16-2006, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might have better results with Odyssey they make alot of batteries for alot of different companies...very good alternative to optima
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/
Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've had a red top before and a friend of mine had a yellow top. I was happy until the first time I killed the battery. After that, it didn't take long for it to die and it never fully recharged itself like it's supposed to. So I won't buy one again. I can get the same quality for half the price. The only thing good about those is you can mount them however you want. Whether it be upside down or however you want it. With a normal battery you can't do that.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive got a yellow in mine
Old 07-18-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As has been said, redtops are for normal operation, yellow tops are designed specifically for deep cycling- any kind of aux power situation, widely used on low speed electic trolling motors on boats.

Very few modern batteries deepcycle worth a damn- it has something to do with the way the plates are alloyed, iirc. Leave the lights on overnight, and very few will ever be the same again.

I had a red top that moved thru two cars- lasted 15 years, but then, I never ran it dead. Put one in my wife's car, and after she ran it dead a couple of times, it wimped out...

The yellow tops are very popular among audio enthusiast party animals- they show up for the game or concert a couple of hours early, party hearty running the sound system off the battery, and still have enough to start up after the show, get home...

Unless your stock battery is showing some deficiency, just keep it. It's not junque, at all...
Old 07-22-2006, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member

I had a yellowtop in my old ranger, and when the stock battery dies I'll put an optima in the xB. Ya don't have to worry about adding water or spilling battery acid or anything like that. Plus as was already mentioned you can run all your electronics with no problemwhen the engine is off. That unit from kinetic looks like a good setup too.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by eight08customs
tried the Yellow top it was good.. but i was told to use the Kinitik power cell after i installed the SC, with the yellow top due to a change in pulley sizes on the Alt. my Amp used to cut off with the Kinitik Power cell it stays on now

Kinetik is buy far a much better battery, the 1800 is the same as about two yellow tops and about the same price as just one. Iam running a yellow top now and will be getting the Kinetik Monster to use as my main battery and use the yellow top as a extra for my amps.
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/default.asp

Quick Reply: Optima Red or Yellow top battery?