Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Panoramic roof and SPL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Panoramic roof and SPL?

I'm just wondering how would you use sound deadening on the roof? Also worried about the rattles I might get with 2 15" L7s...

Just wondering if the actual glass would be covered under warranty? It would suck if it was treated as body work... They do fix sunroof as a warrenty issue right?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I would certainly hope EVERYTHING is covered for the standard 3 yr/36,000 miles. Not sure why the good ol' reliable Toyotas (and now Scion) don't come with better warranties. If Hyundai can offer 100,000 miles/10yrs., why can't Toyota??

Kevin
Old 04-12-2004, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Because they don't have to. Toyotas are a much bigger selling car.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member

Default 10 yr. warranty

It's not a matter of them coming with the warranty, it's just the Hyundai's and kia's have the extended warranty worked into the price. You just don't have the option of choosing it or not. And since most car-buying or financial type sites would recommend against an extended warranty (paying present day money or worse yet, financed with interest on it, on an insurance policy that won't go into effect for 3-5 years when the first warranty runs out) I would say we're better off with the shorter warranty.

The longer warranties are just what Hyundai and Kia do to get you to make the decision of buying a shoddily made car. They work it into the price so it looks like they're so sure of their cars they're willing to give you a 10 year warranty. But really, if you pay $8000 for a Hyundai, you're getting a $6500 car with a $1500 extended warranty. The fact is, most people don't keep their cars ten years (financially, they should), and those long warranties aren't transferrable (unless you sell the car to someone in your direct family, son, mother, brother, etc.) I think most people don't read that fine print, or say to themselves that they're going to keep it 10 years, then three years later, they're sick of driving a rattling, piece of crap, they're most likely doing a little better financially and they decide to move up to a quality car, go to sell it, and "poof!" that warranty drops to 5/50, just like everyone else's. You think Hyundai and Kia don't know this? I bet they only have to worry about 20% of their cars for that full 10 years, probably 80% of people sell them way before then.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ride
it's just the Hyundai's and kia's have the extended warranty worked into the price.

The longer warranties are just what Hyundai and Kia do to get you to make the decision of buying a shoddily made car.

they're sick of driving a rattling, piece of crap,
You're an idiot. You can check any reputable car journalists site and see that Hyundai's reliability ratings increase every year. Hyundai offers the warranty because it's a great way to sell cars. It doesn't matter if it's HP, displacement, or a warranty; big numbers sells cars to the general public. They're making huge gains into the American market, even faster then the Japs did. It's becuase they build a solid car, and will stand behind it even if something happens.

Did you get beat by a Tiburon lately?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my cousin beat a v6 tiburon in his 01 civic...
Old 04-22-2004, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by djimpak
my cousin beat a v6 tiburon in his 01 civic...
Wow, guess that means all 01 civics can beat all v6 tibs.

btw, I've seen a v6 tib beat a Z06.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

01 civic with k20a2 swap... duh! no stock d17 civic can beat a v6 tiberon
Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ride's post sounded pretty dead on to me.
Makes total sense.
And, by the way, korean cars are crap compaired to japanese cars.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member

Hey y'know, some people can't see the light even when it's shining right in their eyes. Y'think they don't calculate the cost of that warranty and add it to the manufacturing cost, and other costs, and then make their determination of the selling price based on the profit margin they're shooting for, it's called accounting.

Guaranteed, yes, it's marketing genius, it's helped them sell a lot of cars, but it's just part of the shell game has already been played. You think they just tacked on 5 extra years for free? Wow, no wonder your posts are so bitter, if I was wearing blinders as tight as your's I'd be bitter too.

Heehee, flaming is fun :twisted:
Old 04-22-2004, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member

I have to agree even though korean car manufacturer have been improving in their ratings lately I dont think its been seen long term yet how good they actually are. It takes atleast like a decade for a manufacturer to build a reputation of reliability and only a few shoddy modles to tear that reputation down. Even with the 10 yr warranty I wouldnt buy a korean car, even though it has that warranty doesnt bar it from having problems down the road and bringing it for repairs, etc. I dont know if any korean built cars have that stamina and quality build to make it to that 150000 or 200000 mile odometer with just that occasional tune up or oil change like the toyo's, honda's, and nissan's.

Also, tiberian fyi please refrain from using the term 'jap' as it is a racist and degoratory term used towards ppl of japanese descent. It is better to refer to it as 'jpn'.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If I needed a basic car to just commute and run errands in, I'd consider a hyundai. I think it'd be fun to see how much abuse the car could take before that warranty runs out
Old 04-22-2004, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldnt buy a kia or hyundai. even if they are improving, i still wouldnt buy one. somebody i knew had a kia or hyundai that had the transmission replaced 6-7 times. and this car was just for daily driving, no racing at all.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And remember, just because the car has a long warranty, doesn't mean they will always bee cool to honor it or it doesn't include extra costs. I would rather have a car that has a reputation for lasting, than a "promise" to fix it when it breaks. I will alway vote for superior engineering over the company that can says they will cover your ___ when things go wrong.

I read about a lot of warranty issues where by the end of the day, you're dealing with shoddy dealers or mechanics that see thing their way and they don't really care what you say because it's not their car anymore.

take it to head of the company, take it to court...i'd rather just have the better made car to start out with.

The guy who started the 10 year warranty over at Hyundai is doing the same thing over at Mitsubishi now. I don't think it's transferrable tho. I know suzuki warranties are, tho. but they're at 7 years. I think dodge is, too....7 years, that is. 7 years on a srt-4 decked out with mopar upgrades would be cool. but then so would a lancer evo covered for 10 years.

but i'll take my avensis based scion for the 2 years my warranty will last(lotsa driving) thank you very much. there should be enough camry's around to do an engine swap in the future should that come up.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My uncle is a mechanic with his own shop... Nuff said...

I can buy any car and not even worry about it :D

Yes I am bragging :D
Old 04-23-2004, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ you're lucky.... i wish i had a mechanic in the family or else i would be driving a 240sx..
Old 04-23-2004, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member

When they were first introduced to the states Hyundais originally had a warranty of 3yr/36,000 miles... then quality issues started popping up all over the place (engines dying, transmissions going, etc. etc.)... after that in order to restore confidence in their product they started offering the 10/100,000 mile warranty...

the warranty is simply a marketing ploy to get people in the door to look at (and hopefully buy) Hyundais (and now Kia's)...

if you can buy a Hyundai and pay for it with cash then you're way ahead of the game...otherwise after 3 years there is very little value left in their cars... that's why Hyundai WON'T lease the cars they sell...

that's just my 2 cents worth...

have a great one...

later...
Old 04-24-2004, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*shoots KAuss in the forehead with a Spaceman Spiff dart gun*
Old 04-24-2004, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone noticed that the topics of debate in this forum never end up how they start? Korean cars suck from a glass roof? Driving over 100mph from a navigation system? Weird.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't stand forums that never answer questions that pick up half way... Well I frequent this forum... So I don't miss much between visits...

For those that visit every few days, I can see your frustration :D

But feel free to jump back ON topic because I'll be there to comment on it :D

Quick Reply: Panoramic roof and SPL?