Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Programming the xB keyless entry system

Old 03-12-2015, 12:16 AM

Where are the places people are buying Fobs from? Is ebay the only real place to look? I wouldn't mind trying to get a new fob if they were available and affordable though.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eBay is your best bet unless you want to pay 'dealer prices'...bought three on eBay a month or two ago (one new OEM, one used OEM and one off-brand) and all three of them work just fine.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Just ordered two used remotes from eBay for $20. Let's hope I can get at least one of them programmed to the car! Thanks for the great post!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:40 AM

The programming procedure is really goofy, but it does work.

EBay. I bought two "Scion" and one "Toyota" FOB's, all programmed just fine. Your Bow can hold programming for up to 4 FOB's.

The part number HYQ12BBX is what is important. They go for $5 to $15 depending on how lucky you get on your bidding.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Default Easier than reprogramming a Jeep remote

Take a moment to Google "Techno Jeep" and watch Julian Smith and friends reprogram a Jeep remote.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 AM

Default SAVED $90

What I learned (the hard way): when purchasing new key w/ chip it needs 2 programmings. Program for key to open doors is insert key into ignition twice open door 4 times, insert key...yada yada yada. Next you need to program the key to start the car. This worked for my 2008 tC on a key I bought at the mall for $60. FYI-you have to have a master/original working key to do this. Sit in car all doors shut, insert master key into ignition 5 times, on 5th time leave key in ignition. Open and close driver's door 6 times (gotta open it more than a couple inches). Remove master key and your immobilizer/security light will be solid. Insert new key. Immobilizer/security light will blink for 1-1.5 minutes. When blinking stops remove new key, insert master and start car. Turn off car, insert new key and it should start. Thank you to the guy who made a video on this and I can't tell you where I found that (can't even find it in history I did so many searches!).

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by chewmanshoe View Post
What I learned (the hard way): when purchasing new key w/ chip it needs 2 programmings. Program for key to open doors is insert key into ignition twice open door 4 times, insert key...yada yada yada. Next you need to program the key to start the car. This worked for my 2008 TC on a key I bought at the mall for $60. FYI-you have to have a master/original working key to do this. Sit in car all doors shut, insert master key into ignition 5 times, on 5th time leave key in ignition. Open and close driver's door 6 times (gotta open it more than a couple inches). Remove master key and your immobilizer/security light will be solid. Insert new key. Immobilizer/security light will blink for 1-1.5 minutes. When blinking stops remove new key, insert master and start car. Turn off car, insert new key and it should start. Thank you to the guy who made a video on this and I can't tell you where I found that (can't even find it in history I did so many searches!).
That's all well and good... but the first gen xB doesn't have a chip in the key
Old 07-24-2018, 06:38 PM

Any idea how to program key for JDM Toyota bB? Key is this one: https://www.kigoauto.com/remote-key-...ota_p1682.html

This works until "7. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.
8. Within 3 seconds, press either switch and release".
Key has only one button.

Add mode. To add a remote without disturbing existing remotes:

Start with the key out of the car, driver's door open and unlocked.

1.Insert key in ignition and pull out
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and pull out again.
3. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
4. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second.
6. Remove the key from the ignition lock.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once.

7. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.
8. Within 3 seconds, press either switch and release.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once if the registration was successful. They will lock and unlock twice if the registration failed.

9. If you have other remotes to program, go back to step 7 within 40 seconds.
10. Insert the key in the ignition or open a door to complete registration.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately I don' think you're going to get too much help on what the differences might be in programming a bB key. I would assume they'd be the same but who knows and most of the 'bB crew' are now long gone.