Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Programming the xB Keyless Entry system..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

eBay is your best bet unless you want to pay 'dealer prices'...bought three on eBay a month or two ago (one new OEM, one used OEM and one off-brand) and all three of them work just fine.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member

Just ordered two used remotes from eBay for $20. Let's hope I can get at least one of them programmed to the car! Thanks for the great post!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The programming procedure is really goofy, but it does work.

EBay. I bought two "Scion" and one "Toyota" FOB's, all programmed just fine. Your Bow can hold programming for up to 4 FOB's.

The part number HYQ12BBX is what is important. They go for $5 to $15 depending on how lucky you get on your bidding.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Default Easier than reprogramming a Jeep remote

Take a moment to Google "Techno Jeep" and watch Julian Smith and friends reprogram a Jeep remote.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member

Default SAVED $90

What I learned (the hard way): when purchasing new key w/ chip it needs 2 programmings. Program for key to open doors is insert key into ignition twice open door 4 times, insert key...yada yada yada. Next you need to program the key to start the car. This worked for my 2008 tC on a key I bought at the mall for $60. FYI-you have to have a master/original working key to do this. Sit in car all doors shut, insert master key into ignition 5 times, on 5th time leave key in ignition. Open and close driver's door 6 times (gotta open it more than a couple inches). Remove master key and your immobilizer/security light will be solid. Insert new key. Immobilizer/security light will blink for 1-1.5 minutes. When blinking stops remove new key, insert master and start car. Turn off car, insert new key and it should start. Thank you to the guy who made a video on this and I can't tell you where I found that (can't even find it in history I did so many searches!).

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-25-2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 04-05-2017, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chewmanshoe
What I learned (the hard way): when purchasing new key w/ chip it needs 2 programmings. Program for key to open doors is insert key into ignition twice open door 4 times, insert key...yada yada yada. Next you need to program the key to start the car. This worked for my 2008 TC on a key I bought at the mall for $60. FYI-you have to have a master/original working key to do this. Sit in car all doors shut, insert master key into ignition 5 times, on 5th time leave key in ignition. Open and close driver's door 6 times (gotta open it more than a couple inches). Remove master key and your immobilizer/security light will be solid. Insert new key. Immobilizer/security light will blink for 1-1.5 minutes. When blinking stops remove new key, insert master and start car. Turn off car, insert new key and it should start. Thank you to the guy who made a video on this and I can't tell you where I found that (can't even find it in history I did so many searches!).
That's all well and good... but the first gen xB doesn't have a chip in the key
Old 07-24-2018, 06:38 PM

Any idea how to program key for JDM Toyota bB? Key is this one: https://www.kigoauto.com/remote-key-...ota_p1682.html

This works until "7. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.
8. Within 3 seconds, press either switch and release".
Key has only one button.

Add mode. To add a remote without disturbing existing remotes:

Start with the key out of the car, driver's door open and unlocked.

1.Insert key in ignition and pull out
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the key in the ignition and pull out again.
3. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert and remove the key from the ignition again.
4. Within 40 more seconds, close and open the driver's door twice, then insert the key in the ignition and close the driver's door.
5. Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF, leaving the key on for one second and off for one second.
6. Remove the key from the ignition lock.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once.

7. Within 40 seconds, press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time and release.
8. Within 3 seconds, press either switch and release.

The doors will lock and unlock themselves once if the registration was successful. They will lock and unlock twice if the registration failed.

9. If you have other remotes to program, go back to step 7 within 40 seconds.
10. Insert the key in the ignition or open a door to complete registration.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Unfortunately I don' think you're going to get too much help on what the differences might be in programming a bB key. I would assume they'd be the same but who knows and most of the 'bB crew' are now long gone.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Default Resetting factory alarm on 2004 scion xb

Originally Posted by unik_one
I've programmed the remotes for a couple of xB's....it took about 2 min. to do, and I'm far from mechanically inclined. i.e. if I can do it, anyone can.
I just had my starter replaced after 15yrs. I had an after market alarm put on. When they went to remove the battery the alarm went off. So I told them they could cut the secondary alarm so they could trouble shoot if it was indeed the starter. So they did and they found out it was. But now my factory alarm isnt working.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:43 AM

I just tried it on my 2014 tC with original key given to me by the dealership. It works.
I thought it was the FOB or battery but it was after swapping out the battery the remote stopped working.

Rewrote (2 key turns) and it now works.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-25-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:17 PM
SL Member

Default Need help with Scion xA keyless entry

So I recently purchased a used 2004 Scion xA with the Scion security package installed. The previous owner only had 1 (Gray) FOB and 2 extra keys.

I went on eBay and purchased 2 of the regular generic (no Toyota or Scion emblem but claims works with most Toyota’s and 1st Gen Scions) black Key FOB for the other 2 keys.

I get into the programming portion which I have done many times with my other 2 Scion xBs and 2005 Scion tC and 2015 Scion tC, but when I get to the last step
(press and release both buttons and immediately press lock or unlock) I keep getting the failed to register lock/unlock 2 times.

Will the old generic keyless entry fobs work if it has the Scion security with gray fob? Or must I have the same gray fob for it to register?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:17 PM
SL Member

Since I was getting any response I assume nobody knew the answer so I figured it out myself yesterday. I purchased a Scion security FOB and found that
a generic black remote will not work with a Scion with Scion Security installed, you must have the same Scion security FOB for you to add another remote.

Future reference for all.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-25-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:02 AM
SL Member

I just recently purchased my 05 xB and it only came with 1 FOB. I purchased another FOB and have been trying to program it to no avail.
I've tried the procedure listed at list 20 times and get no response from the locking system when after the turn key to on and then back off part.
Just nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-25-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cefiro4
I just recently purchased my 05 XB and it only came with 1 fob. I purchased another fob and have been trying to program it to no avail. I've tried the procedure listed at list 20 times and get no response from the locking system when after the turn key to on and then back off part. Just nothing. Does anyone have any ideas?
I've never had that goofy FOB syncing procedure fail me. Probably done it 5 times. If the original FOB is locking and unlocking, then your system is operational. So if not missing a door opening, turn key, rub your tummy and pat your head step, its a head scratchier.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:02 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by DAHOZZMAN
I've never had that goofy FOB syncing procedure fail me. Probably done it 5 times. If the original FOB is locking and unlocking, then your system is operational. So if not missing a door opening, turn key, rub your tummy and pat your head step, its a head scratchier.
Did you start out with it running and shut it off and then do the procedure? Or start from it being cold? I'm just not 100% sure I'm doing it right because I get no response whatsoever.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you put a fresh battery in the new remote?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:52 AM
SL Member

yes it's got a new battery but that wouldn't matter because the locks never cycle for me to program it in the first place.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:25 AM

Will this work with a 2015 Scion xB?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-25-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:35 AM

Default Key Program won’t take

I hope the author of this post is still on the forum. When I try to add a fob to my 2006 XB The program doesn’t take. I go through the whole process turn the ignition switch forward twice the locks go up and down to indicate it’s in that mode then after doing the steps on the key fob the locks go up and down twice again indicating the program did not work. Question is if someone did the key backwards and forth five time is it in disabled the keyless entry how do you turn it back on if that was the case? Thanks in advance for the help
Old 08-29-2022, 12:57 AM

Default Need help

Originally Posted by Ihave4scions
Since I was getting any response I assume nobody knew the answer so I figured it out myself yesterday. I purchased a Scion security FOB and found that
a generic black remote will not work with a Scion with Scion Security installed, you must have the same Scion security FOB for you to add another remote.

Future reference for all.

______
My 2006 Scion XB Only came with one key. I am trying to program the generic remotes but keep getting a failed program signal from the locks going up and down twice. How do I know if I have the alarm system on the car? Also did the gray key fob work for it?

Quick Reply: Programming the xB Keyless Entry system..