Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Question about the '06 ipod headunit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Jo2
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question about the '06 ipod headunit...

where can I get some more info on this? The search function on this site takes some getting used to. My main questions are:
-where/how does the ipod connect to the headunit?
-does the headunit charge the ipod/power it up and down when turning the headunit or car on and off?? (I have these functions with the icelink in my audi a4, and they would be a must for me in my next car).
Old 08-22-2005, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Moved to ICE...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

To answer your question... ....No. The Ipod input for the head unit is just a 3.5mm jack(standard headphone) behind a little door on the console that says AUX. So no it doesnt charge and no it doesnt allow controls of the iPod via the headunit. Im almost 100% on that one. I will bring my iPod to work tomorrow and get in one of the cars to play with it. Otherwise I can pull out the owners manual again and check there.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by PeruzziScion
To answer your question... ....No. The Ipod input for the head unit is just a 3.5mm jack(standard headphone) behind a little door on the console that says AUX. So no it doesnt charge and no it doesnt allow controls of the iPod via the headunit. Im almost 100% on that one. I will bring my iPod to work tomorrow and get in one of the cars to play with it. Otherwise I can pull out the owners manual again and check there.
youd be right if you wernt wrong... the ipod upgrade consists of a new headunit, and a second jack in the center console, as well as a cable to attatch your ipod to the new jack. this jack is most definatly NOT just your standard 3.5 mm mini jack.

the new head unit displays info from the ipod while giving you the ability to controll the ipods track/playlist/artist/album selections. and yes it does charge the ipod.

if you plan on not upgrading your sound system for a while, IMO its a good buy. i dont plan on upgrading my system for close to 2 years. and when i do, its going to be a full carputer so i wont have a need for a mass storage digital audio player any more.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is confusing...the 2006 sound system comes with an AUX input. That input is located in the center console, on the floor of the console. You can plug an iPod in throug this port using a standard RCA cable. The upgrade y ou can buy gives you a much better input for the iPod. You connect the iPod through the same place you charge it, or connect it to your computer. You can then control it through your head unit, which is really, really handy. The port for it is located in the same place, near the AUX port. The iPod full connection option is $260. I'm glad I bought it. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 AM
Jo2
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome, thanks guys. Sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Hopefully I'll get some time for a test drive this week.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by PeruzziScion
as a "dealer" it might be a good idea to actually know what you are talking about before you answer.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member

hmm, I have a new scion xb 06 with the upgrade and the dealer did not give me any connector whatsoever. Does this mean that the dealer forgot to give me an adaptar cable? Cause I cant connect my ipod because i do not have a cable that would look like it would fit into that thing, and yes i did get an upgrade because i see the "ipod" sign on there and its not the AUX
Old 08-22-2005, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a ipod connective option another 250 dollars I believe... which the control you are able on the headunit too. the ipod connective will be right next to your AUX. The headunit will be different also made especially for the ipod (acutally looks better than the regular 06 head unit I have)
Old 08-22-2005, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member

yea i have the ipod capability installed, but is the dealer supposed to provide a cable or adapter for my hook my ipod into the port i have both AUX and iPod and it looks as if i need like an adaptor or something to plug my iPod into.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yea you should have gotten a cable that connects from the iPod port in your car to the dock connector of your iPod

its a totally different connector from the AUX connector but you can connect your iPod through that but you wont get the enhanced connectivity/charging through the HU.

on my tC I have both AUX and iPod connector ports
Old 08-23-2005, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member

ic ic, yea i got the connector ports but not the cable :-/ i guess i have to go back there n get them
Old 09-11-2005, 08:27 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question:

I have an 05 xA that came with the nice 06 head unit with the AUX button and volume ****. I have the holes in the center concole for the AUX input, but there is no jack there.

Question, Did the connector cable to run the wires down from the the HU to the jack come with the HU and the dealer just left it out, or do I have to buy it seperatly?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

you should only have to buy the cable to connect from the AUX port to your device (mp3 player, CD player or ps2, gameboy...)

if there is no jack there for the cable to go then yea something isn't right.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion tC AUX port Questions??

Hey guys,
I just Bought a Scion tC a couple of weeks agao and I noticed it has and AUX port in the center arm rest. I have the regular Stereo did not get the upgrade. can I use the AUX with my MP3 player with the head unit i have or not and if so how. thank guys
Old 09-15-2005, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Scion tC AUX port Questions??

Originally Posted by subnetangel
Hey guys,
I just Bought a Scion tC a couple of weeks agao and I noticed it has and AUX port in the center arm rest. I have the regular Stereo did not get the upgrade. can I use the AUX with my MP3 player with the head unit i have or not and if so how. thank guys
You would need a male-to-male wire adapter to connect your iPod to the AUX input. They have these at Radio Shack. Bring your iPod with you to show them the size you need (it's the hole where your headphones go)
Old 09-15-2005, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member

O i Got the Male to male conecter already what i need is that i connected the unit I have dell DJ and i coulnt get it to have the sound come out o fthe stereo?? my HU doesnt have a AUX button on it...
Old 09-15-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by subnetangel
O i Got the Male to male conecter already what i need is that i connected the unit I have dell DJ and i coulnt get it to have the sound come out o fthe stereo?? my HU doesnt have a AUX button on it...
only the 2006 headunits have the aux input from scion.. that's why it doesn't have an AUX input button on it.. your best bet is this cool device i got from walmart.. it's an fm modulator, sure you'll have people saying fm modulators are a joke.. but they just got bad ones.. this one i used for my friend was extremely clear! i even tried it in my tC.. was very impressed.. here's a link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...33257%3A164096

the nice part about this modulator is that you can select any frequency you like on FM.. instead of the others where it's preset to like 4 or 5 different frequencies.. trust me.. it works great..
Old 09-16-2005, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FM modulators are GARBAGE. G A R B A G E

If you live anywhere that has a good number of FM stations forget. Sound quality stinks.

You should have got the 2006 with the iPod direct connect link, not just the AUX. Sound quality is tremendous.

I did the FM thing...GARBAGE.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ptmccain
FM modulators are GARBAGE. G A R B A G E

If you life anywhere that has a good number of FM stations forget. Sound quality stinks.

You should have got the 2006 with the iPod direct connect link, not just the AUX. Sound quality is tremendous.

I did the FM thing...GARBAGE.
yeah too bad you didn't try the belkin i had a link to.. just because you had a brand that was garbage doesn't lend itself to the thought that all are bad.. you haven't tried the belkin that i tried, so you do not know what it sounds like.. I'm tired of blanket statements because someone bought a poor quality unit.. fact is that some FM modulators ARE garbage.. but the belkin that i have a link to is not.. if anyone doubts me.. go to walmart buy this exact one and see.. you'll be saying "that is far from garbage"..

Quick Reply: Question about the '06 ipod headunit...