Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Remote start on a 5 speed, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Remote start on a 5 speed, need help

Alright i've been looking into getting remote start, but I'm worried about accidentally leaving it in 1st gear, remote starting it, and next thing i know it's lurching across the street. I know that compustar is the only alarm that is supposedly remote start safe, but i wanted to know if it is possible to use a cheaper one and still have it be safe. I've heard the tc won't start unless the clutch is all the way down, but if this bypasses it then i'm still screwed safety-wise. Anyone who has remote start please help me out here :D
Old 06-20-2005, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for the remote start to work on a manual, you will need a clutch bypass. it will cost around 50 bucks(give or take) i don't think you should leave your car in first if you are going to use the remote start feature.

most/ if not all states consider remote start on a manual dangerous. most shops in orlando WILL NOT install remote start on a manual because it's illegal, but if you look hard enough, there might be a few shops that will do it.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

remote starts dont belong on manual cars...you would need to clutch pressed in..and as the last member said u would be a clutch by pass...never heard of that but...like i said before..they dont belong on manual cars
Old 06-20-2005, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say get the Compustar that is made for manual trannys and do it right the first time. I love mine and it works great on my 5-speed.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right.......i'm way past you guys on that part. My idea here is that you only need a clutch bypass if you leave it in 1st when you park. Around here it's usually very flat, and people i know with manual all say you can leave it in neutral and just use the parking brake. Now assuming that it is in neutral, would you still need a clutch bypass to start it? Because if not it would work perfectly, not starting in 1st and only starting in neutral, when the clutch safety switch is disengaged?

edit: VIP i like your compustar setup, but i'm looking at a difference of about $300 for another unit with all the same features(paging, etc.)
Old 06-20-2005, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just dont do it. You regret ever even thinking about the remote starter when you car lunges forward into the parked car ahead of you.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:51 AM
Banned
SL Member

^^ sounds like you speak from experience.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since it is very flat where you live, just use the hand brake and leave it in neutral. the motor will start fine(in neutral) you will still need the clutch bypass to start the engine. the clutch bypass is must for the remote start to work on a manual car(whether in gear or not).
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ignorance is not bliss. I can not stress this enough.

If you are worried so much about getting one, Don't get one. Period.

Clutch Bypass is nothing more than bypassing the switch that the clutch presses when it hits the floor. $50 bucks? What are you getting that from? It takes about 5 minutes to do and about 45 cents worth of parts.

I like how everyone equates remote start with it lunging forward. Do you guys not use your e-brake? If you're not in the habit of using it, definately don't get remote start. If a remote start is installed CORRECTLY (i.e. mine) It will not remote start unless the e-brake is pulled. So even if there was a chance I left it in gear (which I never was in that habit anyway being in florida), and remote started it, it would lunge about 2 inches, maybe 3.

Clifford RSX is a freaking amazing alarm, especially if you consider all the features built in that you won't be using at the moment but maybe some day you will (i.e. Turbo timer).

P.S. I <3 running my ac on a hot day 4 minutes before going to the car. Rather than a piping hot interior, I get a nice cool one. Impresses the ladies, too.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Rivulent"]
Clutch Bypass is nothing more than bypassing the switch that the clutch presses when it hits the floor. $50 bucks? What are you getting that from? It takes about 5 minutes to do and about 45 cents worth of parts.
quote]

i should have been a little more specific about the 50 bucks. that is how much local shops(if they are willing to install it) charge to have the clutch bypass installed(parts, additional labor) the additional labor is why it is 50 bucks and not 45 cents.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member

I had a remote start on my eagle talon and even with the E-Brake pulled up tight, and I do mean tight, apparently the starter still had enough tourqe to pull the car anyhow. So I would definately think twice before installing on a manual trans. car. I am definitely for the remote starts though living in AZ it really is hot so having the air already cooling the car down definitely helps! just my two cents
Originally Posted by Rivulent
Ignorance is not bliss. I can not stress this enough.

If you are worried so much about getting one, Don't get one. Period.

I like how everyone equates remote start with it lunging forward. Do you guys not use your e-brake? If you're not in the habit of using it, definately don't get remote start. If a remote start is installed CORRECTLY (i.e. mine) It will not remote start unless the e-brake is pulled. So even if there was a chance I left it in gear (which I never was in that habit anyway being in florida), and remote started it, it would lunge about 2 inches, maybe 3.

Clifford RSX is a freaking amazing alarm, especially if you consider all the features built in that you won't be using at the moment but maybe some day you will (i.e. Turbo timer).

P.S. I <3 running my ac on a hot day 4 minutes before going to the car. Rather than a piping hot interior, I get a nice cool one. Impresses the ladies, too.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="jlaznlover"]
quote]

i should have been a little more specific about the 50 bucks. that is how much local shops(if they are willing to install it) charge to have the clutch bypass installed(parts, additional labor) the additional labor is why it is 50 bucks and not 45 cents.
I work at a shop here in Tampa, I think we charge around 10 bucks if a car needs it. If i were the person I'd just do it themselves before they take it in, but most probably don't have the tools/knowledge to do it.

And yeah, that's true that a car with high enough torque could pull it. I haven't honestly had any problems so I can't say for sure how far it would pull it. But bottom line is, if you are worried about remote start and don't trust yourself to stay on top of it, don't get it. But saying flat out it doesn't "belong" in one could mean two things, both of which I won't say because it's mean .
Old 06-20-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never knew about the whole E-brake as a backup. That makes me feel alot better, esp. since i just always pull it up out of habit
Old 06-20-2005, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mainrodax
Never knew about the whole E-brake as a backup. That makes me feel alot better, esp. since i just always pull it up out of habit
Well, like I said, not all shops do it, and maybe not all alarms offer that protection. however, DEI (Viper/Clifford/etc.) remote start systems have a wire that must be connected to ground for remote start to work. Some shops might cheap out and just connect it to frame, however it should be t-tapped to the wire coming from the e-brake.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Rivulent"][quote="jlaznlover"]
quote]

I work at a shop here in Tampa, I think we charge around 10 bucks if a car needs it. If i were the person I'd just do it themselves before they take it in, but most probably don't have the tools/knowledge to do it.

quote]

word, one shop was trying to charge 45 and the other one i called charged 50 bucks. if i ever need to get a clutch bypass installed, i would definitely look your shop up if im in the tampa area.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jlaznlover
quote]

word, one shop was trying to charge 45 and the other one i called charged 50 bucks. if i ever need to get a clutch bypass installed, i would definitely look your shop up if im in the tampa area.
No doubt bro, send me a PM or something. Usually we charge 500 for the clifford but to be honest in the end your cost is going to be probably like 600 or so, because of the chip key bypass. Plus my boss might charge more after seeing what a PITA the car is to work under
Old 06-20-2005, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member

there is really no need for a clutch bypass, there are two plugs, one for the cruise control dis-engage and one for starting, just unplug the starting one.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 06-20-2005, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spyderz9
there is really no need for a clutch bypass, there are two plugs, one for the cruise control dis-engage and one for starting, just unplug the starting one.
not true. i tried that. You need to open the 12v circuit on the top switch and close the neg switch on the bottom.

All i did was buy a switch from a tacoma with the "clutch start cancel" feature and hooked it up in my car so it looks factory and i can return it to factory condition. The light is even amber
Old 06-20-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks rivulent, but im not in the market for a remote start system just yet. probably 2-3 months down the road. i still need to get other items for my car. when i am ready to get an alarm system though, i will definitely send you a pm.

my sister has a clifford remote start on her manual mazda 6. the place that installed it messed up a few times, but i think it works perfectly now. considering you already have one on your car. you will know exactly how to install it on tc with no issues.

Quick Reply: Remote start on a 5 speed, need help