Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Running a sub off factory stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Running a sub off factory stereo?

I have an external amp and sub sitting in my garage. I don’t want to change out my factory stereo, and I was wondering if it was possible to use the sub out on the deck. I plan on running a separate power wire from the battery, so I just need to figure out the best way to get the sub signal input and remote turn on lead. Is there a harness or plug I can use to get these from the sub jack on the factory deck? Should I just get tricky with a soldering iron, or is there a better way to convert the signal from the harness to the RCA in to the amp? It must be a low level signal since it goes into the power jack of the OEM bazooka, so I don’t think I could use the high level input.

Is there a better way to set this up?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

Stay away from anything which requires you to cut the factory harness. I have a custom made harness which has RCA's built in....I didn't have to make any modifications to my harness. This is a whole harness which connects between your factory deck and the factory harness. I have the RCA signal running to a Lightning Audio 1200 watt amp which is hidden along with 2 capacitors inside of the back storage panel next to the spare tire. Signal coming from the amp runs to a 2005 series KICKER L5 12" square in a tuned/ ported box and to 4 10" Kicker XPL's in sealed enclosures. Let's just say you can lay a quarter on the roof of my xB and you can make it jump about 6 inches when the bass hits.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

That actaully sounds nice. FM modulators are a pain in the ___!
Old 02-09-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Your harness sounds exactly like what I was asking about. Is there a write up someplace where I can read how to make one?

I haven't pulled my radio out of the dash yet, but it looks like I can just get a reverse wiring harness like this one: http://www.123av.com/DetailPage.asp?ProductID=SISTA02RB, and plug it in to the sub outs on the deck. Has anyone tried this yet to know if it fits?

If it fits, it seems to me, I could just use the ACC wire from the sub side harness as remote turn on lead and solder on an RCA jack onto the signal outputs. Where can I find a wiring diagram for each of those wires?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

if you have the factory deck, then there is no sub out on it. What they have basically done is run either a rear channel with a crossover on it or have a line-out converter. All a*cheap* line out converter is going to do is let you run RCA's. Unless you are willing to pay the big bucks, you will still need a crossover somewhere so that you only get the low frequencies going to your amp and sub or you will blow the sub. You do not want to run full range to your sub....Full range= blown sub. As for the harness you were looking at, it won't work as it is just a replacement harness. A harness like mine will run you around $60-$70 depending on the quality of the wiring.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thank you that really helps.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If you have a newer amp and it has adjustable inputs all you need to do is tap into the rear speaker wires and feed them into the amp for the signal. Run a switched power wire to turn the amp on and off. Also by using the rear speakers for the signal you can adjust the amount of bass with the headunit.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, you have to see if your amp can accept a high level signal, otherwise you have to step down the input to a low level with a line out converter (hi-low converter) IMHO the best way to do it...parts needed are forward and reverse harness and line out converter, perferably adjustable type. the parts should cost you no more than 60bucks to attain and install is a snap....lemme know if you need further help.
JP
Old 02-10-2005, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=42612 If you must use a line out converter, then this is what you need. It is very much a plug and play harness. There is no need to cut, splice, sorder, or otherwise modify your factory harness. You connect one end to your deck and the other to the factory harness and you are ready to go.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The ebay harness would work perfectly. Anybody know how to build one? Unless there is something hidden under the shrink tubing, it looks like there is less then $20 worth of parts there.

The factory sub has an internal amp correct? Does the factory harness send a high level signal or a low level signal input then? A wiring diagram of the factory sub harness would help a lot.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If your amp doesn't accept a high level signal, Wallyworld has the converter for like 20 bucks to convert the high power to low. To install the amp and subs, you don't even have to remove the head unit. Just pull the rear side covers to gain access to the rear speakers and tap into the wiring for the signal and run a power source and toggle switch to turn on the amp. The hardest part is getting to the rear speaker wires which isn't that hard. A sub harness is really unecessary for wiring up an amp and subs
Old 02-13-2005, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ooh a chic that works on her own car... i think that's hot! (sorry if i seem like a sexist pig, it's just my opinion)

you can get the standard toyota harnesses, Metra part numbers (70- 1761, and 71-1761, reverse) and attach a hi - low adapter to it...

I seriously hope that the ebay harnesses have resistors in the shrink tubing...
You can try signing up as a premium member to get the info on the aux plug... you can also try alldata.com if they don't have the info
sorry i couldn't be much more help...
Old 02-14-2005, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im guessing whats under that shrink wrap is nothig but a simple crossover..no adjustable............so you have no way of setting the output the way you want, unlike the adjustable type.....spend the extra money and get an ajustable hi-low converter....had nothing but good experience with them...btw...can make kits for 40 bucks shipped...pm for details..thats with instructions..xa/xb and tc..
jp
Old 02-14-2005, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks guys!