Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion tC Navigation system advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Yeah...

Originally Posted by SpdLmtNA
Originally Posted by RanmaP
Originally Posted by MeteorA
hi all..i am new here :oops: ..so dont flame me.. maybe he should try using a laptop navigation system? like using microsoft streets and trips 05 with the GPS.. i havent seen anyone using it yet, but maybe i will try when i got my new scion, as laptop prices are quite cheap nowadays.... just my 0.02 :D
I've looked into portable ones and laptop ones too... I was afraid that those aren't accurate and keeps loosing signals...

Because people always say you get what you paid for... Very true as I've spent so much trying to find cheaper solution and they are all crap so... its like if I had only gone with the more expensive stuff.

I wanted the Microsoft thing for the laptop too but... no sound.... its dangerous if I have to keep looking at the screen... plus where are you going to mount the laptop? Thats why I said no to that idea.

Ahhhh... this sheet is stressing me out. Really want something but not enough info to make a decision.
Hey, the laptop works great... dont buy the microsoft one, Im a GPS freak, so just to give you my advice, get the DeLorme Navigation system, they even have one that works with bluetooth.... aside from that it Talks! yay! $170 for the bluetooth one, or $120 for the USB powered one, at Staples

Do you buy a laptop mount or do you just leave it on the passanger seat? Doesn't it fly around when you make turns?

The review on the DeLorme NAV isn't all that great... since some people say it gets that thing confused at large intersection and one time a guy said it tried to tell him to go down a one way street. *haha*

On MSN CNet review the only one that got a 8.6 for a reasonable price was the TOM TOM go... anyone have that? This was a CNet recommend too.

The DeLorme scored an 8.0 I think.... hummmm.... what to do... what to do.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha... me and my friend rented a Toyota Prius (the new ones) and it had a navi in it, and while in New York, it told us to go down a one way road in the wrong direction also... but you have to realize, there are always updates for these softwares... Ive tried many of them, but the TOM TOM not yet... I heard it was only available with Europe's maps, last I checked, update me when you get more info.

Oh yeah, about the Laptop, I had only used it on long trips, where someone else was with me... other than that... CarPuter all the way
Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I see...

As far as I know... there is 2 version of Tom Tom Go... one is around 600-700 range and the other is around 800-900 dollars. If the part # says .80 or something then it comes with the 256 SD as for the maps I am not sure but I'd figure it would have at least the US. The other one comes with a 1GB SD card that has all maps pre-loaded. That ones has a part # ending with .81

I like to travel alone thats why I need GPS as when I am in cities I don't know I am already lost I might not be looking at signs (panic) so going down a 1 way street in the opposing direction is very dangerous. I mean... I'm driving so I just listen to what the audio instruction tells me... so... what the hell when you see a car coming straight at you.

There's a $50 rebate till 12/31/04 with the 256MB version of Tom Tom Go... but it seems like prices are going backup on these. About a month ago I was able to get one for 580 (after rebate)... not its more like 600 (after rebate) ____!... should of got it then.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got a Magellan 750NAV in my tC and it does a good job. This unit is "portable". If you've seen the Hertz Neverlost system this is the exact same thing.

I've got the antenna mounted at the base of the windshield and the head unit is hooked onto my drivers side vent inline with the insturment cluster. Looks perfect. Drawback is you lose a vent.

The CPU for it is mounted under the drivers front seat and it draws power from the cig lighter in the center console armrest power point.

You can find them on ebay for around $600.

Does the job, I can take it on biz trips and put it in any rental (done this several times) and I don't have to spend $1800 for the sexi Eclipse unit. Although I called around today for prices on it since it's sooooooo tempting. But, that money will serve me better in my IRA account.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I'll look into it

I'll look into it thanks...

I glanced but my 1st impression was like... its has an odd shape, then my 2nd was doesn't look like it has much color, what about touch screen.. *lol*

Yeah.. I know, I'm picky.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default Kenwood kvt-815

Originally Posted by StealthTC414
i have the kvt-815dvd in my tc and love it, i had to take the sliding door off the trim panel but my tv is open all the time and flows with the curve of the dash so it looks really good and the silver on the in dash matches the trim perfect

I just got the same unit but I wont get it installed until after x-mas. Crutchfield told me that it will fit and the door will still be able to close. Is this true? Did you try to modify it at all to see if the door would close? I travel a lot and so I leave the car in parking lots all the time. I dont want anyone knowing what I have.....
Old 12-15-2004, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn you, damn you all!

As I write this I'm sitting at Magnolia HiFi waiting for them to finish up installing the Eclipse AVN-2454 into my tC.

I'm so weak. The money will find it's way back to the IRA soon enough. I'll be selling the Magella 750NAV and a few other things to re-coup the cost of this upgrade.

I'll post pics once I get home which is where my digital camera is.

*grumble*
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member

Default kenwood 815

Originally Posted by StealthTC414
i have the kvt-815dvd in my tc and love it, i had to take the sliding door off the trim panel but my tv is open all the time and flows with the curve of the dash so it looks really good and the silver on the in dash matches the trim perfect

Can you submit some pics of the unit installed?? I want to see what you did to get the look.. I also need some ides before I install my unit. If you cant submit the pics on this or please email a couple of them and is there anything I need to lookout for when doing the install? I also would like to know which wire you hooked up to get the dvd to work when you are driving? Where did you mount the sensor for the navigation? Thanks a lot for any info you can give.....
Old 12-15-2004, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thread
Damn you, damn you all!

As I write this I'm sitting at Magnolia HiFi waiting for them to finish up installing the Eclipse AVN-2454 into my tC.

I'm so weak. The money will find it's way back to the IRA soon enough. I'll be selling the Magella 750NAV and a few other things to re-coup the cost of this upgrade.

*grumble*
how much did u spend all together for the deck and install? and where are u from because im planning on gettin one and iono where i can get it installed
Old 12-15-2004, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'm sitting here reading my AVN 2454 manuals as I look over at the sexy box...do I dare install it tomorrow morning?

Ah, my dilemmas!

-Chris :D
Old 12-15-2004, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eclipxe
I'm sitting here reading my AVN 2454 manuals as I look over at the sexy box...do I dare install it tomorrow morning?

Ah, my dilemmas!

-Chris :D
It's not difficult to install at all, it's pretty much a drop in. You'll need these Toyota part numbers to finish off the install though:

86221-52060
86221-52050

They're the trim panels that fit around the AVN 2454 to fill in the gaps. they run $16 each.

Interestingly enough the AVN 2454 was MADE to be an upgrade to Toyota cars. Hence the ease of install and even the parts for the little trim pieces.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by donut_tC
Originally Posted by Thread
Damn you, damn you all!

*grumble*
how much did u spend all together for the deck and install? and where are u from because im planning on gettin one and iono where i can get it installed
I'm not going to give out an exact number and get blasted by the You could have paid less crowd because I could have and done it myself but, having it done professionally ensured that any issues arising from the install were covered by the installers lifetime warranty on labor. Plus it also extended the factory one year warranty to two years.

So it was north of 2k but, not by much. Dealer was Magnolia Audio/Video in Santa Rosa, Ca. Quite a drive for me but, the only shop in the valley that I could find that was selling and installing them seemed shady to me. When I called them up and asked how much they asked me how much I've seen them for. So, I suspect their plan was to get one off e-bay with an unknown history and install it and who knows what would happen if I needed warranty work done. What further solidified this was that Magnolia was willing to try and match the other places price of 1899 installed but when they called to confirm the other place said they would not give a price out over the phone. Just gave me a shady sort of feel.

Magnolia did a pretty good job, the install looks professional. Only issue was a short in the back up light sensor the unit has, the splice was not completely clean and it shorted out and caused a fuse to blow when you went into reverse with the lights on. Easily corrected.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member

ehm..sorry for the kind of late reply...i have been quite busy these few days..for me, i prefer a laptop solution as it is safer for me..there have been quite a few peeps around my area whose car got broken in and stuff..I also want it to be a temporary solution, as eventually I will try not to use any GPS at all..except in emergency..

I dont plan to plant the notebook somewhere in the car..maybe i will just put it at front pasengger seat whenever i am driving alone or let one of my friend hold it when they are with me..