Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Should I get a car alarm? Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Should I get a car alarm? Which one?

I wanted keyless entry and a panic feature. I didn't realize before buying my xB that it already has one so I was pretty happy when I bought it. The onyl reason I was going to get a car alarm before was so I could have these features. I don't know if a car alarm is really worth the money. There's a possibility that even w/an alarm someone can break your window, go through the window(not opening the door) and the alarm won't sound. I know someone who has an xB that this just happened to so now I'm wondering whether I should get one or now.

I was going to get the Viper alarm from Best Buy that pages flashes your keyring if the car is disturbed. It also has remote ignition. It's $379 w/install included. Is this a good price? Should I get it? It seems like it should be less considering I already have keyless entry. I don't know how much I would use the remote engine starting and the alarm is questionable. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I got a $495 one from the Toyota dealership.
Works great.
It's passive, so you dont have to set it, you can just walk away.
The alarm sound "beep" sounds as soon as the door is shut.

And the thing that happened to your friend won't happen either, I tested everything liek that out before I left the lot.

I'm not sure on the brand, I'll check if you want.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the feedback. The one at the Toyota dealership sounds nice but I figured I could get one for less($379 vs $495) that had more features like the pager and the remote start.

One thing I will say thta I LOVE about the xB remote keyless entry is the distance from which I can turn it on/off and hit the panic. I walked easily 200 yards away to test it and it still was working. This comes in handy when I come out to a parking lot and forget where I parked. =)
Old 08-14-2005, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You can get cheaper alarms. It just depends on the features you want and where you get it. You're paying top dollar to get it from Circuit City. Visit some local car audio shops. I'm sure they can give you a much better deal.

I had a Dodge Intrepid and those come standard with keyless entry also. A local shop put in a standard alarm that worked with the keyless entry, basically armed/disarmed off the lock/unlock, for $100.

Your friend must have had a bad alarm. Most of the alarms units I've had experience with come with a glass breakage sensor. An easy way to test is to tap your keys against any window in the car.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by suprfli
Thanks for the feedback. The one at the Toyota dealership sounds nice but I figured I could get one for less($379 vs $495) that had more features like the pager and the remote start.
You're welcome.
Yeah it's good, but you can definitely find one for less.
The Viper one sounds really good.
My friend has that on his Lincoln LS.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah Python makes an excellent alarm. I was looking to get the alarm/remote start from them.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

any Directed product is the way to go..Viper, Python, Sidewinder etc they all are tops....
Old 08-15-2005, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a Viper 350Hv installed for $263. Great alarm. Its not that fancy but does the job and its upgradeable a bit.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member

Food for thought... When was the last time you even acknowleged a car alarm when you were walking through a parking lot or garage? People don't pay attention to car alarms anymore. If a thief wants your car or something in it, he's gonna get it... lights flashing, horn blaring and all. And chances are, he'll do it in full view of 50 passersby who will just not bother to turn their heads when they hear your alarm. Now if you get LoJack, at least you have a shot at getting your car back if it's stolen. But they can still break in and take whatever they want and leave the car there.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 08-15-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YtseBox
Food for thought... When was the last time you even acknowleged a car alarm when you were walking through a parking lot or garage? People don't pay attention to car alarms anymore. If a thief wants your car or something in it, he's gonna get it... lights flashing, horn blaring and all. And chances are, he'll do it in full view of 50 passersby who will just not bother to turn their heads when they hear your alarm. Now if you get LoJack, at least you have a shot at getting your car back if it's stolen. But they can still break in and take whatever they want and leave the car there.

Just my 2 cents...
haha I remember a comedian on comedy central was talking about car alarms

Anyways if you are really into car security viper has a gps tracking system where you can turn off the car,lock the doors, and roll up the windows with ur cell http://www.directed.com/security/viper/GPS1020.asp

I think clifford you can control the system with ur computer http://www.directed.com/coms.asp
Old 08-15-2005, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ytse: good point. I've considered that. Personally, I think they are nearly a waste of money but the Viper I;m getting has a pager function. If the window is shattered or the alarm is sounded it sends a message to my key chain controller. I can at least walk out and see what's going on w/the car assuming I'm close enough to check it out. From what I've read it's a good system and also, my friend who has it, actually caught/saw the license plates, of the people who broke into his car b/c of it.

Placebo: i'm not going to go as far as trying to control it from my pc or cell phone pager.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah, that pager feature is cool, that's probably worth the extra money. But I think anything that doesn't actually notify the owner is just a false sense of security... makes you feel good, but you know it's useless.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've got the lowjack on mine and am considering the pager function alarm. but like it was pointed out. the siren accomplished jack. so, does anyone know if they make a silent pager alarm? I would think that is optimal. the lack of siren minimizes risk of vandalism due to spite while running off, but you know when it is being messed with and can check it out, then immediately call police for lowjack to be useful. I was thinking about how nice lowjack is, but if im in a theater or work and it gets stolen, by the time i find out it's gone, a decent chop shop will have it chopped up and the lowjack disabled.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Moved to ICE...
Old 08-17-2005, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a python but with motion sensor or they can jack up car carefully and take wheels w/out setting off alarm
Old 08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VirginiaxB
get a python but with motion sensor or they can jack up car carefully and take wheels w/out setting off alarm
An incabin motion detection system won't help you much, because, if programmed right, it will only moniter movement inside the cabin, not the outside. Otherwise it would go off every time a car next to you parked or drove off. Or if someone walked away.

What you want is a digital tilt sensor, which i believe is the 507m (used to be 507d, new model out).

Take this from an installer. Accessories are great, but honestly, if someone wants to steal your car, they are going to. As far as your rims are concerned, the tilt sensor should work as intended. Although you'll have no way of knowing if it worked until the time calls