Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sound Deadening Guide for Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DaveKennedy
So anyone done the roof? It would seem like a great place to start, after all it's a huge metal panel that's got to vibrate a lot.

Anyone done this to a stock boX? I'm picking mine up soon and I think I'm going to do this sooner rather than later.
Haven't done it myself but would also like to hear from someone who has done it... I think I might attempt it next spring.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I got 2 12in JL w1v2s and the rattling they were causing was really starting to bother me. So I just did the floor (up to the front seats), rear wheelwells, hatch, and doors with b-quiet extreme. I couldn't be happier , not only is there no more rattle, but the car rides soooo much quieter at highway speeds. If the radio isn't on all I hear is the engine humming and the whistle of my cold air intake. I LOVE MY (quieter) xB !
Old 09-28-2006, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finishing up my project atm, and wanted to thank everyone for the useful information in this thread.

I am hoping to get a ScionLife specific walkthrough posted once finished, but for now the link in my sig goes to the pics and descriptions at SecondSkin
Old 01-15-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just put in 62 sq ft of Raammat and didn't get as good of results as I was hoping for. I did hatch, rear quarters, & rear floor. I think I'll get another 62 sq ft for doors, front floors, and another layer in the hatch.

Maybe with a few more days of driving, I'll start to notice more of a difference.

BTW, this is a great DIY job. Do not pay for this to be done. Just read this write up and ask questions.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got done putting in 10 sq ft of accumat, small pieces from the rear hatch to the front doors and trunk. All I can say is the stuff works great. It's just for a driver, took all of four hours to put in, the mat is very ez to work with and ez on the hands too. If anybody in Hawaii is looking for it you'll find it at PROGRESSIVE AUTO SOUNDS in Aiea.
Thanks for all your help guy's, next like the rest headliner...... wish me luck.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cyclman68
Just put in 62 sq ft of Raammat and didn't get as good of results as I was hoping for. I did hatch, rear quarters, & rear floor. I think I'll get another 62 sq ft for doors, front floors, and another layer in the hatch.

Maybe with a few more days of driving, I'll start to notice more of a difference.

BTW, this is a great DIY job. Do not pay for this to be done. Just read this write up and ask questions.

When you do the doors it will make a huge difference!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used 10sq feet of accumat and it made a really big difference. What was the cost for 62 feet of the Raammat? and what other mat's are avalable near you?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I paid about 130 for the RAAMmat. I haven't looked at other mats. I read all reviews on the web and selected it as it seemed the best overall value. I have noticed a more quiet ride, but not as much as I expected. But then again, I may have just expected too much. After I do the doors, I will repost on what I get.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

How thick is the sound deadening material that you guys are using? I've got some super light soft foam used to insulate A/C duct work. It's 3/4" thick and would have to be spray glued into place. Would that work? Oh! and it's free!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

RAAMmat is fairly thin but very dense. I'd say its about 3/16" thick.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks for that info Aaron. But, for any of you who did this to their xB, is there enough space for 5/8"-3/4" soft foam, at least for the majority of the areas? Especially in the hatch and side areas?
Thanks. Steve
Old 02-07-2007, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

got hush mat today. 30 sheets of 1 by 2 feet. gonna put it in 2marrow. i'll take some pics.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice
Old 02-18-2007, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

What happened to the pictures?? i can't see them.. or is it just me??
Old 02-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

I can't see them either
Old 02-20-2007, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stevedawelder
Thanks for that info Aaron. But, for any of you who did this to their xB, is there enough space for 5/8"-3/4" soft foam, at least for the majority of the areas? Especially in the hatch and side areas?
Thanks. Steve
Pretty much, the answer is yes, easily, with one caveat: it depends just HOW much it can compress in some areas.

Doors / Hatch: no question, you should be able to go crazy. Depending what kind of spray glue you use, you could cut the pieces of foam to size, spray them outside of the vehicle, and slip them in to cover most spots. However. I think most people would agree that the doors tend to be the biggest gains from the heavier sound deadening. When I did my doors, I used a heavy dose of trial and error, and the way I think it can be done the best us using the rain-guard as a template and glued to the guard. Since most light weight foams (according to both my memory and understanding) will only block high frequency sound waves (not vibrations very much, since they do not add much mass) just a single sheet is very effective. This is, however, a place where our vehicles seem to benefit from mass loading (or so one can infer from the posts saying how much of a benefit people get adding the heavy rubber (or even tar) based products which actually reduce vibrations rather than just blocking sound).

Short answer on the doors/hatch: they have a crap load of room inside, and so long as you watch for mechanics (window track/path and wiper assembly) you can probably put as much as you want in them.

Rest of the vehicle: This is where compression of the foam comes into play. I was able to lay down 1-2 layers of Damplifier Pro (Second Skin's rubber based mat) and a few thick layers of their spray on product with no problem. However, when I also added a somewhat thick product called Heat Wave (basically an insulation material, think a link to my project is in my sig), I had some problems getting the carpet to sit properly. The problem being that heat wave does not compress very much. I firmly believe that, had I instead chosen to use a foam product, there would have been no problems at all.

Ok, that was a much longer answer than needed, sorry, I ramble (;

Hope it helps though.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

jkrepps, Thanks for the info. And I checked out your site. Got a lot of good pics and info on there.
Steve
Old 03-08-2007, 01:17 AM

i cant see the pictures either. I'd really like to see how this was done.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Xb Road Noise

Can you guys rate where the road noise is coming from. I'm guessing from what i've read.
1. Rear hatch
2. Doors
3. Floor
4. Roof
5. Trunk.
6. Rear quarter panels

btw my car has stock exhaust.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Xb Road Noise