Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sound System Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sound System Suggestions

Ok, I need some help picking parts for my sound system. I will have about $2000 to spend on it. I think I will be doing alittle competing with it. I would also like some video components to. So can you guys help me decide what to put in my xb?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of competing are you looking into?? SQ?? SPL?? what?? $2000 won't get you REAL far with video added in as well...
Old 03-21-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed. I am a novice myself, but I know as well that if you budget yourself $2000 and want to include video, you aren't going to get very far.

If you drop the video, you can build a pretty decent system for $2000. And with the right components you can design and build a system with good sound quality that still hits pretty decent SPL. My suggestion is to go for SQL over SPL. If you go SQL, at least you know it will (can) sound good. Building a system for SPL often means sacrificing sound quality.

Subwoofer wise I would take a look at Image Dynamics, or if you want to save some money there check out Diamond Audio.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ agreed, an SPL system is generally ported and tuned toward the cabin gain frequency of the car... that in itself kills sound quality.....

How much space are you willing to give up in the trunk?? If you're wanting to still be able to compete in SPL competition, I'd stick with a standard MDF ported box (tuned of course, not pre-fab)... get 2 amps, one sub, and a component system...and a HU
Old 03-22-2006, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I may drop the video for now then. What do you think about either 3 10" or 3 12", couple of nice amps and a new HU. What do you guys recommend for a HU and amp?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one thing's for sure, don't skimp on your HU... it's the base of your system.... if you want to expand, you want you HU to be able to handle the addition.....
good brands to look at are:
Kenwood eXcelon, Pioneer premier, Eclipse, Alpine..... expect to pay no less than $300 for the HU alone... some really good HU's go for $500-600....

as far as amp and subs, are you wanting it to just be loud, or be loud AND sound good?? keep in mind that if you exceed 1500watts in amp output, expect to be in the market for an upgraded battery, upgraded wiring, and possibly upgraded alternator...

Resonant Engineering makes some killer SPL subs... as does TREO and KICKER....

Elemental Design, JL Audio, Boston, Focal, Eclipse, Image Dynamics, Adire Audio, and crystal all make excellent SQL subs

as far as amps go, Memphis, Kicker, JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Soundstream, Audison...
Old 03-22-2006, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the input. Im not really sure what kind of competing I want to do yet.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to throw Diamond Audio into the ring for Sound Quality as well. I know there are people who don't care for their subs, but I love them. I have never heard a better shallow mount sub for the price than Diamond. When I switched from my old Rockford Fosgate subs to my Diamond CM3s the difference was night and day.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mmats. thats the best i have heard, but kinda $$, actually alot $$
Old 03-23-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for HU I'd stick with alpine (last year's or earlier), eclipse, or kenwood excelon. I'm personally not a fan of kenwood units in general but all 3 of those brands have a ton of features for the money. As for speakers, I'm a HUGE fan of CDT audio...I've had a set of the 6.5" HD components for about 2 years now and they honestly sound as good as a set costing 3 times as much. For the rear speakers you really should spend little or no money on them no matter whether you're going for SQ or SPL because they're worthless for both. For subs I'm a huge fan of Image Dynamics, for SPL and SQ the IDMax is amazing, but huge...so you'll have to sacrifice space. I'm running a single IDQ 10 right now and it really rounds out the sound without sacrificing space. Other good brands include Elemental Designs, Adire, and JL audio (if you want to spend some money). Finally as for the amps...I used to run the old school JBL power series amps that are a great value for the money if you can find them still. Also the alpine v-12 amps from a couple years ago are pretty respectable and they look nice. If you can find some good deals on Arc Audio amps they are pretty amazing too.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ the JBL amps actually from Crown are bad *****!!! Crown is the only amp I used to use/sell for pro audio applications and they know what they're doing!!
Old 03-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Listen to SCI_TC_GUY. He know what he's taking about. I would have said pretty much what he said (except for the JL audio suggestion ). To be honest with you if you're not sure what you want to go with then get an Alpine set up. You can't really go wrong with Alpine. If you want a little more "bump" get some kicker subs. Other than the SOLO Barics you can put a kicker in almost anything and it'll hit.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Kicker's really good for SPL IMO, but I think they take too much work to make them sound really good as far as SQ goes... I'd take eD over Alpine as well....

Thanks for the props Josh!!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah they are hard to put into a SQ set up.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I think I want to go with SPL (if thats the loud one). Sorry I am a sound system noob but what does SPL stand for?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sound Pressure Level....measured in decibels

SQ is Sound Quality

SQL is Sound Quality + Loud << that's what most people desire

If you're wanting to be serious in SPL, I can tell you right now that your substage(subwoofers) is gonna sound like poop... but it'll be loud.... you could go with SQL and it'll be not quite as loud, but it'll sound ALOT better with music...

for SPL, look into TREO, KICKER SOLOBARIC/SOLO X, Resonant Engineering, JBL GTi, Digital Design, Crossfire,ummm....???

good place to start would be you HU... it's the base for you system... look at Alpine, Kenwood eXcelon, Pioneer Premier, and Eclipse...$300+ for HU
Old 03-24-2006, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I want to go SQL. What size subs and how many should i get? What size amp? What box? Sorry, about all the questions, im new to sound systems.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people would reccommend that you go to some shops and look around and find stuff you like... What shops do you have around you?

I'm kinda thinking you'd be good with one badass 12" sub in a ported box, or 2 really good 12's in a ported box...

Do you plan on installing this yourself, or are you going to have a shop do it for you? Having a good install/wiring job is essential in the stereo world.... a shady wiring job can cause alot of problems that you don't want..

here's a killer deal on a Kenwood receiver...
KENWOOD CLICK HERE
Old 03-24-2006, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am going to have a shop do it.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you know what products they carry?? that'd be a good starting point

Quick Reply: Sound System Suggestions