Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stereo Install Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Stereo Install Q's

Did a search, and personally I hate searching because I either get too many results that don't pertain, or none at all.

I want to add my amp and subs to my tC.

1. For the remote wire, will I be safe using the stock HU's power wire(not the 12v, but the ignition wire)? The amp should only turn on when I turn the key, right? If not, where did you guys hook up your remote?

2. 4 ga power wire... driver's side, right?

3. Should I sacrifice more trunk and port my 12's? I have two Massive Audio CW 12's. They fit in a 1ft^3 enclosure sealed. Ported, they fit in a 1.5ft^3 box per sub... it isn't that much bigger. What do you think? I'm going to miss this trunk either way... I've managed to use it a few times at work loading tons of candy in it.

4. Did anyone add an amp for your stock front speakers? I was thinking of adding maybe 65 watts/channel for the fronts.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

1 that works
2 that works
3 you will have no trunk space left... and forget getting to your spare...
4 I have yet to amp factory front speakers in the tc, but they look identical to xa's which I have amplified stock... and I know they sound a whole lot louder/cleaner amplified... I would try changing out the headunit if possible though
Old 09-24-2004, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Anyone have a link for wire color codes?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just replaced EVERYTHING in my tC this weekend. It's much easier to run the powe wire down the passenger side of the car because that's where the most accessable grommet is. Running new speaker wire into the front doors isn't hard at all, just go through the grommet that's there. There's plenty of room to run more wire though. There's also ample room under the door sills in the little white eyelets that Toyota ran their wires through to add a bunch of your own and run them all the way to the back. Here's what my trunk looks like so far. It's not the prettiest yet because I ran out of materials and money, but it's secure and it works for now.

Diamond Audio M3 series components in the front doors and in the back... 60W RMS to each of those via the two Alpine amps in the trunk. A Polk Momo 12" sub in the trunk powered by a JBL 300.1. amp pushing 150W RMS to it with the way I've got it configured. I ran all of my speaker wire to the back so that I could have all the pretty crossovers mounted in the back as well. It all turned out pretty good and all worked on the first try so that's cool. ;) I'm still tuning the EQ. Hopefully I'll have it all buttoned down in the next few days.

tCs are one of the easiest cars I've ever installed anything on before, and I've done a LOT. (I've owned 19 cars in the past 5 years, and yes I'm staying with this one for a long time. hehe) Hardest install I've ever done was on my BMW 325is. The tC has so much extra room everywhere and everything comes apart so easily so that it was actually a fun install... all 19 hours of it.