Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Trying to install my amp and sub in tc???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default Trying to install my amp and sub in tc???????

I just got my tc two days ago and i took apart the dash and removed the factory cd player to find there are no pre-outs. I have hooked up my amp to many aftermarket stereo's with ease and i have never once had to do it with a high output wiring kit? i'm not shure what i am really doing and i need help i went to best buy and all those b*stards could tell me is they could install it for me for $250.00... no thanks! my amp has the same wierd looking input that just says high input )looks the same as the input on back of stereo)...does anyone know where i can buy this wire and.....there has to be a way since you can get a sub from the factory...thanx any help is appreciated
Old 07-02-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in order to hook up an amp to the stock unit you need some sort of adapter that makes it sound like crap. Buy a aftermarket head unit off ebay and the metra install kit.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah, I used one of them POSs in my xB...u hook it up to the rear channel speakers and it pulls the lows out and sends it to the amp...depending on the music, it sounds good...but 75% of the time, it sounds like ___...so yeah, do yourself a fav and buy a new head unit...I would look for a nice double-din...and if u got the money, go with this unit from Eclipse --

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5435.html

Old 07-02-2005, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Trying to install my amp and sub in tc???????

Originally Posted by metallicat1119
I just got my tc two days ago and i took apart the dash and removed the factory cd player to find there are no pre-outs. I have hooked up my amp to many aftermarket stereo's with ease and i have never once had to do it with a high output wiring kit? i'm not shure what i am really doing and i need help i went to best buy and all those b*stards could tell me is they could install it for me for $250.00... no thanks! my amp has the same wierd looking input that just says high input )looks the same as the input on back of stereo)...does anyone know where i can buy this wire and.....there has to be a way since you can get a sub from the factory...thanx any help is appreciated
hey man...my amp has the same High Level imputs on it...all i did was tap into the rear speakers...ran the wires directily to the amp...it works perfect!!!

good luck!

-Scott
Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

and even better option would be to bujy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

It lets you keep your stock head unit AND have rca outputs
Old 07-03-2005, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member

well if i buy the crappy adapter or ran it from the back speakers then anyone happen to know which wire i would hook the "remote wire to.... anyone know of a goodwebsite with wiring diagrams maybe...
Old 07-03-2005, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you sure you've installed an amp before? The remote wire is run to either your stereo's power antenna wire, or (if it has one) an amp wire, or your car's accessory wire (or igntion if you want, same effect, but I'd suggest you use your accessory)
Old 07-03-2005, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the accessory wire is a red one... hmmm, I don't remember if the stock one is that color, but red is supposed to be the standard color for that. You could just tap into any of the parts that turn on with the ACC or if you really can't do any of that, you could jam it into the ACC fuse
Old 07-03-2005, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Are you sure you've installed an amp before? The remote wire is run to either your stereo's power antenna wire, or (if it has one) an amp wire, or your car's accessory wire (or igntion if you want, same effect, but I'd suggest you use your accessory)
dont run it to the power antenna wire. Most stereos only raise the antenna when the radio is playing, so on cd or aux you will have no amp
Old 07-03-2005, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You are better off if your amp has high level inputs. If not, make sure you buy a GOOD adaptor so you dont have crappy sound. I cant give you a manufacturer because I have never had to use one (except on a wierd home stereo application but I just built the adaptor for it). I know I have heard a couple of friends systems that used one and they sounded good. But I have also heard that some of them are junk.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're going through the trouble of getting an amp and some subs (and don't forget the components for the mids and highs) do it right and get an aftermarket head unit.

I bought a nice Alpine CD player off eBay about 4 years ago. It was $350 shipped. Cheapest in stores around here was $520 and cheapest on the web at any stores was $450 for that same unit.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by whipple81
yeah, I used one of them POSs in my xB...u hook it up to the rear channel speakers and it pulls the lows out and sends it to the amp...depending on the music, it sounds good...but 75% of the time, it sounds like ___...so yeah, do yourself a fav and buy a new head unit...I would look for a nice double-din...and if u got the money, go with this unit from Eclipse --

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5435.html

VERY nice choice!
Old 07-03-2005, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by metallicat1119
well if i buy the crappy adapter or ran it from the back speakers then anyone happen to know which wire i would hook the "remote wire to.... anyone know of a goodwebsite with wiring diagrams maybe...
since i tapped into my rear speakers...i just ran a wire staight from my Fuse box inside the car to the amp. I stuck the wire in the fuse that belongs to the Gauges. When the keys turn to the "on" position so does my amp! simple and REALLY easy to do!

-Scott
Old 07-03-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow thats a nice headunit
Old 07-03-2005, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member

thanx guys! my amp and sub is in!... and on my budget... it doesnt sound too bad considering everthing but the adapter was free
Old 07-03-2005, 09:19 PM
zac
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how to did you run the amp wires thro0ugh the firewall?

Please help!
Old 07-03-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Through the rubber gromit behind the glove compartment.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what wires are you running through that grommet behind the glove box? is that where u run the signal wires to get to the back of the HU?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope, he's running his amplifier's power wire through there to get to the battery in the engine bay. You can get to the head unit much more easily by running a wire under dash and into the center console area (remove the center console to actually wire it up).