Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Ugh.... Crazy tough install, but great cheap fun mod!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Default Ugh.... Crazy tough install, but great cheap fun mod!

I built my own Front and Back Footwell lighting for $27.63!!!! Wait... you say... big deal???

I'm an electronics noob... but I wanted to use the same switch as my TCover (To make it "better than" OEM looking, as the oem LED switches are wierd IMHO... so I bought a whole pack of 'em and wired it so that up is Front, middle is off, and down is Front and Back... Had to learn about diodes to make sure that it didn't backfeed and continue to light up both, when I only wanted one to light up.... cool stuff...

I bought the CC Tubes here VVVVV and you can pick up the switches and diode at Rad Shack for CHEAP.

http://store.pchcables.com/su12ccduliki.html - 4 sets (Which are Nicely Bright)

I'll get around to post pics, but they are brighter than the stock overpriced LED sets and a hell of a lot cheaper... took me a long time, as I had to learn how to solder/how diodes work/and run the wires all over the place... but used wireshrinkwrap and it looks pretty....

Best ~30 Bucks I ever spent on my car....

Now just waiting for my shipment of wedge LED's to come, so my whole car will be all blue...

Now to rip apart my XBox.... that mod will be how-to worthy, as When I'm done, I'm sure others would like to give it a try... as we're all dumping those for 360's soon I'm sure. Give my rear seat passengers something fun to do, and some dvd watching ability as well....
Old 11-06-2005, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, you coulda saved alot of time and effort bu buying a couple sets of neon cold cathodes from oznium.com you could have gotten a set or 2 12" blue neons for 6.95, i bought like 7 sets and my xB is so bright, i put them under all the footwells and in the engine bay, it looks awesome
Old 11-06-2005, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XB_BOY_2005
well, you coulda saved alot of time and effort bu buying a couple sets of neon cold cathodes from oznium.com you could have gotten a set or 2 12" blue neons for 6.95, i bout like 7 sets and my xB is so bright, i put them under all the footwells and in the engine bay, it looks awesome
x2
Old 11-06-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by XB_BOY_2005
well, you coulda saved alot of time and effort bu buying a couple sets of neon cold cathodes from oznium.com you could have gotten a set or 2 12" blue neons for 6.95, i bought like 7 sets and my xB is so bright, i put them under all the footwells and in the engine bay, it looks awesome
in the engine bay did you runr the wires through the fire wall? is it set up to a different switch
Old 11-06-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Same price, but the switch wasn't what I wanted.... looks cheazy compared to the TCover switch and isn't two way... With my switch, I get more options, like part on, or all on... that's what took the most time.. I had to fab a harness that included a diode, so that when I wanted just one on, it didn't backfeed to the other... I'll have engine led's rather that CC tubes.... they're just too big to hide in the engine bay... I already have a couple of them in my grill...

Best solution I've seen is Varad Blue LEDs in the hood trim, so when it's open, they shine down on the bay and light it up.... looked really sweet at ScionNightII on the car that had it. 4 of them is plenty bright too.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

in the engine bay did you runr the wires through the fire wall? is it set up to a different switch
In the engine bay i have the wires connected to my underbody kit ,and yes it goes thru the firewall. So when my underbody kit is on, my engine lights are on too.