Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

UPDATED 5/13/07 PAGE 6 Headliner/Interior Makeover NO56K

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Thanks for all the compliments, keep them coming...I should be finished by tomorrow and I will post the pics...I just finished wrapping the front pillars in black suede, they turned out awesome...The more pieces I do the easier it seems to get...

As for the glue, I HIGHLY recommend the 3M "80" style at Home Depot or anywhere else they sell it...The 3M comes in "70", "80 which states for headliner use, and "90"....
Old 09-22-2006, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by hockeyinc
Did the parts just pull off or did you have to do any unbolting?Was it easy to pull the headliner off?
Start by removing the visors (2 screws), the (2) little clips that hold the visors (1 screw each), rear view mirror (2 screws), 4 grab handles (each have 2 screws), the front and rear seatbelts (1 bolt each), the domelight, the 4 plastic ceiling push pins (used a salad fork to slide in between the plug and headliner and it worked like a charm...Once you have all those pieces off, the pillars simply pull off (no screws holding them in)...Once you have all that removed, pull the weather stripping from around each door and the headliner will come out...Lay all the seats flat, the headliner is pretty flimsy so it comes right out the back hatch without any problems...Good luck and any other questions just PM me...Tim
Old 09-22-2006, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lookin good Tim!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Old 09-23-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Ok, well here it goes...

I must first give a BIG thanks to Randy (RANDODE), Scott (phoenixtc) and Chris (n2htwlz) for their help in completing this long project...Randy arrived as promised, promptly @ 10:30am...

He looked at the work that I had already completed and was impressed with the work that was done...I had already done the back hatch piece in the yellow suede and the (2) small plastic pieces on each of the front doors in yellow suede...I had wrapped the front two pillars and one of the middle pillars in black suede...all of them turned out great if I don't say so myself..We had also taken apart my Audiobahn sub box so that it could be re-wrapped also..

Ok with that being said, here is the BAD news:

I bring Randy into my living room and show him the headliner and the yellow suede for him to cover it with...He had a puzzled look on his face and a bit of concern...We carried the headliner and yellow suede to the garage and then he breaks it to me...We can't do the headliner in this yellow suede I bought...The fabric was too thin and had no type of backing...When we sprayed the glue, it bleed through creating blotches everywhere...So what does Randy say, "Hey Tim, we need to get new fabric!" After a discussion with the wife, it was decided that we were going to wrap it in carbon fiber...Turned out to be a great choice because it looks BADA$$...

So Randy, Scott, and myself drive to the "Fabric Shop" 40 miles away and the employee who I had been buying my fabric from nicely buys my yellow suede back from me...I had a little over (2) yards left so he credits me my money...I purchase (4) yards of the carbon fiber and it only costs $10 a yard...So, after the return credit from the suede, I only have to fork over $9...

We return home and Randy re-wraps my headliner in less than an hour and makes it look factory fresh...All the ridges and contours of the headliner are there, PERFECT work by Randy as always...

Next, Chris drops off my painted interior pieces (Black) of course...Awesome work as usual...

Randy and Chris leave and Scott stays to offer moral support and also helps me do my sub box...

Here are some pics of the suede (which is being removed and replaced with the carbon fiber):

Ok, now for the carbon fiber...This stuff is hard to photograph but here are the pics anyways:

Audiobahn subwoofer before:

After with carbon fiber covering:

Of course, Randy does his BEST work with a beer in his hand:

I know there is alot of pics but I wanted to show the quality work done by Randy, Chris, and Scott...Thanks for viewing and comments are welcome...
Old 09-23-2006, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

looks very nice what did the headliner run you for the parts and what not?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Randode pulls off another one.... Looks awesome Tim, I like that CF better than the suede
Old 09-23-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

To do just the headliner, you need (3) yards of fabric (whatever fabric you choose), so for mine it was less than $35 ($10.10 a yard) for the carbon fiber...Then you need a good quality glue, I used 3M "80" for rubber and vinyl...On the can it says to be used for headliners...You need a minimum of 3 cans which cost almost $12 a can...So for way under $100 dollars you can do your headliner on your own! Good luck and any questions don't hesitate to PM me...
Old 09-23-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

Looks Awesome Tim
It's about time that you were able to do a major interior mod..
Old 09-23-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Thanks Chris again for painting that stuff spur of the moment...The hardest part of this mod was putting everything back together and lining it up with all the holes and clips!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

yea maybe i can look at it sometime.. i see your nice lookin xb all the time by the apt we live in at 83rd and beardsley
Old 09-23-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dwestxb
Randode pulls off another one.... Looks awesome Tim, I like that CF better than the suede
Thx mang! It turns out that the CF does look alot better, especially in person, and ties into the other misc CF I have going on...
Old 09-23-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow that looks great...
Now I got another idea for a winter project...
Old 09-23-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know. I think there is too much black now!

OMG.....is that Big Foot walking down out street that I see in your side mirror?

Old 09-24-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

I don't know if thats Bigfoot but you keep talking your smack i'm gonna walk across the straight and shove my BIGFOOT right up your ****...Haha.............................................................................................................................................................................j/k
Old 09-24-2006, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode
Alright Randy the pics are up...You haven't commented, that could be a bad thing!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All that carbon is SO PIMP!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

^^^Thx^^^

I'am eventually going to get black visor monitors so it all matches and flows together...I only have the (2) front pillars to re-do, they still have the black suede I was originally intending on doing...It is a real PAIN to remove the suede and glue after it sets up...Took me several hours to get all the glue off my side pillars so that I could re-cover them in the carbon fiber...I will take more pics when it is COMPLETELY done...
Old 09-24-2006, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great Tim!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

that was the 4th xB headliner that i've done now. cake.

i still think the best part of the day was getting to check out your hot neighbor.

Scott must be working out or something.
hahahahahha.

Quick Reply: UPDATED 5/13/07 PAGE 6 Headliner/Interior Makeover NO56K