Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

This IS THE WAY to tap into your fuse box for POWER!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Default This IS THE WAY to tap into your fuse box for POWER!

Ok, I have seen many threads about ppl trying to tap into the power of the Cig lighter by trying to get to the wires behind the center console! If you guys are like me who hates wires running all over for radar detectors and etc this is a great and safe way to hard wire the power

This is my radar detector hard wired in my Xa

First you will need a fuse Y splitter or whatever you call this thing:oops:. You should be able to find this in any auto store, pep boys, autozone, etc. in the fuse section.

Its pretty self explainatory, after you plug the original fuse into that Y fuse splitter thing and the a whatever amp additional fuse into the second socket for your radar detector, PLUG the WHOLE thing back into the ACCESSORY fuse socket !
Old 11-19-2004, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I just T-tapped the power for the dome light, and mounted it between the headliner and rearview mirror, and used industrial strength 3M dbl sided sticky tape to secure the detector mount. . . it's nice because you sweep top to bottom with your vision; radar, mirror, gauges, stereo, coffee.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Yeah, I thought about mounting it there too... but i don't know about your radar detector but, in the manual, mine tells me to mount as low as I can for best Laser signals thats why i decided to mount down there! Make sure where your mounting is not sacrificing the range of your detector! BE SAFE! :twisted:
Old 11-19-2004, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

TIP: I believe you can get rid of that nasty wire. . . but you get a screw driver and a piece of felt, and gently pry the dash along the crack. . . enough to feed the wire through the hole. . . you might be able to get it to pop out the back side, or you can run it along that seam. . . I have to dbl check. . . there might not be enough "give," but I've done it on other cars. If you try, just give it a gentle test, and pry softly, being careful not scratch anything. . .

If you don't want to run the cable that route, you can force it inbetween the dash plastic and the defrost vents on the front. . . just push a bit, and the wire will go through. You can run it from the vent to the detector along the seam of the windshield. Me personally, I hate visible wires.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

my detector did not mention height. . . but at that location, rear laser visibility is near zero. . . and also in CA, laser is not admittable in court, and not used by the CHP.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In VA we aren't allowed to even have radar detectors. I think it's BS because we should be allowed to protect ourselves. Anyway, when my dad had his bmw he hard wired his radar detector into the lighted sun visor mirror. Worked well.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

STEALTH!!!!! Hahahaha
Old 11-19-2004, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Where you have that detector mounted is almost pointless. detectors need to go in the middle of the windshield to work as designed....
Old 11-19-2004, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrianxB
Where you have that detector mounted is almost pointless. detectors need to go in the middle of the windshield to work as designed....
I did a experiment with mounting it in the middle, left and on the top next to the rear mirror, radar detection is the same what so ever. I have this radar thinging at my off ramp showing me how fast i'm going. However, like I've mentioned earlier, laser signal might be effected, but somebody already mentioned that Laser can't be admitted here in Cali so itz all cool!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Yeah, lazer is a bizotch either way. . . I had a chance to test it when I went to Nevada, and it worked, but keep in mind that if you are going uphill, odds are there won't be much laser vision anyway. If I'm are on flat terrain, I have plenty of rear laser vision. It also makes a huge difference when I adjust the mirror down, so I can mount the detector lower. All in all, if you get hit with laser, you're probably screwed, no matter which detector you have. . . even the Valentine's. You'd be very luck to pick up any stray signals.

Radar is a radio frequency, so placement shouldn't make a huge difference, so long as it is close to your windshield. . . there is always better placement, but I can't imagine it making a big difference. Like antennas, I'd imagine the higher the better, but I'm not the manufacturer of these damn things. For best results, they have the hidden radar detectors that mount in your bumpers, and you can do custom steath displays, hidden in the dash. Talkin $300+ but well worth it.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

i used that setup to wire my cold cathodes...didt cut into anything..best setup ever
Old 11-20-2004, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by cseika
I did a experiment with mounting it in the middle, left and on the top next to the rear mirror, radar detection is the same what so ever. I have this radar thinging at my off ramp showing me how fast i'm going. However, like I've mentioned earlier, laser signal might be effected, but somebody already mentioned that Laser can't be admitted here in Cali so itz all cool!
Uh huh.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wire nuts are for 110 not 12v.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by DenZinz
Wire nuts are for 110 not 12v.
I support this statement. Dont use wire nuts in a car. You will be laughed at by any competent installer who sees it.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by cseika
I don't see a problem with this statement. . . so long as there some reasonable path for the signal to travel, radar is a radio frequency; it travels through materials and bounces off everything. True, if you put the detector on the floor, it won't be as effective, but so long as it is somewhere above the dash, reception should be good, and placement should have a negligible impact. . . but laser on the other hand. . .
Old 11-22-2004, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hey where do you guys get those wire taps? i wish i wouldda known about em b4 i hardwired so much ____.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

the fuse thingie can be found at most auto stores. . . he mentioned that up there. . . I think I saw them at Pepboys. It would be in the fuse section. . . and then there's also the ghetto way of doing it (pull fuse out, push wire in hole, push fuse in over wire). I don't recomment the ghetto way, but it does work. Not sure which wire taps you are specifically talking about, but there are also T-taps, which tap onto a wire. . . those can be found at radiocrack (ripoff). You're better off buying a crimp connector set (cheap).
Old 11-23-2004, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Went to my local auto store. They didn't have anything like them. Do those "fuse thingies" have a formal name? I want to get some!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hey- I might have answered my own questions. I searched the PepBoys site and think I may have found them... In the search box type 30103. It's called a Tapa-Circuit With Dual Fuse Holder. Is this what you used?

Did you just run your positive line into the open end of the crimp thingy and plug it into your panel? Is it safe to assume that you could use this to install a switch on a set of interior lights or something? A little help from someone who knows a bit more about this than me is much appreciated- thanks!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

the link didn't take me to the specific part, and I'm not the guy who used that part, but I can tell how it's used from the pic. Yes, you just run a positive line from the open end of the crimp thingy and plug it into whatever device/light you are trying to power. You just pick the fuse you want to use (note that it will only supply power when that fuse receives power). For instance ACC will have power only when the key is in the ACC or ON positions. The TAIL fuse only gets power when the tail lights are on (parking or headlamps). You have to ground whatever it is you are trying to power to a seperate location (easy).

Quick Reply: This IS THE WAY to tap into your fuse box for POWER!