Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Who has a 06 XB with ipod upgrade radio!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Who has a 06 XB with ipod upgrade radio!

I just bought the new video ipod, and I was wondering who out there has the ugraded ipod radio that controls the ipod. My 06 has the aux plug which works fine until I plug in the power adapter to keep it charged, what hapens know is I will get noise thru the speakers. I would like the upgraded unit, but if this same noise is going to be there it might not be worth it.

Thanks,

Erik
Old 11-05-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have the same prob with a first gen iPod...and my new 5gen video iPod. (I have an 04 with a wired FM modulator)
The prob is our cars' electrics I think...not the adaptor, iPod or speakers.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I haven't noticed anything but i will now check have a 5 gen ipod
Old 11-05-2005, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

mitchell,

I really would like to try out the upgraded head unit, but I am concerned that once I plug in the new cable that also powers the ipod, I will get the same noise I get now when I use my 12volt power adapter.

Erik
Old 11-05-2005, 03:04 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Moved to ICE.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

whatmovesu,

If you dont mind me askin, what did you pay for your HU upgrade, did your XB come with it or did you upgrade after getting your car. The noise I can hear is a light hiss and I can also here the little drive in the ipod when you make a selection or change and if it is charging it will make a clicking noise every time the battery indicator on the ipod flashes.

Erik
Old 11-05-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Who has a 06 XB with ipod upgrade radio!

Originally Posted by Socalrider
My 06 has the aux plug which works fine until I plug in the power adapter to keep it charged, what hapens know is I will get noise thru the speakers. I would like the upgraded unit, but if this same noise is going to be there it might not be worth it.
You won't have the same noise. I plug my sirius into my aux port and I notice a noise occasioanally as well. Does your noise change when you shift or the RPM changes?
I think there is an issue w/ the aux port in the 06s and electricity.

I'm going to ask a stereo-head about it Sunday at a meet.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

06box,

The noise I get is only from the POD, as soon as I plug in my cig liter charger I will get a low hiss and when the ipod changes tracks you will here a little whine from the ipod, if I switch back to radio while the ipod is still pluged in the noise goes away, if i unplug the power and just use the Ipod on battery power there is no noise.

Erik
Old 11-05-2005, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

IMO, the iPod HU ROCKS. the only thing I would change about it is the accessibility, I'm pretty tall, and sit way back - therefore, I have to reach forward to control the stereo.

I have heard that there is a new steering wheel radio control, but have had a hard time finding info

I get crystal-clear sound.

My box came with the HU installed, and I fabbed aslide-away cradle for the iPod that attaches to the seat mount. I am using a belkin iPod cradle at the end of the 'arm' I have attached to the seat mount. when I want to put it out of view, I simply slide it around and it tucks under the driver's seat.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

CherryBox,

What GEN Ipod do you have.

Erik
Old 11-05-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks as if any item using the aux port and getting power to run and not running on batteries, causes the hissing sort of sounds.

What is the major difference between the stock 06 unit and the IPod one? I haven't gotten into IPod since I got satellite radio, I just want my sat radio to sound crystal clear like it should.

I guess I will have to find out how xm is installed.

The issues I think we're having w/ unwanted noise is dealing w/ power going through the items we have hooked up to the port. I'm going to check it extensively tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

iPod HU is great!

Just picked up my '06 PW xB on Wednesday. Only issue is that the multi function **** takes a lot of turns to go through 4000+ songs. On the pod, scrolling fast zooms through songs. The Z's are a long way out on the Pioneer.

No hiss-very clean sound. Just ordered the Scosche box and a 300W amp. Hope to install next weekend.

cherryBox,
The steering wheel controls will be out for the xB after the first of the year, according to my dealer.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well,

I bit the bullet today, went down to my dealer and bought the Ipod HU, IT ROCKS!!! very easy to install except for the plug that is hidden and taped up in foam behind the HU, once I found that, the rest is history. I have read quite a few post about going after market but I really liked the factory look. The function is great no noise what so ever. I really like having all of my music on this little thing. The function is great you can search by playlist,artist,album and song. The best thing is when get where your going your Ipod is all charged and ready to go.

Sincerely,

Erik
Old 11-06-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, charges and great sound. No noise and how convenient is the HU integration!

I am currently looking on craigslist and ebay for a gen4 ipod with a cracked screen or broken scrollwheel. I already have a 60gb Photo but just want something to leave in the xB full time. Probably hidden inside the Boomerang armrest I installed. There is a fair sized cavity under the insert, inside the outer housing. Would take no room inside the storage and be harder to see and remove. If someone did manage to go that far, they would get a bRoKen iPoD! BWahahahaha!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tanakasan,

are you japaneese? I just got back from Japan for work, what a great place, it is so clean and the people are extreamly nice, I hated coming home.

Eriksan.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does a o5box deck haev a aux source cuzz iwanna do direct for my sat aswell that dam fm transmitter sucks bad...
Old 11-09-2005, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is my vPod setup.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The hissing you had was the same I have w/ my sirius.

I ordered the following to try to get rid of the "sounds."
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Zx4omM4...ch=ground+loop

Should be here Thursday. I would buy the IPod HU but I don't have an IPod and all I need to be able to listen to is my Sirius using the 06 aux port.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06B0X
The hissing you had was the same I have w/ my sirius.

I ordered the following to try to get rid of the "sounds."
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Zx4omM4...ch=ground+loop

Should be here Thursday. I would buy the IPod HU but I don't have an IPod and all I need to be able to listen to is my Sirius using the 06 aux port.
Not only did it take care of the issue, my auxilary item plays much louder and its crystal clear.

I am going to call Scion and let them know that there is an issue w/ the using the aux port and having the item plugged in w/ 06's so hopefully they can make something to fix it.

If you want, call Scion and/or purchase the above item.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the ipod HU and am overjoyed with it to say the least. I have a question though and don't know if any of you may have an answer. After the dealer installed my HU there was a plastic zip-lock bag left in the glovebox with two pieces of adhesive-backed foam(the size of the ipod), two zip-ties and another piece of black cloth-like material on an adhesive backing. I assume it has something to do with protecting the ipod, but I can't figure it out. Anyone have any information regarding what this stuff is for?

TIA

Quick Reply: Who has a 06 XB with ipod upgrade radio!