Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Will this sound good in my xB?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Will this sound good in my xB?

I need to replace the HU, speakers, install an amp and a sub or 2 in my xB.

Here is a list of what I am looking to buy. Please leave your comments Good or Bad and any tips, links or pix on how to install.

Pioneer DEH-P6700MP CD/MP3/WMA Receiver
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Au4dkKG...0&I=130DEHP670

Audiobahn ABB102Q 10" Loaded Double Subwoofer Enclosure
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Au4dkKG...0&I=037ABB102Q

Profile AP1000M 310W x 1 Car Amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Au4dkKG...0&I=489AP1000M

------------

Pioneer TS-G1340R 5-1/4" 2-way Speakers
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Au4dkKG...0&I=130TSG1340

or

Kicker 05KS525 5-1/4" 2-Way Speakers
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Au4dkKG...0&I=20605KS525

------------------------

Pioneer TS-G1040R 4" 2-way Speakers
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Au4dkKG...0&I=130TSG1040

or

Blaupunkt PCxb402 4" 2-way Speakers
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Au4dkKG...0&I=023PCXB402
Old 06-10-2005, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't own any of those speakers. So I can't comment on how they sound to me. I know someone just installed the Pioneer TS-G1040R 2-way speakers in there dash. Im not sure if someone attached bass blockers to these or not. May want to look into that or decide after you hear them.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd kill my dogs with that much equipment in my car... I have to keep my simple so they are happy as well, but for you that all looks dandy.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depending on ur two 10" subs that amp prob won't be strong enough if u want to FEEL the subs...... but.... if u know what ur doing with sound systems... don't listen to me.. also y r u gitting 2 4" and 2 5-1/4" i haven't checked the scion xb speakers yet but don't u only have 6 places for speakers and the 2 in the back r (6x9... i think) 2 in the front doors (6in subs?) and 2 on the dash (5-1/4"?) if that is right how do u go abt putting those 4in ones in? anyway hope u understand it
Old 06-10-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chris, you have no idea what speakers are in the box.

They are 4" in the dash, 6.5" in the doors, and 5 1/4"
in the rear deck area.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i fig i would be wrong but it just seems like it should have 6x9's in the back
Old 06-10-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Check out this thread for speaker tips.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...er=asc&start=0

I put the Pioneer 4" speakers in the dash with bass blockers. I have 6.5" Pioneer 4-ways in the doors with Scosche SAT6 adapters. Per the thread link above, Scosche has an adapter for 6.5" speakers for the rear. I'm making my own from plywood for tweeter clearance behind the side panel.

I got a Subplug 4channel preout adapter from ebay that is custom made for the Scion xB head unit. Here is a link to the seller's ebay profile:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...=STRK:MEWN:SID
He goes by G-Nizzle here on SL and is a member of Nor Cal Scions. He sells several pre out adapters for the Scion radios. No need to get a new head unit IMHO.

I am installing my rear speakers along with a Pioneer Premier 60 watt per 4 channel amp that has pre outs of it's own in case I decide to install a sub later. I'm doing the install Sunday afternoon. I'll be taking pics and posting them when complete.

Gimme a shout if you need any other assistance.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HU is defintely good... although the alpine 9830 is better in terms of sound q and sound tweaking capability...
Old 06-10-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as far as im concerned... dont waste your money... a buddy of mine went the cheap/not so loud rout... which is what your going to get out of those subs and amp... i believe he got the same subs... but in 12... and within a week he was crying about how he wished he had just spent the couple hundred more to get better

when doing a good audio or anything in your car for that matter... take into consideration that a little bit more can get the job done right...

you will get a decent thump out of those... if you dont care about show or ____ing off your neighbors... if you just want a simple thump... but then you shoulda just got the bazooka option through scion

i would do a lil more research and think about saving a few more paychecks and go all out...

my motto - GO BIG OR GO HOME!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

moved
Old 06-10-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd say, nix the speakers and get a front component system with an amp.......

steup up to a single better 12" and you'll be happy!!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Is there a big difference by installing new speakers in the back b/c the stock ones can barely be heard? Should I just change the Dash and Front Door speakers and leave the stock speakers in the back?

As you can tell I'm new to Car Audio but I know a lot about Live Music Pro-Audio, so can everyone recommend brands/models and list everything I need, so i can do my research.

I need more bass than the stock HU can offer but not so much that I lose bowel control. I just can't stand my speakers farting all the time and distorting and not being loud enough when driving around w/ all the windows down.

I am looking for a solid punch from the kick drum rather then low end rumble.

I'm planning on mounting the amp to the speaker box just incase I need to remove it to load something big in my xB.

Please help! My ears are counting on you!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member

I wouldn't bother with the rear speakers, it would take a good amount of work to get any real sound from back there and your money would be better spent in other areas. If you are looking for an (in concert) type of sound you really want the bulk of the sound coming from the front of the vehicle. Bass is harder to tell where exactly it is coming from so subs in the back are usually fine.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member

e-coustics.com has some good forums and advice.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member

<----- FIRST POST

i don't have an xB, but for some reason, i'm intrigued by them. i am currently working on putting together my 3rd audio system in my M3, and would love to put together a system in an xB if i had one since there's basically no trunk to block out the bass.

anyways, on to specifics. someone posted that "They are 4" in the dash, 6.5" in the doors, and 5 1/4" in the rear deck area.

First thing you should do is setup a budget and spend accordingly. For example, 40% on speakers, 35% on amp(s), 25% on subs. all the speakers you posted are basically crap IMHO. If you don't want to buy all at once, then I would upgrade in this order:
1) Headunit
2) Amp(s)
3) Components
4) Sub(s)
Steer away from coaxial speakers and rearfill for a good SQ system. Get a GOOD component system up front, and if you really need rearfill, just throw in something powered by the HU's power and fade it accordingly. also, a good 12" sub will easily outperform dual mediocre subs. anything Audiobahn basically sucks... there's so many other companies out there that can give you so much more for a lot less money.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member

This would be a really NICE setup:

Alpine 9833 Headunit
DLS Iridiums 6.3 Components: This is a 3 way component set that is top notch. A lot of people are winning a lot of SQ competitions with these and are made in Sweden. You can install the 6.5 midbass in the door, the 3" in the dash, and the tweet on the pillar.
Tru Technology T-4.100 4 Channel amp to power components and sub
12" Image Dynamics IDQ or Oz Audio Matrix Elite
Old 06-10-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much are we looking to spend? what kinda music are you looking to listen to? it doesnt make much of a difference but it still helps to know...

and for the people saying dont get rear speakers... are you joking? have you ever sat in a car with a system and put the music all the way to the front, then all the way to the back, and noted the difference?

your car is like a surround sound... your high pitch sounds are coming from the front and the lows are coming from the back...

you will notice a huge differnce in sound if you have all around rather than just in front... trust me ive been there and done that... ive had blown front speakers and ive had rear speakers out of commission...

if you dont upgrade the rear speakers they will blow instantly... and youll hear crackling... and your passengers will hate you

get every speaker you can fit.. the fronts... def get a component set... with a crossover... kappa perfects are a great brand for that... in the rear someone said you can get a conversion to get bigger speakers in there... do that... and throw in a good 3 or 4 way speaker... bass block everything... and with a good head unit with internal amp you dont need an amp to power these...

in the rear if your not looking for gut wrenching sound... you may want to just go with one 12 inch... but 10 inchers can kick your ___ too... ive heard some 10 inch setups that blew away 12 inch set ups... and if your not looking so much for real deep low sounds the bigger the sub the deeper the bass... you may want to stick with 10 inch subs... being that im a music freak and love pushing my ears to the limits... id suggest the JL W7 but if you dont need that much try looking into rockford or alpine... i love audiobahn but unless your going to go all out with those i havnt heard good things.... once you decide on subs that are going to meet your need... then look into an amp... picking a good amp then penny pushing on subs will be useless... then again... you dont want to get great subs and penny push on an amp either... i would suggest getting an amp with internal fan...

if anything you might want to jsut go into a local car audio shop and check out whats there... never buy anything off off an online store based on numbers...

an amp could be rated at 1000 watts and only push 250 on a good day... then again you could check a rockford amp thats rated at 500 thats going to give you every bit of 500

so do a lil more research... and like i said b4... do it right the first time... you WONT regret it...
Old 06-10-2005, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member

uhhh... yeah.... i wouldn't listen to this guy above...

if you have a good set of Front components, don't ruin investing too much in rearfill. okay, so you this guy knows how to "fade" his speakers, but he's probably "fading" with crappy stock speakers. and no, don't fit even bigger speakers in the rear, that's a big no no... and to top it off, he's suggesting 3 or 4 way speakers?!?! oh man, are you serious?
and did he just suggest infinity kappas???

man, i don't get it. i suggest all this good hardware up top, and he suggests inifity kappas??? what is this world coming too??? yes, the W7 is good for SQ with a lot of output, but why even suggest to him an Audiobahn sub??? that's a good one... LOL
Old 06-10-2005, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by EazyM3

if you have a good set of Front components, don't ruin investing too much in rearfill. okay, so you this guy knows how to "fade" his speakers, but he's probably "fading" with crappy stock speakers. and no, don't fit even bigger speakers in the rear, that's a big no no... and to top it off, he's suggesting 3 or 4 way speakers?!?! oh man, are you serious?

man, i don't get it. i suggest all this good hardware up top, and he suggests inifity kappas??? what is this world coming too??? yes, the W7 is good for SQ with a lot of output, but why even suggest to him an Audiobahn sub??? that's a good one... LOL
I wouldn't listen to you either and your You're just a freakin' troll that doesn't even own a Scion!!!

Maybe this guy is like me and is a "family man" with frequent rear passengers. The last thing I would want to do is sit in the back seat of a car and listen to is a sub in my ear going "BUMP BUMP" with all the mids and highs eminating from the front of the vehicle. The system you suggest is great for someone who is by themself most of the time or perhaps with one passenger.

There is nothing wrong with installing 4 or 6 quality full range 3 or 4-way speakers in a car powered by a decent amp so all passengers can experience good SQ.

For the price of the factory Bazooka sub, one can upgrade all 6 speakers in an xB, add a preamp output to the factory HU to connect a decent 4 channel amp. My system may not be "audiophile quality" when it's finished, but it will be way better than the stock system. There are many different ways to upgrade a sound system in a vehicle. Choose the one that suits your checkbook/credit card/Paypal account and your ears the best!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by marc's xb
Originally Posted by EazyM3

I wouldn't listen to you either and your You're just a freakin' troll that doesn't even own a Scion!!!
wow, i never thought i'd receive such a "yuppy" response from a scion owner... yikes. we are talking about audio here, not about the scion.

Maybe this guy is like me and is a "family man" with frequent rear passengers. The last thing I would want to do is sit in the back seat of a car and listen to is a sub in my ear going "BUMP BUMP" with all the mids and highs eminating from the front of the vehicle. The system you suggest is great for someone who is by themself most of the time or perhaps with one passenger.
just because you don't have speakers in the rear, doesn't mean passengers in the rear can't hear the speakers that are 4 or 5 ft away... man, did i even have to mention that?! what you describe is obviously not from real world experience. trust me, if you have good components up front, and perhaps, a very very slight fade to the rears with a balanced sub, it will sound good to front and rear passengers.
There is nothing wrong with installing 4 or 6 quality full range 3 or 4-way speakers in a car powered by a decent amp so all passengers can experience good SQ.
that comment is so contradictory of itself, i don't even know where to begin. i am happy you have a Scion, but please educate yourself a little more on car audio before you start spitting out advice. 4 or 6 "quality full range 3 or 4 way speakers" and still get "good SQ???" show me 1, just 1, car that competes in SQ competition that has multiple 3 or 4 way speakers all over his car... please sir, i beg of you, cuz i've never seen it... just because he may be a family man, also doesn't mean he's broke. i'm just trying to give him advice how to spend his money wisely rather than blowing it on some of the things you mentioned.
There are many different ways to upgrade a sound system in a vehicle. Choose the one that suits your checkbook/credit card/Paypal account and your ears the best!!!
i agree with this, but when it comes to car audio, there are some guidelines to a good SQ/SPL/or SQL car. better to educate yourself first, then to keep redoing your system. i've re-done my car audio system 3 times so far, and each time, i learn a little more each time. but ultimately, i do agree with you. Choose the one that suits your checkbook/credit card/Paypal account and your ears the best!!

Quick Reply: Will this sound good in my xB?