Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

window tint...removing glass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default window tint...removing glass?

hey, quick question.....i was gunna do a pre-mo job on my window tinting, and i dont want to have to see any seems, or any clear glass on the windows after i tint them.....my plan, as ive done in the past, is to remove the glass in the front and rear doors and tint them while out...the thing i was wondering about was whether this is riveted into the frame or is the glass bolted in? ive seen it both ways, and i figured id ask before i ripped apart my door panel and decided for sure if this is the route i want to take. either way, has anyone ever taken it out? if so, how hard of a job is it and how long do u think it'll take?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bolted
Old 03-08-2006, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SUHWEEET thanx man!

window tint....here i come! lol
Old 03-08-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually held in by a clamp kinda thing w/ rubber tightly pressed on the bottom of the glass. it has to be popped out. i know this cause i had to get my driver's side rear window replaced. i think he actually used a flat head screw driver.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

totally unneccesary.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just have a tint shop do it. it might cost 70.00 or so but worth it in personal time. there should be no seams or clear glass if a proffesional does it.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, let a tint shop do it. Just had mine done. $60 for both front windows. No seams, no clear glass. Perfect.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yea, but, when u roll down the windows, its gunna show clear glass
Old 03-10-2006, 04:45 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by mrdefensive
yea, but, when u roll down the windows, its gunna show clear glass
Are you talking about the top edge of the glass? If so, I fail to understand how removing the glass will help you get the tint close to the edge. You could do that with the glass on the car.

If you are talking about the bottom of the glass, any decent shop cuts the tint to below the seals.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yea, the top of the glass.....but, yea, i guess ur right.....my 87 monte ss has windows that roll down slightly diffrently, so, its near impossible to tint alllll of it w/ out removing the window....but, yea maybe i will just pay the shop
Old 03-10-2006, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have a friend who owns a tint shop and they trim the tint with enough room to tuck under the bottom seal and to reach the top. I would suggest 20% if you want to match the rear windows.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Actually 35% matches better. 20% is too dark and will make it harder to see at night. My 2 cents
Old 03-10-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm under the impression 20% is the correct number. The shop used 20% on mine and I actually see no difference what so ever at night. Actually I'm a little disappointed it doesn't block more of the sun during the day. Just went out to lunch today and didn't even notice or think about the tint at all... so they must have done a good job. Will be three days old tint job this afternoon at 5 pm... hope this helps...
Old 03-10-2006, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

20 % is the correct match despite the myth's on this forum, and lucky for me, 20% is legal in New Mexico, so that is what everyone goes with to match the factory privacy glass. BTW, my girlfriends dad is a pro tinter, and he pulls out the front windows on xB's, but not the backs, they are a little harder because you have to undo the quarters and what not, and any pro tinter should be able to get the film all the way to the edge of the glass, I know it makes no difference when the window is all the way up, but I personally get disguisted when I see someones windows slightly cracked, and a big ol' gap right on top of the glass.

Thia is my tint, 20% on front, stock on the rest

The only difference in the tint color, is, clear glass usually has a green tint to it, and the privacy glass does not, that is why when some people get 5% tint, they complain that the tint is green, because the darker the tint, the more of a mirror effect that it has, so the green coloring shows up better.

Dustin
Old 03-10-2006, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Nice pic but it doesn't show the transparency of the tint. You need a pic where the light is shining through it like this. Here is 35%. 20% is too dark and 35% is just a tad lighter but overall a better match considering the stock windows come out being like 28%. If you want to see better at night go 35%. If it doesn't matter go 20%. The choice is yours.
Here is what mine looks like with sunlight shining through the tint. IMO it matches close enough for my liking.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's nice lookin' tint jethro_b! I think my 20% is a little darker... so I guess the 20%,35% numbers refer to the amount of light the tint allows to pass through??? Makes sense. I also had them put a clear tint on my windshield that's supposed to block 99% of the UV and about 50% of the heat. I hope I didn't get screwed with this clear tint. Now I'm wondering about the actual benefits or detriments involving the clear tinting of the windshield. Course it's already done now so... LOL
Old 03-11-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If it helps block out unwanted uv's and heat that's a good thing. Plus it's always removable. That's the first I've heard of the clear stuff. I never quit learning new stuff daily.
I only erred on the lighter side for night vision quality. If the night time didn't matter I'd have went darker all the way around.BTW the tint was one of the few things I left to the professionals but thanks for the props Bro!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rickisan
I also had them put a clear tint on my windshield that's supposed to block 99% of the UV and about 50% of the heat. I hope I didn't get screwed with this clear tint. Now I'm wondering about the actual benefits or detriments involving the clear tinting of the windshield. Course it's already done now so... LOL
everyone must've forgotten there is already a clear layer of plastic inside the windshield, it's a laminated glass. A windshield from the factory already blocks 99% of UV. and a tint that blocks 50% of heat? They got you hook line and sinker. If that were true... every glass surface in the country would be covered in the stuff. Imagine... a simple product that's 'invisible' that could eliminate 50% (or even 20%??!!!??) of heat?.

no way.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres no point to remove the glass. just take it to a good shop n ull be fine
Old 03-11-2006, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member

anybody knows a good titn shop here in Los Angeles or close to it i am, willing to go 20 miles for this to be done professionally.

Quick Reply: window tint...removing glass?