Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Wiring Question for Guage Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wiring Question for Guage Install

Gonna pop some gauges in tomorrow (water temp, oil temp and oil pressure). I was wondering where to tap into for power? There are two power wires, one is for the lighting. If I am going to install these next to the speedometer on the dash, where and how should I tap operating power and also lighting if I want it to be hooked up to the headlight switch? Also what is the best way to tap in? Will I need to solder or can I use one of those "quick splice" connectors? Anyway, lots of questions, but am a first timer for this wiring stuff. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

no idea...I think people didn't post because they wanted to show they had some power over you. Thanks to them not posting, you won't be installing gauges today
Old 04-23-2004, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i did mine about a month ago...Carl actuallly installed the wires.

as for the power..it was tapped into the green wire near the Gear Box.

good luck~
Old 04-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

mmmmm, carbon fiber

Alex, you gotta check out mine. Droppin in 7 new gauges. Of course they are the new S7 Indiglo AC Autotechnic gauges.

Thanx SCIONFX
Old 04-23-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
mmmmm, carbon fiber

Alex, you gotta check out mine. Droppin in 7 new gauges. Of course they are the new S7 Indiglo AC Autotechnic gauges.

Thanx SCIONFX
did u get ur box back from the shop?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

It's still banged up, put on the original bumpers. I'm waiting for a new bodykit to arrive before they start the work. Sux tho, don't have any a/c. Hot as a ****
Old 04-23-2004, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
It's still banged up, put on the original bumpers. I'm waiting for a new bodykit to arrive before they start the work. Sux tho, don't have any a/c. Hot as a ****
u're getting a new bodykit? which one?
Old 04-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Well the Kenstyle full bumper Urban kit will be coming in soon. Gotta check it out but if it doesn't fit with the blue, then I can easily get another Fab kit again.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Wiring Question for Guage Install

Originally Posted by Minsk99
Gonna pop some gauges in tomorrow (water temp, oil temp and oil pressure). I was wondering where to tap into for power? There are two power wires, one is for the lighting. If I am going to install these next to the speedometer on the dash, where and how should I tap operating power and also lighting if I want it to be hooked up to the headlight switch? Also what is the best way to tap in? Will I need to solder or can I use one of those "quick splice" connectors? Anyway, lots of questions, but am a first timer for this wiring stuff. Thanks in advance.
Back on topic ...

You can tap illumination power from the audio wiring harness.

I tapped into the audio wiring harness for operating power too -- 12V accessory circuit, The instructions say it's cleaner power than the ignition circuit and it was more convenient too.

I forget the color codes but they're in the tech section. I'll look them up and post them when I get home this evening.

I used Posi-Tap connectors to tap into the existing wiring. They're hard to find but if you PM me I can bring a few to the next Cerritos Krispy Kreme meet.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks sithscripter. I actually just finished installing them.

I ended up tapping the cigarette lighter for operating power. For the gauge lighting I took my dash apart and started poking wires with a volt meter until I found one that went on and off with the head light switch. I should have taken a picture of it, but I forgot. Anyway, the wire is a solid green color and it is part of the cluster of wires that goes into the center dash. I believe its the wire that gives power to the LED for the climate control cluster. If anyone ever is trying to do this wiring and wants a more detailed description just PM me.

I taped into both power sources with quick-splice connectors. I ended up having to extend the 12V operating power wire. I used one of those cone connectors that gets mushed by a small crimper.

For the oil pressure and oil temp senders I used an AC Autotecnic oil filter block adapter. It was very easy to put in. just sandwich it between the oil filter and the block. Both senders screw into it. For the water temp. I used an adapter by AC as well. I just cut the top radiator hose in two and clamped on the adapter. The sender screws into this. I didn't need to drain the oil or the coolant for either of these adapters. However, I let the car sit overnight so the oil would settle into the pan.

For the 52mm gauges I used a 2" hole drill bit.

I'll post pics later. If anyone needs more info let me know (although keep in mind this was my first time at this so it won't be Master Electrician advice).
Old 04-24-2004, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another question. What should I expect the read out of the oil pressure gauge to be like? Mine seems almost like a tachometer. When I rev the engine the pressure needle pops up and declines very quickly. This leads me to believe that there might be an install issue. I asked both Scionfx (where I got the gauges) and a sales rep from AC Autotecnics if the oil filter block adapter was for both the temp and pressure gauges and both of them had similar answers: "ah I think so, yup". Anyway, perhaps I should have pushed for more definitive answers. Because the gauges is acting screwy now. When I read a description of the block adapter it does not mention anything about being for a pressure sender despite what the sales rep from AC and Scionfx said.

Anyways, my question is. What other way is there to hook up the pressure sender. Tomorrow I'd like to hook it up with out the adapter and see if there is a difference, because this doesn't seems right the way it is now. Maybe this is a defective gauge? What would happen if the filter was not tight enough. Could this be it? Anyways, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the folks I called at AC Autotechnic seemed a bit shaky with their answers ... I appreciate the way they've supported the Scion community but they should invest some effort into product knowledge.

I think Greddy says their oil block adapter can handle pressure and temperature sensors, and it's not too much more $$$ than the AC Auto.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I saw the Greddy one too. That's what made me ask AC if there's was for pressure as well.

Since I still have the stock oil pressure sensor hooked up to the idiot light I don't think that the problem is with a loose adapter or filter because then then low oil pressure light would come on. Right? Anyway, there is this annoying beeping alarm that is coming from the gauge so I have to keep it in an non-operative mode to stop the sound. I'll just have to call AC and Scionfx on Monday and see what's up. The gauge just came out this week (D5 series) so perhaps there are some bugs to fix with version 1.0.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Called AC today and they said it was probably a defective gauge. Hopefully this is the case because otherwise its a defective sender and taking that sucker out and reinstalling it will be a hassle. FYI you can use the AC oil filter adapter to hook up the oil pressure sender (at least this is what they said to me again today).
Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there an update on this

and on the water temp sending unit is it a universal sending unit that'll fit it???
Old 01-22-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

u wanna know whats funny? most people don't
even have their gauges hooked up(just start looking
when u pull up to anyone with gauges at a light)
Old 01-22-2005, 02:52 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now thats just lame!!!

i need my gauges to work!!! no matter what
Old 01-22-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

That is very lame! I would be so embarassed if I started my car and the guages didn't work. Not to mention they are too expensive just to sit there and glow.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:09 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think a nice way to hook up the power and lights would two 3 way connecters and that would be lot less wires to get in the way