Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XA Carputer Setups

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member

Default XA Carputer Setups

Has anyone sucessfully Installed a VGA Screen on the 2 din HU of an XA?? Either 1 din Indash or Fabbing your own case to fit. Pics Please!!!

thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have it's pretty easy if you know how to use a dremmel, and some bondo or fiberglass. just get the headrest monitor mount, and bondo it into the back of the dash peice, then pop your screen in.. i do carputers all the time, you just have to be a little inventive as eash application is slightly different
Old 02-06-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A slight variation, but someone on this board took a sony UMPC and velcro'd it to the dash of their xa - right in front of the steering wheel. i'm sure if you search for it, you'll find it.

It's not exactly what you were looking for but it gives you the same functionality as something you bondo/install into the dash.

I just found the link for the persons setup. scroll down to the middle of the page until u see pictures:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...suit&&start=20

for what it's worth,
- sh00k
Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member

I wanted a more clean permanent install, My plan would be putting a 7" screen on the current HU slot and I will just get a 1 din radio and take out the oven and just put a 1 din radio kit there.

IH8ONYU if I payed you, would you be able to clone your set up??
Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

question- if you had all your music on MP3 loaded in Itunes or Windows media player, would you have much use for an FM radio? For me personally, once i got an i pod, the FM radio was pretty much useless.. during the times when i want to hear an fm station ( usually NPR ) i just use the wireless internet card and listen to streaming radio via internet. The carputers that i set up have an external usb cd/dvd drive so you can pop a cd in, or dvd, the possibilities are endless. my website is still under construction, but you can get some info there- http://www.audiowaremobile.com/
there are lots of other how to's on the net if you look. i would love to help in anyway possible. Main thing you need to remember is when picking out a screen BE SURE THAT THE EXTERNAL DIMENTIONS ARE GOING TO FIT IN A DOUBLE DIN SPACE. First screen i got was advertised as a 7 inch, but when i got it, i realized that it was a 7 inch screen, not 7 inch overall.. needless to say i had to do a lot more work to get the screen to fit and look stock. Make sure to get the headrest adapter when you get your screen.. you can bondo / jb weld / fiberglass / hot glue the adapter into the back of the dash and get proper fitment before you actually install the screen, and that makes everything easier. remember everything is behind the dash, so that will cover any areas that you may have to cut / dremmel / trim inside the dash / and radio cutout. Our cars are pretty sweet in that there is lots of room once the stock HU is removed, making the install a lot easier. In answer to your question though, i would be happy to clone the setup for you if you are having problems doing it yourself, it just takes a little patience and willingness to take a risk.. remember you can always go to your dealer, and get a new dash trim peice if something goes horribly wrong pm me if you need any help whatsoever, i'm happy to help in any way..
Old 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member

do you have any pics of your screen??
Old 02-08-2007, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

NPR is really good, and carputer is cool.