Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Xb Questions on Component Speakers + Amp installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Xb Questions on Component Speakers + Amp installation

I finally got my xB and I'm super-happy with it. The only things I don't like are the tiny mirror and the fact that I get speaker distortion when I turn up the volume. I've installed head units and speakers before but never amps, but this time I want to do a pretty nice setup for the xB. I've been doing a lot of research and searches here but I'm still unclear on a few points, but here's my initial idea. I want to keep the stock Pioneer and I don't need a lot of bass power, just very clear audio.

1. Get a good set of component speakers, looking at the Polk db6500s, to install in the door and dash
2. get a small amp to power the speakers and MAYBE add a sub later on, if so I would want it under a seat.
3. Get decent coaxials for the rear

Here are some questions I have. Let's say I get a four-channel amp. I would use a line output converter to connect the head unit to the amp, then connect one channel of each amp to the component crossover. That gives me two channels left which I just leave unconnected for now in case I want to install a sub. How will the headunit treat this set-up? Will the bass and treble adjustments still work? Is there any advantage in putting the component crossovers in an accessible place? I don't quite understand ohms, but do I need to, or is everything in this setup 4 ohms? If I put the amp under the seat where is the best place to ground it? Can I reuse the speaker wire that runs from the headunit to the door or do I have to run new wire? I would greatly appreciate any advice. I plan on buying most stuff from Crutchfield and installing it myself.[/code]
Old 11-02-2005, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi, glad to hear you have an XB, try Chris AKA (mandos) hear on Scion Life, he works for a SL sponser elemental designs, check out there website at www.elementaldesigns.com for some nice comp speakers and amps at great prices. I think you are headed in the right direction at what you want to do, also Crutchfield also has nice products.

Good Luck

John