Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XM radio installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XM radio installation

If this has been discussed at length already, please point to the thread! I couldn't find too much relevant when I searched.

I'm looking to install an XM SkyFi2 radio in my manual xb. Because I'm currently debating trading the car in sometime soon, I don't want to stick anything on the dash or drill, mount etc.

I've ordered a windshield mount, and have ran the antenna to the front through the rubber strip in the rear hatch.

I'm trying to tidy the cables up a bit, and thought about routing them through the windsheild vents, down, and under the dash (I have to use the cigarette lighter adaptor, I can't splice it if I want to move it to a new car later).

How easy is this? Tutorials to route through the dash anywhere? Experiences?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a PIE adapter, TOY03 (easily found via google search, got mine on ebay), that will plug into the back of your stereo using the jack for the cd changer, and you plug the skyfi2 into it. I also mounted my receiver onto a gooseneck, Arkon SR088S, that attached to the seat bolt. Both installs were easy. And both products will be found on ebay.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jgriff63
Get a PIE adapter, TOY03 (easily found via google search, got mine on ebay), that will plug into the back of your stereo using the jack for the cd changer, and you plug the skyfi2 into it. I also mounted my receiver onto a gooseneck, Arkon SR088S, that attached to the seat bolt. Both installs were easy. And both products will be found on ebay.
How did you get the cabling from the window mount into the dash? Is it east to get cable down? I've never popped the xB dash off?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Place XM unit and contents back inside package, find receipt, return to store and buy Sirius.

Much better content.

But all snide comments aside about XM not being anywhere near as good as Sirius, jgriff has some pretty good tips for you.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149357

That has steps to removing everything inside including the dash, with pics.

BTW, sirius is crap.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRealBen
Place XM unit and contents back inside package, find receipt, return to store and buy Sirius.

Much better content.

But all snide comments aside about XM not being anywhere near as good as Sirius, jgriff has some pretty good tips for you.
Never heard about the XM/Sirius merger eh? Sirius has Howard Stern. Thats really the main thing that most people will notice. XM has sports. Sirius has sports. XM has comedy. Sirius Has Comedy. XM has tons of music channels. Sirius has tons of music channels.

I have a delphi roady xt. I ran the antenna cable along the door gaskets, and beneath plastic panels (I.E. interior pillar post covers), Mounted it on the rear view mirror platic cover the thing that covers where it mounts to the roof, you barely see any wires, I cant see them from the driver seat. You could use double side tape to stick it on, I used double side tape (because it was already on the mount) and drilled two screws into it to make sure there were no problems.

(BTW, I mounted it here because it was out of the way, and it can still be seen easily)
Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard about the XM/Sirius merger before it made public news. Did you also know that Sirius has made it public that if they are allowed to go ahead with the merger, none of the Sirius units will be obsolete.

As for XM and sports...Sirius has NFL, NBA, NHL, Nascar, the Barclays, etc. XM has what? MLB?

Maybe I'm a little bias, I have had both and the programming on XM is garbage, whereas Sirius is leaps and bounds above it.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sunny
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149357

That has steps to removing everything inside including the dash, with pics.

BTW, sirius is crap.
That link is perfect, it's given me ideas on where I can route wires without any modifications or screwing / drilling through plastic!

Also thanks to Krustytheclown, thats an excellent installation location! I'm wanting it to be a little handier, I'm thinking of putting it just on top of the passenger dash for now (with the windshield mount)

I don't really care for XM over Sirrius debates. I'm more interested in my podcasts on my ipod than satellite, but got it for a bit of variety, and XM worked out much cheaper (the unit was on sale)
Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRealBen
I heard about the XM/Sirius merger before it made public news. Did you also know that Sirius has made it public that if they are allowed to go ahead with the merger, none of the Sirius units will be obsolete.

As for XM and sports...Sirius has NFL, NBA, NHL, Nascar, the Barclays, etc. XM has what? MLB?

Maybe I'm a little bias, I have had both and the programming on XM is garbage, whereas Sirius is leaps and bounds above it.

Neither companies units are being phased out.

As for sports, NFL is the big coup for Sirius. I will give them that. For the most part though, if theres a game on I want to see, I will watch it.

The only thing I know is Sirius gave Stern WAAAAAAY to much money, for someone who is past his prime and no longer relevant. He was great in his day, but his day is done. Maybe i'm just getting old. I got xm for opie and anthony, but even their show has lost it's luster. Now I listen to Ron and Fez, and Fox Sports Radio.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They play Opie and Anthony on FM Radio here, and they are nowhere near even a third as entertaining as they were four years ago. They cry about everything now, and it's annoying.

You're right about Stern being old and not relevant now, but he still gets HUGE ratings and listenership. I listen to Maxim Radio(Covino and Rich) when I want my talk-entertainment radio.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by smeg
Also thanks to Krustytheclown, thats an excellent installation location! I'm wanting it to be a little handier, I'm thinking of putting it just on top of the passenger dash for now (with the windshield mount)

I don't really care for XM over Sirrius debates. I'm more interested in my podcasts on my ipod than satellite, but got it for a bit of variety, and XM worked out much cheaper (the unit was on sale)
If you have a remote, then I think its about the best out of the way spot to mount it. I just didn't want someone to be able to walk past my car in a parking lot and be able to see the display.

Both xm and Sirius have stated that you will not need to upgrade any hardware to hear satellite radio after the merger.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krustytheclown

I have a delphi roady xt. I ran the antenna cable along the door gaskets, and beneath plastic panels (I.E. interior pillar post covers), Mounted it on the rear view mirror platic cover the thing that covers where it mounts to the roof, you barely see any wires, I cant see them from the driver seat. You could use double side tape to stick it on, I used double side tape (because it was already on the mount) and drilled two screws into it to make sure there were no problems.
Did you have to get longer cables to get it all the way down the side and to the back for the deck?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kinda. I got the hardwire xm kit from circuit city (its pretty much a wired fm modulator that plugs from the roady into the factory radio). It just helps to get rid of the static. But the power isnt hardwired, Im still using the cigarette lighter adapter (I want it to be portable if I get a different car)