Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XM Radio subscription price raise

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XM Radio subscription price raise

Just to let anyone know thinking about getting XM that the price starting in April is going up to $12.95. You will get opie and anthony and also XM online too. If you are already a subscriber I think your price won't change. You may have to subscribe for a year. Can't really remember what else the press release said but that is the main part of it.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to know. I've been debating between XM and Sirius.
My mom has stock in Sirius, so you know what my family
wants me to do.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Go with sirrus much better maxim 145 great channel plus need I say that STERN is coming soon
Old 03-02-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know when I signed up it was for like 7.95 a month but i also signed a 3 year contract.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sirius is not as deep as XM and they are now the same price...you can only keep the 9.99 if you pre pay for a year with XM. Plus if you do a Multi-Year there is a higher savings Sirius does not have this(and will only save you a whole dollar a month for pre paying a year) also if you decide to switch equipment Sirius will charge you a 75$ fee for doing that...

like I said Sirius is paying out the butt for sterne and bleeding money becuase of "hefty" deals with NFL, Stern, and now Nascar and not growing fast enough to stem the bleeding. XM is moving at a close to 3 to 1 rate faster then sirius

~wC
Old 03-02-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I have XM and I love it. I have no complaints.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does sirius offer the same type of technology as XM? I know that you can get an adapter to not have to add on the extra unit to play it for XM but does Sirius offer this?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

XM is the shiznit, Sirius way overpaid for Stern and its going to bite them in the ___.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got XM for free for a year, so what do I care. I found a promo code in an XM forum and it gave me free activation and a years subscription. No strings attached. Said they would call next year to see if I wanted to renew.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCMaster
Does sirius offer the same type of technology as XM? I know that you can get an adapter to not have to add on the extra unit to play it for XM but does Sirius offer this?
Yes its all the same. Just like DirectTV vs. Dish Network. A couple of diffs in channels, but who actually cares about Howard Sern anyways? Its not like you can see boobies through the radio.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FrankenScion
XM is the shiznit, Sirius way overpaid for Stern and its going to bite them in the ___.
agreed!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes its all the same. Just like DirectTV vs. Dish Network. A couple of diffs in channels, but who actually cares about Howard Sern anyways? Its not like you can see boobies through the radio.
So why do they offer Playboy on Xm since you can't see the boobies? Iam a die-hard Sirius fan. The 80's, 90's, Hairnation, hiphop stations, and dance/techno is way better on Sirius. We used to have XM and me and my wife both are way happier with Sirius. The only thing I miss on XM is their comedy channel, it is better then Sirius comedy.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Jmarks1998
So why do they offer Playboy on Xm since you can't see the boobies? Iam a die-hard Sirius fan. The 80's, 90's, Hairnation, hiphop stations, and dance/techno is way better on Sirius. We used to have XM and me and my wife both are way happier with Sirius. The only thing I miss on XM is their comedy channel, it is better then Sirius comedy.
I strongly agree about the music stations... but the main reason i like xm better is because of the comedy station... if sirius can duplicate similar acts then they would have me switched back over as a sirius subscriber...
I do believe xm sounds better though...
Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully the talk is true and a merger is being discussed. I hope one eats the other and we won't have to make a decision on which one to keep. I will prbably get Sirius the day Howard starts but for now my dealer XM account is cool.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by coasterlvr
Hopefully the talk is true and a merger is being discussed. I hope one eats the other and we won't have to make a decision on which one to keep. I will prbably get Sirius the day Howard starts but for now my dealer XM account is cool.

nope highly unlikely because the exact reason the FCC issued two licenses is so that there would be competition so for them to allow a merger would be a huge event.

~wC
Old 03-02-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If one eats the other we have a monopoly and they can
jack the service and prices however the hell they want.
I'd rather have choices and compitition driving prices and
quality then be jacked around the way cable companies do.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

sirius over here...in order to clear up some confusion on here if you order multiple years w/ sirius you also get a discount....as far as equipment i've added other recievers and never had to pay any 75.00 fee and the cost for extra recievers is 6.95 per... i'm not a howard fan but i love the nba...all part of my subscription...i got the nfl and now they have all ncaa college games plus they are adding video soon mpeg 4....as far as the 3to one that was mentioned xm got their start much sooner than sirius...but just because you're the first doesn't make you the best just my .02
Old 03-03-2005, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My brother has both XM and Sirius, I prefer Sirius, I like the new Maxim station, Shady 45 is great, the NFL, and Stern. Stern on the radio is much better than the TV show., besides for seeing the chicks on TV.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by xr4ti
sirius over here...in order to clear up some confusion on here if you order multiple years w/ sirius you also get a discount....as far as equipment i've added other recievers and never had to pay any 75.00 fee and the cost for extra recievers is 6.95 per... i'm not a howard fan but i love the nba...all part of my subscription...i got the nfl and now they have all ncaa college games plus they are adding video soon mpeg 4....as far as the 3to one that was mentioned xm got their start much sooner than sirius...but just because you're the first doesn't make you the best just my .02
no no if you prepay and then try to change your reciever you get charged a 75$ fee(look in your contract) and they will also charge 75 for canceling early...XM charges no such fees...

~wC
Old 03-03-2005, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Wheel See

no no if you prepay and then try to change your reciever you get charged a 75$ fee(look in your contract) and they will also charge 75 for canceling early...XM charges no such fees...

~wC
i dunnno what you are talking about cause I just switched from a kenwood here2anywhere to the pioneer sirpnr1 and they didn't charge me anything for the switch and I did prepay for a yr. *sign up for a yr get a month free...so basically comes down to close to $10 a month*

and as far as monopoly thru FCCs eyes sirius had to give some of their technology to xm so they can get started. as far as which company is better than then other one...well I have sirius in both my cars and listen to xm at work and all i have to say is to each his own i mean the only reason why people bag on the other company is because they have subcription on the other one.

just my 2 cents,

Quick Reply: XM Radio subscription price raise