Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XM Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XM Satellite Radio

I tried a search and it brought up nothing. Forgive me if this is posted somewhere. I have the basic stock single disc cd unit. I'm wondering what all I need to purchase to run the Satellite through my headunit without spending the fortune through the dealer. any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D
Old 08-19-2004, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default EBAY!

Search eBay for the Pioneer Satillite Tuner, you should get new one for around 90 to 100 dollars new with the control unit (but your HU is the control unit so you won't need it) and buy the XM antenna by Terk for about 30-40 bucks, hook it all up and you are ready to go! Scion Corp can kiss my butt, wanting 695 bucks for something you cvan do yourself for less than $200
Old 08-20-2004, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: XM Satellite Radio

Originally Posted by metro
I tried a search and it brought up nothing. Forgive me if this is posted somewhere. I have the basic stock single disc cd unit. I'm wondering what all I need to purchase to run the Satellite through my headunit without spending the fortune through the dealer. any help would be appreciated. Thanks :D
I take it you want to keep the factory HU? Then get the Roady 2. It's portable and has wireless FM modulation. Just have to run the antenna. Probably the easiest set up.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Default Re: EBAY!

Originally Posted by al_dates
Search eBay for the Pioneer Satillite Tuner, you should get new one for around 90 to 100 dollars new with the control unit (but your HU is the control unit so you won't need it) and buy the XM antenna by Terk for about 30-40 bucks, hook it all up and you are ready to go! Scion Corp can kiss my butt, wanting 695 bucks for something you cvan do yourself for less than $200

incorrect.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lucky

incorrect.
Ok, that is a very detailed answer. Why would you be so rude but fail to state why you feel the need to be rude? Oh I forgot, this is the internet and people do that!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lucky

incorrect.
Actually, the part about being able to do it all for less than $200 was more than correct, it was dead on. You can buy the XM commander which comes with the antenna, a remote, the commander unit, and the transmitter box for around $100 on ebay.. then you can buy the adapter harnesses to use the RCA line outs on the XM unit and go directly into the new harnesses on the back of the stock headunit.

So in response to the "incorrect." ... Sorry, but that's just an incorrect response.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so if i buy the commander unit or a pioneer unit, i can still run it through my stock HU?
Old 08-21-2004, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yup! Just get the harness adapter thingy for toyotas. Plug it into the CD Aux in the back of the stock head unit. Press CD (twice if not in cd mode) and you'll be in AUX mode...
Old 08-21-2004, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i cant use the sat button? if i use the aux mode will it still steam the stations and songs?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I want to know does the toyota unit that you pay all that money for .Is it portable so you can remove it and use it in your house and then back to your car. I was just wondering since it's so expensive.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

not bashing here, but please enlighten me. (i am kinda taking a survey)

if you have xm service (or decided to get it).
why do you want to spend 10-13 dollars a month for radio?

if you answer this, please give an answer that made the deal for you.
i am not looking for someone who does not have it to rattle off the corporate answer.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
not bashing here, but please enlighten me. (i am kinda taking a survey)

if you have xm service (or decided to get it).
why do you want to spend 10-13 dollars a month for radio?

if you answer this, please give an answer that made the deal for you.
i am not looking for someone who does not have it to rattle off the corporate answer.
Im kind of confused by your question but I think you are asking why pay 10-13 dollars for radio. I think the sound quality is 10X better. No commercials. Much greater variety. Song recognition.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Ok, first - keep working on your search skills. This topic has been discussed a million times.

The first guy with detailed answer was incorrect. You cannot buy a pioneer XM receiver and hook it up to your head unit and use your Sat button - Scion Pioneer HU uses proprietary IP bus that is not compatible with regular Pioneer HU's. That's why the dealer can get away with charging $700 for XM kit.

You can always get an XM Commander or Roady or whatever, clutter up your dash with more displays, and run the audible part of XM experience through your stock HU via FM modulator or some sort of AUX-in solution - again, you won't be able to control it with a nice Sat button, but will have to control it via XM Commander or Roady.

To get what you want - Sat button working, station displayed on stock HU, you can change station via stock HU, no extra displays/ clutter you need a Scion XM kit. You can get it brand new for $485 from http://mcgeorgeparts.com, or try to find a used one (that's what I did - got a used kit). Self-install takes about two hours and is a lot of fun.

Now to the questiona about why pay $10/mo for radio. I'm paying $7/mo for it - piggybacking on my buddy's account. Plus I like pretty heavy rock stuff that would never be on FM, I like comedy channels, I like classical music without NPR begging for donations, I like 80s music (not because I'm that old - I just liked the GTA:Vice City), sometimes I like club/house music. Sometimes I have passengers that have weird taste in tunes - and I can make them feel comfortable. Well worth $7-10/mo.