Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Is anyone running Koni Yellows and Tein S-Techs?

Old 11-29-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is anyone running Koni Yellows and Tein S-Techs?

Is anyone running this setup? If so, how's the handling? I'm looking for sporty, occational autocross. I'm currently running S-techs on OEM shocks, and was wondering if the Teins aren't going to be stiff enough to compliment the Yellows.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm on Koni's and Eibach Pro-Kit. I autocross. The setup is good but there is still some body roll, but I'd like to get a rear sway bar for that.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have gone straight to GC coilovers , using Koni's and custom rate Eibach's.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm ... didn't think of getting GCs ...
Old 12-08-2006, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jsosa has the Tein S-techs and Koni's. From my recollection, he's on the track and is a happy camper.

I have the Teins and rear Koni's. My next move is to add the struts. The Teins have sagged a little in the rear such that is body is even. I actually like a little rake, so I figure the new, lower struts will give me the look I want not to mention the ride.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking that the S-tech might be a bit soft, and they're progressive , so you get that initial lean in the corners. For the price of Konis + springs, you might as well get a set of coilovers, though.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sushiboy
I was thinking that the S-tech might be a bit soft, and they're progressive , so you get that initial lean in the corners. For the price of Konis + springs, you might as well get a set of coilovers, though.
You do get some level of comfort with the S-techs. If I were racing with the XB, I can imagine going a little stiffer. But there are a ton of other changes that can be done to make you go faster without sacrificing the ride much.

With regard to the coilovers, you will have to spend a few more $$$ to get the adjustable damping coilovers.

BTW, Tein S-techs may not be progressive. The front looks pretty linear, and the rear looks like a dual rate spring (some dead coils). It's kinda hard to tell a true progressive spring as you really have to do measurements and calcs down the entire length of the spring (spring diameter and coill spacing). If the diameter of the spring was constant, it would be a piece of cake to spot a progressive spring as the distance between coils would change down the length of the spring.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a pic of the S-techs. They look pretty similar to what you described a progressive coil to be.

I guess I'm not sure if I really want a progressive spring or not. I assume a progressive spring is going to be better for daily driving.

I'm honestly not in love with coilovers. I had some Skunk2 coilover sleeves on my Honda Prelude, and they were noisy and I never adjusted them. Maybe I just need something like H&R's cup kit; something low but that still performs well. Then again, maybe I'll just go back to my original idea of Koni yellows and my S-Techs (since I have the springs already).
Old 12-08-2006, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sushiboy

Here's a pic of the S-techs. They look pretty similar to what you described a progressive coil to be.

I guess I'm not sure if I really want a progressive spring or not. I assume a progressive spring is going to be better for daily driving.

I'm honestly not in love with coilovers. I had some Skunk2 coilover sleeves on my Honda Prelude, and they were noisy and I never adjusted them. Maybe I just need something like H&R's cup kit; something low but that still performs well. Then again, maybe I'll just go back to my original idea of Koni yellows and my S-Techs (since I have the springs already).
The Teins in the picture are not springs for an XB. The left springs are a perfect example of a dual rate spring with two linear rates. The close coils are dead (only active on spring extension). The right springs could be progressive or dual rate with the dead coils on the top and bottom. Like I say, it is hard to tell by looks.

I think the S-Tech/Koni setup will be pretty nice. I'm going to go for the Koni struts really soon as the rear Teins have sagged a little. I want the 1/2" drop in the front to put back some rake.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will tell you this df210's and tokico adjustable shocks with..................
I never knew what i was missing. Dont mean to thread jack, just relating experience with adjustable shocks.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the tein s-techs right now with monroes and thinking about switching over to koni's since the monroes kinda suck IMO. thanks jomo for all the threads about the koni's it really helped a lot.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i had s.techs and koni yellows for a year... then i find out today the koni's died after a year, and so i'm now on htechs with k.yellows.... should be much better longer lasting...
Old 12-15-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by noservice2001
i had s.techs and koni yellows for a year... then i find out today the koni's died after a year, and so i'm now on htechs with k.yellows.... should be much better longer lasting...
did u mean u were on monroes with s.tech's and died after a year? now ur on s.tech's with koni ?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems like there has been quite a few bad Konis out there. I guess it is a good thing that the lifetime warranty comes into play if the shock is really blown. From what I've heard, they have pretty good service for such problems.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

woah woah woah woah woah.... what do you mean lifetime warranty? it means the lifetime of the product right? and if the lifetime is 1 year (which i think i had them for 1 year) then you just have to get new ones, right?

where can i find out the warranty info on the koni yellows?

and to micaxB... i've never had monroes.... i had koni's on my s.techs.... the ones in the back are still good.... the 2 fronts are dead (which totally sux cuz front ones cost hella more) but yeah.... so there's a warranty?

now i'm on h.techs with good k.yellows in the back and dead k.yellows in the front.

i had to get a high spring rate cuz i recently switched to 19s.... they're hella tight... but hella deep...i rubbbed waaaay tooooo much on s.techs....

peace y'all
Old 12-17-2006, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can i find out the warranty info on the koni yellows?
Try their website. In North America, Konis have a limited lifetime warranty (along with Monroe Sensatracs)....Assuming the problem can't be fixed by dialing up more damping or you've damaged them somehow....

Take a look....... http://www.koni-na.com/whykoni.cfm
Old 12-17-2006, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

domo jomo!

i've surfed their site and was unsuccesful.... though, i wasn't really remembering to find warranty info.... i was more ____ed they wouldn't do the fsd for the xB....

anyway, i'll give em a holla.... see how true this so call warrrany turns out....
Old 12-17-2006, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've surfed their site and was unsuccesful.....
Here it is http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/warranty.pdf

I think that lowerring is o.k. by Koni as long as the strut did not fail from the lowering. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

crap you need a receipt.... i got em off ebay..... i guess i'll call anyway
Old 12-19-2006, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

About the koni yellows and tein S-techs, perfect combination. Ive had them for about 1 year and haven't had a single problem. I race my car and beat on these shocks, CONSTANTLY!!! I mean constantly. Im not the kind of person to drive slow on the track even though some people prefer to do that as to not kill their car, but me on the other side, i dont give a S#it, i throw my car into the corner and if it breaks, oh well!! This shock, spring combination is great, i dont know why anybody would think differently. The adjustability on the shocks is incredible and the rears really make all the difference. The only down side to these shocks is that you have to remove the rear shock to adjust it, but after doing that same process about 20 times you become a master at it and it only takes about 10-15 min. The rear shocks get so hard that my back starts to ache after 15min. of riding in the car, so i just wait until i get to the track and then i adjust, the ride is about 45min. and it WILL kill your back. My car also has chassis braces, sway bars, strut bars and excellent brakes, when you have this combination down you can corner better than a subaru. I have pictures to prove this, but my cousin has them and hasn't sent them to me. With the correct combination of parts our card handle like if thier on rails. Maybe that has to do with the Toyo RA-1 i run during competition. Any questions just let me know.