Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Anyone using Nitrogen in their airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Anyone using Nitrogen in their airbags?

so just like the title says, ^^^^^^

is there any benefits to this, I have seen a lot of mini trucks using it, and was just wondering if anyone was using it in their xB?

is it cheaper?
better?
is there smaller tanks that I could run?

any and all info will help,
Thanx.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Nitrogen can get you out of needing a compressor, but you'll need to have the bottle filled all the time. Most N tanks I've seen are way bigger then the air tanks people run. Alot of Nitrogen setups run 2 tanks. Plus you'll need a regulator, since nitrogen comes at much higher PSI then bags can handle. I am not really sure of the advantages, I'd bet it's high pressure's available out of the tanks.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you would be better off just using a bottle of co2 or compressed air, if you didn't want to deal with the noise from a compressor. you should run a schrader valve just in case the pressure in the bottle gets too low, and you need an emergency fill up point.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I guess I am not to worried about th noise from th compressors but just wanted to do something diff, and possible cheaper I will look into places in my area that refile bottles so I will know if it will be feasible or not. My other main concern would be space I guess, I don't need to hide the takes just be able to get them to fit in the car.

I had planed on running at least 2 tanks maybe more depending on the size of the tanks.
Thank you for all your help, and if you have any links to more info please let me know.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been doing this for years and in my opinion there is no need for any sort of compressed gas in an xB. If you do run a compressed gas you should still run some sort of compressor as a back up.

The "advantage" to compressed gas is that you always have a source of air when there is pressure in the tank. It is instant. No waiting for compressors. And you can run much higher pressure than what even the nicest compressors will give you. Honestly though if you start running that kind of pressure in an xB you will quickly destroy your car.

Now, if you insist on running some sort of compressed gas CO2 should be last on your list. The inherent moisture in this gas can play havoc on an air suspension. That is why you see the guys with half a clue that still run the stuff running their bottles on an angle. (Same principal as running a siphon tube in CO2 bottles in paintball, for those who play.) Compressed air has slightly less moisture, and with nitrogen it is all but non-existant.

That being said, if I were to personally run a compressed gas in an xB it would be compressed air and not nitrogen. Reason being you can get smaller, higher pressure tanks and you can get them filled at a SCUBA shop. Look for a steel 80 minimum, up to a steel 130 rated at 3500 psi. You will also want this setup with a DIN valve. Kind of a specialty deal with some shops. But this will allow you to thread right into the bottles valve.

The smaller package makes it easier to fit into the vehicle, and the higher pressure means you can store about the same volume as larger nitrogen tanks. Just make sure you fabricate something to secure the bottle well. And it would be a good idea to run a water trap between the bottle and your air tank.

(So can you tell that I'm an air suspension guy who also dives and plays paintball? Compressed gasses are almost always fun.)
Old 07-04-2007, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

SWEET,
thank a lot I am sure I will bug you some more when I get this ball rolling on this(money to do it).
this helps a lot.