Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Average Front Disc Brake Life?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Average Front Disc Brake Life?

I was just wondering to the folks who are racking up the miles on their xB about when are you having to replace the front disc pads?

I have 35, 400 miles on my 04 rs1 and when I had the tires recently switched out it looked like brakes would be in my near future. I dont hot rod my box around or "wait till the last minute" to slam on the brakes.... BUT I do roll on 17" and understand the added weight puts more strian on the brakes.

I read somewhere recently the avg brake life is 25K for disc and 100K for drums... but that seems low... I put about 68K on a set of front disc pads when I had a nissan pickup... it had a couple sizes bigger tires, but stock rims.

Any, suggestion on best place and brand to buy would be appreciated as well. How much $$$?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got 80K on stocks, have replacments just lazy, plus I don't like changing drums out !
Pads still have life and rotors look fine but I will get them resurfaced I went with a set of ceramics from Kragen around $80 front and rear, unless you have a reason stick with a compound close to stock most "race" type pads suck around town as they don't get enough heat. The boxes are pretty light so they don't eat pads to bad just make sure you cahnge them before they start grinding or you need to buy rotors too!
Old 04-16-2006, 04:32 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drum shoes is cake walk i don't like messing with disk brakes very much
Old 04-16-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 33k on my B and teh Toyota tech said the disc brakes are about half way down. I don't beat on my car so I was surprised. Maybe the brakes are a little small for the weight of the vehicle.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I probably just need someone to show me the right way, I keep hearing that there easy I always have a tough time with putting the springs back on, pads are easy no springs just press the pistons back in and pop the pads in, no adjusting at the end either, with drums I alway feel like they are to tight and dragging..
Old 04-17-2006, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm approaching 43k on my stock pads, the box is occasionally driven in
the canyons a couple of times a month to say the least
the car is driven mostly on LA highways and city streets, the tire
shop did mention that i'll be needing brake pads soon so i'll
check @ 45k which will only be in 2wks time for me. as for changing
the brake pad replacement, i'll be doing that myself as i find it much easier
than doing drum brake pad replacement. i'd be very surprised if the job
takes me more than 1/2hr for both. i'll post update in 2wks
Old 10-25-2006, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say about around 48-50k and that's pushing it. I'm on stock pads at 51k right now and my brake pads are almost gone. I've been creeping to work for the last few days waiting on some hawk pads to arrive. They are finally here and I will be installing them tonight after work. One indication I was getting besides the guys that did my inspection, was the car would squeek going in reverse. Someone said 80k out of the stock pads??
Old 10-25-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah but I don't stop too much!
Got the box with 25,xxx and the guy had said they just did oil changes didn't mention brakes so I figure they were still stock...anyways Gabe hooked me up got my rotors redone and new pads lovin it now!!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:02 AM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm at 63k miles. I don't drive hard. It's probably at 15-20% left.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I got around to changing the pads tonight. Man O man what a world of a difference with the hawk pads. It feels just like the day I drove her off the lot
Old 10-28-2006, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

HA! I beat all of you. I have 70,000 Miles racked up I changed my OEM pades out for a set or Autozone pads at 15K, Then The Autozone set got changed out for semi metallic pads at 35K, then changed out those for a set of another Autozone pads at 50 and now I've been on Axxis Ultimates for the past 10K and they're at 50%.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by bB384
HA! I beat all of you. I have 70,000 Miles racked up I changed my OEM pades out for a set or Autozone pads at 15K, Then The Autozone set got changed out for semi metallic pads at 35K, then changed out those for a set of another Autozone pads at 50 and now I've been on Axxis Ultimates for the past 10K and they're at 50%.
You are killing your brakes. I had close to 80K when I changed my front pads and they still had life. The only reason I changed them is because the front driver side caliper seized so it seemed like a good time to do it.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it looks like my rotors will last forever!

no scoring or any vibration or any wear!

70K miles and i now finally need pads
Old 10-31-2006, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'm at 31 K and still have half the life left in the front pads and rotors. Will go to green stuff pads and new rotors when they are needed.
My rears should last forever considering they still look new.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I changed my front pads and rotors around 80k. So cheap for new rotors, I said what the hell and had Stylis change them all for me at his shop.

Now that I'm over 100k, I'm due to go back and have him check out the drums.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have an auto xb then the brakes will wear much faster. Obviosly with manual downshifting plays a big part in the life of your brakes.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Venom_Xb
Obviosly with manual downshifting plays a big part in the life of your brakes.
It also plays a big role in the life of your clutch. Brakes are cheaper than clutches. Use the brakes instead.

Whenever doing front brakes on a FWD it's always a good idea to just get new rotors. They are so thin they will warp when cut down. It cheap insurance against having to redo a botched brake job.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I did change them out around 38K.... they had at least 50% left but i figgured what the hell... I already had the wheels off.

I think i went with wagner thermoquiet... no squeels, work great... really easy job it took all of 45 mins or so if that.

I guess I thought they were low because I am used to monster sized truck disc brakes.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Its all about braking habits, I am at 81,000 miles and now need my brakes changed. I changed the first pair at 40,000. See a pattern. :D I had 18's on at first but then changed back to 15's. It makes a difference on wheel weight for braking, but with great braking habits and keeping your rear shoes adjusted helps too.

Thats another thing, everyone should have their rear brakes checked out for play. If the wheels are spinning in the rear freely, then you need to adjust your rear brakes. When the rear brakes are out of adjustment, your front brakes are doing all the work and thats why some people have to replace the front more often then they should.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Originally Posted by chadfo
Originally Posted by bB384
You are killing your brakes. I had close to 80K when I changed my front pads and they still had life. The only reason I changed them is because the front driver side caliper seized so it seemed like a good time to do it.
Killing my brakes? More like killing my car, I canyon race the hell outta the damn thing!

Quick Reply: Average Front Disc Brake Life?