Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Bolt In 4 Link - Gauging Interest

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bolt In 4 Link - Gauging Interest

Just as the title says. Just wanting to see what kind of interest something like this would generate.

I have been tossing the idea around for a little while, and may look to begin developing this in the coming year.

Essentially this would be a completely bolt-on affair. Pull your shocks springs, and torsion beam out and bolt the new components in.

My initial thoughts were geared toward pneumatic adjustable suspensions, but I can see where performance oriented drivers may be able to benefit as well.

As I said this is nothing more than a concept floating around in my head with a couple of very rough sketches. Possible options would be everything from being able to use readily available aftermarket replacement coils to air bag systems, to custom coilovers and air-over-shock assemblies.

The basic design would be the same regardless of how you wished to suspend the new solid axle with possible changes for spring perches, etc. The link design would also likely be adjustable. This would allow for fine tuning based on suspension choice.

The possibilities right now are essentially endless as this is still very conceptual. Things like custom suspension designs and axle widths would be pretty easy to accommodate though.

And I think I already know what the typical responses will be. Probably a few count me ins that will never be more than a post on the internet. A few, why even bothers. At least one post asking "how much?"

As for the how much... who knows. R&D would have to answer that question. And it would depend greatly on if it was just an axle with spring perches and/or shock mounts or if it was a complete suspension.

Anyway... let me know what you think. Good, bad or otherwise.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd be very interested...
Old 12-05-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it would be of interest....

you should look at the 4WD bB rear suspension...
if i remember, it uses a four link setup...
Old 12-06-2005, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have any links to some 4wd rear suspension images?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

um wow. insane amounts of work. would be nice to see if it could be done and if so how much
Old 12-06-2005, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was thinking about doing the same but came to the conclusion that i would probably have to use the stock upper spring perch area which wouldnt really allow me to lay any lower b/c the bag can pretty much only go where the oem perch is right now...I hope you can really come through with this b/c i would run it for sure..maybe u can run a 3 link instead b/c space for our cars forward of the bar is zip
Old 12-06-2005, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Have any links to some 4wd rear suspension images?
i'll look.

i don't remember where i saw it....
Old 12-06-2005, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hamads
i was thinking about doing the same but came to the conclusion that i would probably have to use the stock upper spring perch area which wouldnt really allow me to lay any lower b/c the bag can pretty much only go where the oem perch is right now...I hope you can really come through with this b/c i would run it for sure..maybe u can run a 3 link instead b/c space for our cars forward of the bar is zip
Pardon the pun... But you have to think outside of the box.

To lay lower than anyone currently does requires some serious cutting anyway. (Assuming you plan on running big wheels.) Yes you can do it with the stock suspension. But eventually your back tires end up half way into your back doors. The link design would allow you to keep your wheels centered in the wheel wells, or pretty close to it, regardless of how low you went.

There is no doubt in my mind that what I envision can be done. And if I end up getting my own xB it will be done. (I doubt my wife would let me use her daily driver for all of the r&d.) The big question is can it be done AND sold commercially for profit. Yep, I said profit. No one in their right mind would take the time and effort to mass produce this and not make some coin.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be interested in having the wheels centered, in the wheel well when dumped, and furthermore, with a four link, we could place the rear bags closer to the front of the car and get extreme amounts of lift, could we not? Sounds good to me
Old 12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I made some measurements a while ago to do this, but the distance from the frame, gas tank, and the actual four link system, need some additional fab work inside the cabin.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

that sounds like a cool idea; the r&d as i imagine would take quite a while though; but at a cost/v/use option, i'd buy it for a comprable price if it works well
Old 12-06-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dcmcelreath
I would be interested in having the wheels centered, in the wheel well when dumped, and furthermore, with a four link, we could place the rear bags closer to the front of the car and get extreme amounts of lift, could we not? Sounds good to me
A leverage system is one method with which to get additional lift. However, with the short distance I recall from the mounting points to the center of the wheel well, there isn't a whole lot of room for a bag. This is one of the things I would have to consider when doing the R&D.

What you have to remember is that there are several ways to achieve additional lift. Everything from where you mount the bag, to what bag you choose. However, the more exotic the method, typically the more expensive the option.

The other thing to consider is that unless you can get the same amount of lift from the front of a vehicle there isn't much point in getting it out of the rear. And to be honest, I have always hated those vehicles that doubled or even tripled the lift at the rear vs. the front.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by squirrel
I made some measurements a while ago to do this, but the distance from the frame, gas tank, and the actual four link system, need some additional fab work inside the cabin.
I guess I would need a more detailed description of the issue you found. I assume you are talking about clearance for the upper bars?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Def be worth switching over to versus the kits we have now..

Good luck with that if you deceide to presue.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

As for trying to get lower, I am not sure this would make things a whole lot better. I am pretty sure you'd just change where the wheel well needs to be cleared. The gas filler would have to move for sure, you may also get into some interference with the sheet metal close to the shock mounts... I'd like to see the design, but in my gut I don't think a 4 link would help very much.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member

man u peeps are nuts, u guys think of some very interesting things, I mean dont get me wrong i think that a 3 or a 4 link suspension would be bad ___ on a Xb but it just isnt gonna happen well that is if u are tryin to go lower i mean, take that green Xb for example, it lays hella low but the fab work they did was insane and they still couldnt get it to lay on the ground, i mean, the cantelever setup they did was bad ___, they also notched the frame, ( well what little frame we have on em ), and it still doesnt lay out on a stock body kit, im sure if u were to change up the kit on the scion u could lay it on the ground, but its nuthing compared to if it was the stock body kit, ive talked to the owner of that Xb and checked out the work they did on it at a show, and it was crazy, but the ride was ____, plus if u wanna roll that u gotta look at how low the bars will come down and when ur layed out, there isnt much clearance under the Xb, i mean i have a lil 3 gal air tank under the back of mind and its about 1" or 2" above the back bumper, me and my buddy are goin to be tryin something that i dont think anybody has ever tried before, i came across a scion Xb that was wreck, well just the pass side, the 2 doors were smashed in, they totalled that car, i got the car for about 800, its an 04, i already got new doors and ish for it, still runs good and all, but its my new project, were gonna body drop it, imma keep in mind about the link setup, but i just dont think it will work, i thought about doin an axle swap but i dunno if i can fink one small enough, i got some crazy ideas, its gonna be the first stock floor body dropped scion, ill start posting some pics of the build when we get some nice not sooooo dam cold nights when we can start working on it, weve got the inside all gutted so far, but i will let you all know the progress, were gonna roll either Juice or Air on this one, but imma keep in mind that link setup, so just to let you know, late....
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

that is one long run-on sentence.

here i'll trade ya these ...............
for your ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

i'd be interested in seeing how it works out man, i can't wait to you start working on your (and wife's) xB
Old 12-09-2005, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
that is one long run-on sentence.

here i'll trade ya these ...............
for your ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 12-11-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL

Quick Reply: Bolt In 4 Link - Gauging Interest