Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

coilover fragility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Default coilover fragility?

any truth to info saying that coilovers are more susceptible to harsh weather conditions? i wanna lower my xB (on order from carson), but like the adjustability of ride height coilovers offer. that way i can ride thru winter snow up high, and lower it when the streets are clear.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it should be the same as spring/shocks cambo...
dont worry too much about it..
Old 10-03-2003, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: coilover fragility?

Originally Posted by avus
that way i can ride thru winter snow up high, and lower it when the streets are clear.
winter snow? ew. : ]

l. garcia
Old 10-04-2003, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It does depend on what kind of coilovers you get, and also where you live. The whole rusting coilover deal started when folks on the East Coast, after the past couple years, have started experiencing problems with their Teins. Notice it's mostly Teins in particular that people have been complaining about, so that's why they went ahead and produced the new Flex lineup, and have incorporated the black coating on their new coilovers. Thing is, Teins have been available for years in Japan, and it also snows in Japan! So what's the deal? Well, in the US, most people who buy coilovers do so just to sliggity slam their cars... so they adjust them as low as they can go, and then never touch them again. In Japan, a lot of the enthusiasts tend to maintain their cars a little better, and many tend to their coilovers often, making sure the perches don't freeze to the body with rust. They also apply water-displacing agents to the threaded bodies to prevent rust from forming. In the US, you can do the same... just care enough about your car to get under it every once in a while. You can juts shoot the bodies with some WD40 every other week or so, or if you want to be really protective, just run a film of grease on the threaded bodies, and you'll be good to go. And if you live in an area with very inclement weater (i.e. Chicago!), just be sure to crack the perches free from the threaded bodies and move them around every so often so they don't freeze into place. As long as you do your part to take care of the coilovers, they'll take care of you too!
Old 10-05-2003, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

am i correct to assume that preventative maintanence should also be given to coilovers that are made of stainless steel and powdercoated?
i noticed that some tein are teflon coated for rust prevention, are the ones listed in the scionlife/sciontuner store teflon coated?
thanks for the info.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, especially if you live in areas with lots of rain or snow, etc. Just shoot (light coat, but don't drench them) the threaded bodies with some WD40 every other week or something and you should be good to go. That's what I would personally recommend.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Actually, the most problems has not been with the Teins, they have been with the knock-off cheapo coilovers made by companies like Ground Control, Skunk2, OBX, etc... these are made with poor tolerances, substandard materials and plain-old-bad engineering. The rings sieze onto the shafts with just a little bit of road grit, not to mention rust!

Darren
Old 10-08-2003, 08:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

my question is why are coilovers so varied in price from $99 all the way to $2000 ......
what would be a good buy without breaking the piggy bank