Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

coilover questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:37 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default coilover questions...

if i had a coilover suspension that would correct camber would i still need spacers or to keep the wheels aligned straighter and flush with my fenders? or would the pillowball uppermounts be able to align them? from what i understand, is that with the pillowball uppermounts you can bring out the wheel moore and correct the alignment of the wheel so it will be more flush and straight. so another words i was planning on purchasing 2 different size offset's for my wheels. but if i plan on getting a good suspension setup, so would i still need to get different offset's if i get a good suspension with a set of pillowball uppermounts with them? im so confused! anyone?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:54 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like b2k...bump bump bump.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

No adjustment of the wheel alignments on coilovers will do a good enough job of bringing the wheels really out like a correct offset would. That's only good for minor tweeks--it assumes you have the right offset already, and are just making small adjustments to get it exactly how you wanted.

So, the right offset is better than trying to compensate by using coilover tweeks to get the desired fitment.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you trying to avoid buying wheel spacers with your coilovers? If you can get a set of wheels with a different offset in the rear, then I would probably do that.

On the other hand, if you're going to get the same offset for all four wheels, I'd just buy some wheel spacers. Trying to adjust your alignment that drastically is probably not a good idea.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:04 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uncompiled
Are you trying to avoid buying wheel spacers with your coilovers? If you can get a set of wheels with a different offset in the rear, then I would probably do that.

On the other hand, if you're going to get the same offset for all four wheels, I'd just buy some wheel spacers. Trying to adjust your alignment that drastically is probably not a good idea.
im trying to avoid buying wheel spacers and would rather get the correct offset's, i just wanted to clarify that even with a good set of coilovers would my alignment camber off...or is that why people get correct offset's to correct this problem to begin with.

of course also the onlything about having diff offset's is it limits you to certain tire rotations.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Offset has no effect on camber, and camber has no effect on offset.

Offset is where the face of the wheel sits in relation to the dead center of the wheels width.

Camber is the +/- degrees in which the wheels slant, + means they slant out at the top of the wheel, whereas - is the opposite, the tops slant in ward.

Your camber will only be "off" if you lower your car down about 3+ inches. And even at that low, you probably won't even notice the camber being just a tad negative anyway. The xB is not as prone to say a 2000 and older Honda Civic (double wishbown suspension) to have camber issues when being lowered.

In short, camber is not a probelm with the xBs, unless you are dropped way to low to drive anyway.

People get correct offsets for their wheels to sit flush with the fender, as well as to not cause rubbing on the inner suspension pieces of the car.

Does that help any...i'd really like to help you understand this in its entirety, because I had a lot of the same questions when I first got started with my car "modding" way back when.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:01 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMxB
Offset has no effect on camber, and camber has no effect on offset.

Offset is where the face of the wheel sits in relation to the dead center of the wheels width.

Camber is the +/- degrees in which the wheels slant, + means they slant out at the top of the wheel, whereas - is the opposite, the tops slant in ward.

Your camber will only be "off" if you lower your car down about 3+ inches. And even at that low, you probably won't even notice the camber being just a tad negative anyway. The xB is not as prone to say a 2000 and older Honda Civic (double wishbown suspension) to have camber issues when being lowered.

In short, camber is not a probelm with the xBs, unless you are dropped way to low to drive anyway.

People get correct offsets for their wheels to sit flush with the fender, as well as to not cause rubbing on the inner suspension pieces of the car.

Does that help any...i'd really like to help you understand this in its entirety, because I had a lot of the same questions when I first got started with my car "modding" way back when.
im so confused i dont even know what to ask. but i think i get the jist of it.

but i think i do understand that the offset's what set's the wheel out or inward more from the pavement diagonally or horizontal...were as a camber would bring the wheel out more from the suspension? correct me if im wrong...im so lost i think.

i want to get wheels soon for my ride. but since they will be special order i want to make sure i get the correct offset's and not the wrong ones and that coilovers may or may not have alot to do with it.

thanks for your help so far JDMxB.

one last thing, what does pillowball uppermounts do on a set of coilover suspensions? and which brand would you recommend?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Pillowball uppermounts are replacements for the stock upper mounts that provide a stiffer and firmer connection from the strust to the vehicle itself. Its benefits are sharper handling and better road feel--with the downsides being noise, vibration, and harshness -- u will get a definate increase with the top mounts, usually because they'll contain less rubber in the design that won't act as an absorber.

Depending on what type of ride you are looking for, would determine the coilover I would reccomend.

I think you are pretty lost about the camber/offset too...I can't think of any other way to explain it....you might be missing that offset is strictly a wheel term, and camber is strictly a suspension term...the two have absoultely NOTHING in common.

What wheels/offsets are you planning on getting, and I can tell you if they are ok or not...and also what type of ride are you looking to achieve with the coilovers--a stiff race type ride, or a more smooth and softer ride?