Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default coilovers

i want to get these but im not to sure of them...i guess you can use your factory shocks, no?
help me out here
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/item/GRO808001[url]
Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are correct in that you can use your factory (or any aftermarket) standard shocks and struts. The coilovers just take the place of the stock spring.

I could never see myself paying that much for that type of coil over though. You only gain about 3/4" more drop compared to most standard drop coils. And that is only if you are willing to drop these things to their lowest point all of the time.

If you really want coilovers, I would save up the extra $300 or so dollars and get a system with dampers engineered to work with the coilovers. Progress Tech, Tein and Tanabe all have nice coilover systems in that price range.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

thank for helping me out
i'll probably save more money then
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

save money and get HKS or Cusco is my opinion. Better drop than all those listed above, even though theyre a little pricier!

Scott
Old 01-26-2006, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to spend as much as sexyscionlover suggested, I would also research what D2 has to offer. "BrianxB" from this site has them, and from what I can tell they drop REALLY low as well. He claims the front will actually go lower than his airbags allowed. They also run right about the same price range.

If you decide to look into a system this expensive, I would highly recommend buying one that allows you to adjust the height without losing stroke. A system that allows you to adjust the lower mounts relative to the strut body as well as the position of the coil relative to the body.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

agreed ^ D2 would be another good one to check out. from what i understand though is that it is SLAMMED. just depends how low you wanna go and what ya wanna spend!

scott
Old 01-26-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i don't wanna spend that much
nothing over a 1000
Old 01-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then you have a choice of Tein Basic, Tanabe, Progress, and Ground Controls.

Wait awhile as more pics of the Progress are coming out and should be good soon. Tanabe doesnt drop low at all. Basics drop decently but Progress claims to be lower. Ground controls just suck.

So far I would say Tein, but once Progress gets out in the market a little more, then consider them.

Scott
Old 01-27-2006, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok one those are sleeves... better called adjustable springs. Not true coilovers.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Has anyone heard of the ride quality of the D2 coilovers? Just curious...their price is pretty close if not more than some of the top brands...Thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by -Keith-
Ok one those are sleeves... better called adjustable springs. Not true coilovers.
there is a reason for this.

also..here is pretty much exactly what progress offers for the xb

http://video.vtec.net/06/civic/06pro...i-progress.wmv the new Si incorporates the same setup as the xb
Old 01-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

from TOV on the new Si. this is the same reason toyota has a longer stroke shock outside of the springs.

Multi-Link Double Wishbone Rear Suspension
Honda engineers have also revisited the rear suspension to improve the Civic's handling precision and ride. The multi-link double wishbone rear suspension benefits from a new design that facilitates more rebound stroke and improved positioning of the damper. The improved rebound stroke allows the vehicle to soak up bumps and harsh road surfaces with quietness and ease, while also enhancing overall stability. The damper is mounted closer to the wheels for a more favorable 1.1:1 lever ratio between suspension movement and the distance that the damper actually travels (the previous ratio was 1.7:1). The more direct relationship means the dampers are able to provide better damping and control throughout the full range of suspension travel. These enhancements combined with sport-oriented spring and damper settings greatly increase the overall sporty feel of the vehicle and increase the feeling of coordination between the front and rear suspensions (a surprisingly uncommon trait in many vehicles).

there is a reason to keep the spring and shock seperated and the perch for the rear was done for this reason
Old 01-30-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by mdnt07
Has anyone heard of the ride quality of the D2 coilovers? Just curious...their price is pretty close if not more than some of the top brands...Thanks
The ride on my car is stiff. Im not going to lie about it. The D2s are a RACE coilover. They arent meant for street use. I drive my car everyday though and the roads around DC and Baltimore are crap. I get by just fine on the stock wheels. I havent put my 17s or my 15" Work wheels on the car yet since its winter. Tomorrow I am going to throw my 17s on since we havent been getting any snow this year. I can give you an idea of what it rides like on a larger wheel then.

Now it rides a little bouncy but that is due to the very stiff spring rates that the D2s come with. I have the rear dampeners set at setting 35 and the fronts are at 32. The car is also cranked down pretty low in the rear and the front is up a bit since Ive never lowered it completely and I havent had time to even everything out perfectly due to weather and being busy otherwise.

If anything, I think I need to lower the front of the car more and turn up the strut a bit and the ride will be a little more acceptable.

The car will go as low as you can possible drop it in the front. The rear will make the tire tuck a bit on stock wheels.

If youre the type of person who has alot of crap (Stereo, bodykits, etc) in your car these might ride even better since the spring rates are so high. I notice that when I have 3 people in the car it rides alot smoother due to the increased weight.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

BrianxB - Thanks for the info on the D2 coilovers... there's still alot to consider for what coilovers to go with ... hmmmmmmm
Old 02-05-2006, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I put H&R coilovers on my car an they were not that bad in price-- my car rides pretty nice I think---