Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/)
-   -   Driver Side Thump/Clunk Noise? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/driver-side-thump-clunk-noise-163233/)

downforceryan 05-22-2009 08:19 PM

Driver Side Thump/Clunk Noise?

Currently my car seems to have a Thump/clunk noise on certain bumps that I come to on the road. The thump/clunk noise does not always happen. I have looked underneath on both sides. I inspected the cv joints/tie rods/ball joint and don't see any leakage or physical problems(tears). Most of the time the noise would be from the drive side area. I tighten the strut to see if it has came lose and everything seems to be fine. I am kind of the worried side and what is going on. Any suggestions besides going to a dealer?

Btw, I just finished the EndLink Mod for the Front Sway, and still have the noise.

teabox 05-22-2009 11:42 PM

I have a similar clunking sound, but its when I turn the steering wheel. =/

frogbox 05-23-2009 03:59 AM

Check your front sway bar inner bushings , they may have been damaged while doing the end links.

Depending on the end links you used , the thicker Energy Suspension parts come to mind , see if they are hitting on your axels , happens to some with the longer bolts.

You said that you checked and tightened the strut bolts , you get the nuts ( 17mm IIRC) under the rubber cap? ( asking just to make sure)

May seem crazy but did you have as many tools in you tool box after as you had before ? Know some one that forgot to remove a wrench after doing it , made one hell of a racket.

jamie1tc 05-23-2009 04:38 AM

i have the same problem......check this out, it convinced me, especially the part about lowered vehicles causing excessive wear on the cv joints

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Front...3/article.html

NC_Pinz 05-25-2009 12:43 AM

Have you replaced your springs or struts? Mine started having a noise several months after replacing the springs. The nut on top had loosened over time.

bB384 05-26-2009 02:40 AM

Check the fitting kit in your calipers. They would be the brass clips at either end of the brake pads, they are what hold the pad in place inside the caliper. When they wear out the pad starts moving up and down inside the caliper making that noise as you drive over bumps.

They are marked as numbers 47716 and 47717 in the picture below.
They cost about $7.50 each order two of each part number and replace them at both sides
Part number 47716-12070 and 47717-12030

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/diag_2pTHju.png

jamie1tc 05-26-2009 03:03 AM

I'm about to just bit the bullet and go to the dealer for a $70.00 oil change and have them do an expection of my front end and whatever else is to be inspected considering my mileage.... they do a "so many" point inspection with an oil change..........and just get any work to be done somewhere else. I hope you XB's don't mind me chiming in

jamie1tc 05-27-2009 10:09 PM

After much investigation......'like turning the radio off, and endless wondering 4 days...lol, i found grabbing my wheel and rocking the car that my motor mounts are shot...

bB384 05-29-2009 02:00 AM

downforceryan, did you find the problem yet? Let me know what it was.

RedneckwithanxB 05-30-2009 02:37 PM

It could even be as far as the rubber bushings on the strut or the strut itself... Recently mine has developed a nice little thump, and with the help of a real good friend that works at a dealership in town we have gone through the whole suspension on both sides, the sway bar, and everything in between and we cant find it... it could just be that your car is possessed...

downforceryan 05-30-2009 08:08 PM

I ended up taking apart the driver side front suspension and reassembling it. Our mechanic and I came to the conclusion that the top hat assembly was a nut twist loose.

jamie1tc 06-02-2009 12:02 PM

so.... problem solved???

TC_Rollin 06-07-2010 12:16 AM

Hey I have a nasty clunk when i turn my drivers side wheel to the left. I has to have weight on it (ie. on the ground not jacked up). I had lowered the car but in efforts to try and solve this issue i raised it back up and was trying to diagnose the problem again and noticed that after turning the wheel left from being straight the drivers side wheel make a clunk noise and the wheel twitches. Its almost like the cv joint is jumping teeth. Other then that there is no noise other wise while moving or going over bumps or anything!!! any ideas???

ontarioScionxb 06-07-2010 02:43 AM

does it almost seem like its in the door. does it sound like that. cuz im having a problem and it sounds like its in the door, but i took everything apart and retightened it all when i put my new speaker in. but still have the clunking noise. i work for the dealership and had some of the mech's look at it and they cant seem to ifnd anything in the door. as for lifting the car and checking suspension. ill wait to hear some replies on whether your all hearing it in the same area as myself.

archangel 07-02-2010 05:48 PM

I think it’s the spring shifting in the strut. The only thing holding it in the strut is the pressure of the spring and with my lowering springs there is not as much, so it can shift, that’s what I always assumed it was. The strut follows the wheel when you turn.