Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

The good, the bad, and the ugly - Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default The good, the bad, and the ugly - Coilovers

Whose got what? Im in the market, how do you like em? what would you change? Any pics of them installed (pref of the coilovers themselves, not the car sitting on them...)

Im looking into either the Tein Basics or the Tanabe sustec pro s-ocii, but any other suggestions will be taken into consideration...

Im not looking for the EDFC, nothing that will help me auto-x... because I dont want them for that, just want to get lower, in need of new shocks and struts all around, and not wanting to build another bag kit... (plus, the car might have to be driven in the winter *crosses fingers that it wont*
Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: The good, the bad, and the ugly - Coilovers

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
Im looking into either the Tein Basics or the Tanabe sustec pro s-ocii, but any other suggestions will be taken into consideration...
Take this in to consideration...... SEARCH! damn
Old 07-24-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your building a suspension to auto cross on, then go down a few post to a topic I have going called : my performance suspension build with reviews.

There you will find my set up and what I think about it, as well as a review of each part.

My build is for time attack. Which is the same set up I use for auto x. Only difference is I set the springs to be a tad more firm for auto x.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default Re: The good, the bad, and the ugly - Coilovers

Originally Posted by prescottn
Take this in to consideration...... SEARCH! damn
Hey, do you think that im stupid? Ive been on here for close to 3 years, I know my way around the search function... did you stop your little train of thought to go "hey, maybe he has a valid point"

Im simply asking for some input, as to the pros and cons of the different systems... Ive looked and seen "I just got the basics" or "i just got the tanabes" I was kinda opening up a place for people to share their experiences about each system after numerous miles... not looking for keyboard jockeys who tell people to search..
Old 07-25-2008, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I've been on TEIN Basics for over a year now. The ride quality was good, but it doesn't ride so nice now. In the beginning, it rode smoother than the S-Tech's I had on. The front drops decent, but I wished the back could drop more. I actually picked up some different springs in the rear just so I could go lower. The ride quality might have went away because I've been riding with the kit at its lowest setting. :dunno:

I suppose I could send the struts and shocks back to TEIN to be rebuilt, but I heard it costs almost as much as buying a whole new set... The plan was to go with an AirRunner setup, but those plans got put on hold. I might just go with HKS or Cusco the next time around.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I have over 50.000 miles on progress coils and konis in the rear very reliable handles great and and I am very low every day........No cons at all that I have found
Old 07-26-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
I have over 50.000 miles on progress coils and konis in the rear very reliable handles great and and I am very low every day........No cons at all that I have found
Not having adjustable spring rates with out changing ride height is a con to me. But then again, my suspension gets worked.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

do the progress coils not come with rear shocks or did you just swap em out???

that is the main reason that im going coils, I need new shocks all around (80k lowered and 15k of that on bags doesnt help their life) and even if i got new struts and some lower springs i would be spending just about as much as i found the teins and tanabes for
Old 07-26-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no they don't
Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

that is the main reason that im going coils, I need new shocks all around (80k lowered and 15k of that on bags doesnt help their life) and even if i got new struts and some lower springs i would be spending just about as much as i found the teins and tanabes for
they don't but I have konis in the back and they are adjustable....I have rode in other xb's with coils and I have to say mine offers the best mix of compliance and handling......
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they don't but I have konis in the back and they are adjustable....I have rode in other xb's with coils and I have to say mine offers the best mix of compliance and handling......
Koni's are nice, but There are better out there.

I should say, buy KONI! Only because their factory is right down the street from me. lol. But I wouldn't say that because I feel there are better set ups out there. For one, D2/Ksport coil overs. Cost about the same for Tein Basic, come with stiffer spring rates, REAR ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, Camber plates, and ride good. So for under $1000 thats a great buy.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

for every day use I prefer my set set..I don't need camber plates and for the cost factor you can't beat it..different set ups for different things
Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Thanks...

think you can throw up a pic of the car Sciond?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for every day use I prefer my set set..I don't need camber plates and for the cost factor you can't beat it..different set ups for different things
Camber adjustable pillow block mounts come with the D2/Ksports upfront. You may not thing you need them, but they work a lot better than not being to adjust camber back to zero after a drop. And if your tires are a little wide, or your offsets a little low (like mine, running +10) you need the -3 degrees to clear fender rub. And -3 after lowering doesn't destroy tires. After camber correction from lowering, plus the additional, its only about -1.75 or -2 at most. Rides great, turns better.

For the cost of Progress set up, then adding rear KONI struts, is going to cost more than a set of D2/KSports.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Thanks...

think you can throw up a pic of the car Sciond?
on15's

on 18's
Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

a buddy of mine has hks coilovers and he loves them.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I love my progress set, combined with their rear sway bar thingy it handles great!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 987KEITH
I love my progress set, combined with their rear sway bar thingy it handles great!
rear sway bar thingy? lol.