Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Ground Control Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ground Control Installation Questions

I was wondering if anyone who has installed Ground Control adjustable springs could answer a few quick questions for me. I'd call GC, but was hoping to do installation tomorrow (Sunday) when I've got more time.

1. Front Kit: Will I reuse the "rubber housing" that sits inside the stock springs? The CG instruction sheet (which I think is lacking in clarity), does not show it going back in, but at the same time it is not mentioned or depicted at all. It doesn't seem like it would fit in the new spring with adjustment mechanism sitting inside. Below is a picture (from the tech section of Scion Life) of what I'm talking about:

2. Front Kit: The GC instructions say to remove the foam ring, but do not mention replacing the existing metal plate below it with the provided metal plate. It seems intuitive that this would be the case, but I don't want to inadvertently ditch a part that should be on there. The assemble I was planning on using was A) Existing top plastic housing ("Upper Mount"), B) repalcing "foam ring" with TWO washers (provided by GC), c) replacing existing "metal plate" with the silver steel plate provided. This would then sit on spring and adjustment mechanism. I'm sure that was totally unclear. Anyone? Below is a picture of stock set up.

3. Front and Rear Kit: Measuring drop: CG indicates that both the front and rear have max drop of 2.5". However, the height of both the front and rear adjusting piece (not sure of the technical term here and the GC instructions are so fuzzy I can't read the small lettering) are NOT 2.5". Do I just measure down from the top in inches? Since the full drop wont settle in for a few weeks, I want to make sure that I measure correctly as I won't be able to tell right away after lower the car if I measured right.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. If not I'll just call GC on Monday. I'll report back on how this installation fared for a rookie tuner.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did not reuse the rubber dust gaurds, you could probably cut it shorter and make it fit, and it maybe be a good idea. I will probably try this when I put my konis back on.

the only metal piece you keep from the stock strut is the very top one. The GC comes with that silver plate that goes on top of the spring.

you will also probably need to cut the bumpstop foam thing shorter if you go for a big drop.

if you have the fronts adjusted all the way down, or even half an inch higher than that, you will bottom out and lot and rub.

the rears I set ALL the way down and they still aren't all that low.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the foam ring needs to be there and does not reduce or increase height....if u notice its there to protect those bearings....and the rubber spacers are a good thing unless u want metal to metal contact which then causes the springs to make noises.....also the shiny metal shaft coming out of the shock has a rubber piece over it as u may have noticed thats a travel stop....pull it off and cut a inch off it....and then put back on the way u slide if off over the shaft

my teins called for all the stock rubber spacers to be used...and the rubber bump stop to be cut 1inch.....not 1 problem...no noises with them like others have reported with other springs...
Old 03-20-2004, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont have the foam ring or the rubber spacers and im not getting any noises either.

Originally Posted by scionxb04
the foam ring needs to be there and does not reduce or increase height....if u notice its there to protect those bearings....and the rubber spacers are a good thing unless u want metal to metal contact which then causes the springs to make noises.....also the shiny metal shaft coming out of the shock has a rubber piece over it as u may have noticed thats a travel stop....pull it off and cut a inch off it....and then put back on the way u slide if off over the shaft

my teins called for all the stock rubber spacers to be used...and the rubber bump stop to be cut 1inch.....not 1 problem...no noises with them like others have reported with otheprings...
Old 03-20-2004, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

those instructions with the G.C. c/o are almost useless. print is so small and the illustrations are lame. so JACKMOTT you don't think it is a full 2.5 drop in rear? and with 2.25 drop front you have bottom out? M@(Opr8r) is running 5zigen springs i believe and thats the same drop as his wonder how his ride is?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Going through my notes from when I talked to GC on the phone a few weeks ago. They had said that the max drop all the way around was 2.75". This makes sense having measured the adjusting mechanism the springs came with. Scion Life "store" indicates a range of 0.5" to 2.5". I think this might be incorrect and what was confusion me (at least on this issue). So, to go all the way down in the rear would give a pretty big 2.75 drop. I'm only gonna go for 2" in the rear and 2.25" in the front. So, given that the hight of the front adjustment "thing" is 3 1/8", I was thinking that I would put the lip of the mounting disk about 7/8" from top. Jackmott, how long ago did you install springs? Perhaps the GC take a long time to settle in and that is why you haven't gotten the drop you expected?
Old 03-21-2004, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Minsk99
Going through my notes from when I talked to GC on the phone a few weeks ago. They had said that the max drop all the way around was 2.75". This makes sense having measured the adjusting mechanism the springs came with. Scion Life "store" indicates a range of 0.5" to 2.5". I think this might be incorrect and what was confusion me (at least on this issue). So, to go all the way down in the rear would give a pretty big 2.75 drop. I'm only gonna go for 2" in the rear and 2.25" in the front. So, given that the hight of the front adjustment "thing" is 3 1/8", I was thinking that I would put the lip of the mounting disk about 7/8" from top. Jackmott, how long ago did you install springs? Perhaps the GC take a long time to settle in and that is why you haven't gotten the drop you expected?

couple days ago.

the fronts were instantly WAY low, like tire tucked under the fender low.

rears seemed to be about the same as the TRD springs.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Where does the big rubber ring that came with the kit go?

Doc
Old 03-21-2004, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you are to put the o-rings on the front shocks that is what i gather from the picture
Old 03-21-2004, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Docsnuff
Where does the big rubber ring that came with the kit go?

Doc

you slide one of them down to the bottom of the shock, the 2nd one down to the top of the ground control hardware.

this holds the GC hardware steady on the shock
Old 03-21-2004, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

not the O rings, it looks like what appears to be a replacement for the rubber top part on the front struts...but I am not sure...

Doc
Old 03-21-2004, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not the O rings, it looks like what appears to be a replacement for the rubber top part on the front struts...but I am not sure...

Doc
I don't recall seeing a part like this.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Doc, i'm looking at my ____ right now and i don't see what you're talking about. are they included in the hardware from G.C.? is it for the front or rear?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't receive a part like that either. Only the O rings.

Another quick measurement question. Do you think that the reason GC said the kit can drop up to 2.75" all the way around is that is what the Eibach springs alone would drop the xB (assuming that the CG adjustment mechanism was not used). And the reason that Scion Life store (and others) list that the drop is from 0.5" to 2.5" is because that is what is possible using the GC equipment with the Eibach springs? Given the measurements of both (i.e. the lip of the adjustment disk the spring sits on is 0.5" etc. ) this makes some sense. If true then shouldn't I assume that to get any desired drop that I just subtract that amount from 2.75" and then make sure that what ever that amount is I adjust the mounting disk to be that height from the bottom of the coil? For example, to get a 2" drop in back, I would adjust the mechanism to have the bottom of the spring sit 0.75" above the control arm of the xB? Is this how others have made their adjustments?

Jackmott, or anyone else who has installed GC, when you removed the foam disk, did you take off only the black piece or did that include the orange disk inside as well (see picture above from my original post)?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Old 03-21-2004, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

I dont know if maybe it is a replacement piece for the top of the rear springs...

Doc
Old 03-21-2004, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I dont know if maybe it is a replacement piece for the top of the rear springs...

Doc
these are not the same coilovers i got from G.C. the numbers in white on your springs do not match any of mine maybe thats why you have that piece? my spring# are- Front: GC.150.64.66,Eibach # 112640 Rear: GC.200.64.44, Eibach # 78701
Old 03-21-2004, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

I have the exact same front numbers as you, but the rear is the same GC number but different Eibach number...my Eiback number is 112631...

I got Scion instruction sheets with them...

Doc
Old 03-21-2004, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you probably have a dif. spring rate than i do. which may be the dif in you having that part? idunno you could call G.C. i suppose

Quick Reply: Ground Control Installation Questions