Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

H&R Cup Kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default H&R Cup Kits

has anyone had any experience with the H&R Cup Kits? they're matched springs and shocks sold as a package with application for XA and XB's. the price is tempting, too; they're selling for $550 at both tirerack and hopupracing. i wonder if they're any good.

lowers 2.2" and 1.8" in the front and back, respectively.

here's H&R's homepage: http://www.hrsprings.com/site/frameproducts.html
Old 12-24-2004, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats a good price for spring+shocks combo...

plus H&R is a reputable company...if u dont need adjustability i would say go for it
Old 12-24-2004, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been looking at these. I think I will be getting a set in a few weeks.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

very nice stuff had an older set of these on my bimmer for awhile. loved em but that application didnt lower enough for me.they also make awesome bolt in wheel spacers. really worth the money. nice billet.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:34 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I was looking into those but I've decided I am going to go with the Tokico D-Spec Shock & Strut Set, I spoke with someone at the Company and I was told it comes with Springs as well. Don't remeber what he said the drop on them is but the Shocks are adjustable which is One thing I need
Old 12-25-2004, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hrm, from what I know, the Tokico dampers that fit the xB are 16-way adjustable, but do not include springs. The D-spec line are more adjustable and include coil springs, but I wasn't aware that they were available for Scions yet.

I was really interested in the H&R Cup kit when I saw it on TireRack a while back, but I've heard that they kind of wallow and have lot a body roll. But that's just what other people said. I haven't seen / ridden in a Scion with the cup kit yet, so I'm hoping that Kevin gets his soon. ;)
Old 12-25-2004, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uh huh...

Well these are still on my likely list. I'm kinda wondering if anyone else has any experience with them though. I don't see how the body roll could be any worse than factory. There's always swaybars.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the body roll will be almost gone ok well maybe not almost gone but it will be soo much better than stock. and better than oe dampers with drop springs.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They seem like a nice pair, especially for 550 bucks,

I would definatly think about these against Tein Basic Coilovers.

I wouldn't mind seeing some spring rates though
Old 12-28-2004, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ashe_WCM
I was looking into those but I've decided I am going to go with the Tokico D-Spec Shock & Strut Set, I spoke with someone at the Company and I was told it comes with Springs as well. Don't remeber what he said the drop on them is but the Shocks are adjustable which is One thing I need
Where are you getting these from? You're sure they have shocks and springs?
Old 12-28-2004, 02:24 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I called the company directly.
They are not listed on the website but they are in the Scionlife Parts Review area.

to quote the website http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/
D-Spec suspension kits include
4 D-Spec shocks/struts and 4 sport lowering springs.

Call for prices and information
1-800-548-2549
I plan on getting them from there
Old 12-28-2004, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont like the .4" differance front to back.. I dont like the raked look in either direction I like level.. why cant they just give = lowering front and back? My Goldlines at 2" all around for a nice level look.. the price seems awesome though and H&R is a reputable company.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i will be buying the cup kit as soon as my tax return comes back. H&R is a great company, and the cup kit on my old '99 GTI VR6 (late mk3, not a mk4) offered an excellent look with a VERY stiff, controlled ride.

2.2" front 1.8" rear isn't terribly much rake...IMO, it will alleviate the problem w/ the rear end of the xB looking lower than the front at stock height. i would say most of the 2" lowering springs probably actually lower the front more than the rear, even if they don't say they do, in order to achieve the even look once lowered.

gonna rock the cup kit w/ a set of 15x6.5 2-piece BBS RM's from a '92 GTI 16v. old skool euro look on the box. eventually will get kodiak mirror polished lips and new chrome bolts for the wheels to make them 15x8.5" ET33...mmmm
Old 02-20-2005, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mynameisphunk
i will be buying the cup kit as soon as my tax return comes back. H&R is a great company, and the cup kit on my old '99 GTI VR6 (late mk3, not a mk4) offered an excellent look with a VERY stiff, controlled ride.

2.2" front 1.8" rear isn't terribly much rake...IMO, it will alleviate the problem w/ the rear end of the xB looking lower than the front at stock height. i would say most of the 2" lowering springs probably actually lower the front more than the rear, even if they don't say they do, in order to achieve the even look once lowered.

gonna rock the cup kit w/ a set of 15x6.5 2-piece BBS RM's from a '92 GTI 16v. old skool euro look on the box. eventually will get kodiak mirror polished lips and new chrome bolts for the wheels to make them 15x8.5" ET33...mmmm
keep us updated with this.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

update already. i got the wheels i just bought home...bought them from someone who didn't know what he had, and it turns out *I* didn't know what he had either.

rather than being BBS RM's, a relatively heavy and soft 2-piece wheel (though cool looking), what i have now is a set of 15x7 BBS RS 3-piece forged. strong, 15 pounds a wheel, and nearly unobtainable in the united states. in any condition, worth $250-350 PER WHEEL if you find the right buyer, and more in good shape, MUCH more with polished wide lips. i will still be taking them apart, bead blasting the barrels and faces and re-powdercoating them silver, and purchasing polished 8.5 inch lips for them and reassembling with new polished titanium bolts.

pics for now:

Old 02-24-2005, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hot. Hot. Hot. That's old school hot. I can't wait to see your setup.