Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

how to remove studs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default how to remove studs?

I got 17"x7.5" +45 offset and 5mm spacer...
And i noticed that the stud are too short.
Does any one know how to remove the calipers/rotors/ studs? and install a longer studs?
Never did a brake job my self. I know that in order to remove the studs, brake caliper and rotor has to come off.
Do i need any special tools to reinstall rotors and calipers?
I only got 215 miles on my XB. i don't want to F**K up my brake systems by doing my self.
thanx for the helps.

I just did it. super easy job like oil change. Erisan told me how to do it.......
no special tools needed
Old 02-23-2004, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bro I haven't really looked at doing the wheel studs yet but that offset on the rims are kink of high. Maybe you should think about betting a 10 or 15 mm wheelspacer those would look way better.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

45 to 40 is good, i have montegi with 42 offset and its quite flushed

for the studs, you have to take the rotors and drums off, then hammer it out, i would recommend getting a pro to do it
Old 02-23-2004, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bro, there is no way that your 42 is almost flush.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

like my 18x7.5 with 45mm its flush with the body of the car....not the slighty flared out fender....i myself like the wheels to be tucked and flush with the body/doors of the car....so i use 45mm offset front...and 40mm offset back(45mm -5mm spacer)
im having no problems at all using the 5mm spacer with stock studs
Old 02-24-2004, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default studs

Hey NJBOX, you should PM EricSan on the stud swap question. I know that for Exposed he ran a 15mm spacer in the rear and pressed the new studs in right before the event. He should be able to tell you the procedure.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rears are much easier to do than the front because you can just remove the rearhub with 4 bolts. The front is a little trickier but with careful positioning, you can just knock the studs back and out while the car is on the lift.

If you neeed help, let me know. First and formemost that you should know, you dont need longer studs for 5mm. Anything longer and you will need longer studs. There is only one longer stud that will fit and is strong enough to work, th eones that come with teh H & Rare aluminum and no good. YOu need the ones from Moroso.

Trust me on this, I went through this numerous times with my xB
Old 02-25-2004, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

and where can i find the ones from moroso please point the way
Old 02-26-2004, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vpkb
45 to 40 is good, i have montegi with 42 offset and its quite flushed
Actually, 45mm is NOT good. On a 17x7.5" wheel, an offset of 45mm will most likely cause the inside lip of the wheel to scrape against the welded ends of the stabilizer bar on the rear suspension beam. An 18x7.5", +45mm wheel will afford you a tad bit more clearance due to the larger diamater of the wheel (so the lip is moved away from the stabilier bar welded stub), which is why you see some people with excessively-high offset 18s having no problems with clearance. Offset numbers are never precise between different wheel manufacturers, and even less so with lower-quality wheel makes. This is also why one 17x7.5", +45mm will scrape, while another might just clear everything with a mm or two to spare. BUT, these numbers should be used as a general guideline for people to follow... and in this case, it is to avoid an offset higher than 42mm when you run a 17x7.5" or wider wheel.

It's also quite impossible for a narrow wheel to be flush on a Scion with a high (over 38mm) offset, but I suppose flushness is subjective. Of course, you need a relative benchmark to measure against, because once you see something that is flush flush, you'll see that a high offset is not as flush as you thought. So it's all relative.

Oh yah, and I just realized, that it IS possible that a 5mm spacer might not work with some wheels. Again, I refer to lower-quality wheels that have discrepencies in their specifications... in this case, the mounting pad of said wheel might be thicker than normal, giving you little turns on the wheel studs to begin with. So when you add a spacer to this wheel with an improperly-machined/ill-designed mounting pad, you might not have enough wheel stud length left over to safely mount a wheel on.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Amen to that.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Double-amen...Van throwing down the "Offset-Gospel"!
Old 02-26-2004, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Docofmind
There is only one longer stud that will fit and is strong enough to work, th eones that come with teh H & Rare aluminum and no good. YOu need the ones from Moroso.
The studs that came with my two H&R kits were high strength galvanized steel. They sort of look like aluminum, but they are not. The spacer disk is aluminum. I have a 5mm in the front and a 20mm in the back. This makes both front and back wheels with essetially the same track. This looks way better from the rear. The 20mm spacer will put quite a bit more load on the bearings in back, but I think the look is worth it. Anyhow, replacing the rear bearings on this car is a piece of cake if there is a problem.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

just ordered h&r 15mm for the back and have 5mm for the fronts.....glad to know the bolts with the kit are steel...i was tryin to find the moroso bolts....but i did find that arp makes studs that fit....