Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

I need SPRING installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I need SPRING installation

What's up y'all. I just recently received my springs for my XBEEZY and i need someone to install them for me. So if there's someone out there that can install it for me, that'd be great. THANX
Old 11-06-2003, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

contact randy west
Old 11-06-2003, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yup--PM randode
Old 11-06-2003, 11:30 PM

Where are you located Nor Cal, LA area? Florida? We have people everywhere to help you out.

Old 11-07-2003, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make sure who ever does it that they use a spring compressor so the sturt site right. Mine is acting up and I have to redo the front.

Ad-roc
Old 11-07-2003, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Ad-roc
make sure who ever does it that they use a spring compressor so the sturt site right. Mine is acting up and I have to redo the front.

Ad-roc
wat do u mean by acting up? is ur alignment messed up?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey bro the spring install is a piece of cake it took me and a buddy 1 1/2 hours dont spend any money on installing them it would be a waste. if you go to the tech section of this site under suspension it gives you step by step instructions they were perfect instructions i just did mine last week. get your hands dirty.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Hey, you dont need a spring compressor. The tech article is pretty good, maybe because I'm the mechanic in the photos. I would help you out, but i'm allready doing two installs tomorrow, and am busy until at least next weekend. If you are at all mechanical, you can do it yourself. Its not difficult.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueBox

Ad-roc
The alignment continue to get worse and there was a rumble at braking and hard turns. Last night Dchan and I took the left front apart and used a spring compressor to seat the spring correctly. If you just slap the spring in place and tighten it down with the 19 mm on top it wont sit correctly and can cause problems. The compression ensures a correct seating of spring.

Ad-roc
Old 11-08-2003, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode
Hey, you dont need a spring compressor. The tech article is pretty good, maybe because I'm the mechanic in the photos. :wink: I would help you out, but i'm allready doing two installs tomorrow, and am busy until at least next weekend. If you are at all mechanical, you can do it yourself. Its not difficult.
celicaworld.org has a great tech section and the front suspension is just like ours. In there they define the need for the compression of the front springs.

Ad-roc
Old 11-08-2003, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, you dont need a spring compressor. The tech article is pretty good, maybe because I'm the mechanic in the photos. :wink: I would help you out, but i'm allready doing two installs tomorrow, and am busy until at least next weekend. If you are at all mechanical, you can do it yourself. Its not difficult.
celicaworld.org has a great tech section and the front suspension is just like ours. In there they define the need for the compression of the front springs.

Ad-roc
correction: newcelica.org
Old 11-10-2003, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

you must position the spring "hat" correctly over the strut rod. It has two flat spots that must be lined up. It can be done by compressing everything together with your body weight, while your budy runs the nut down by hand. I installed a set of 1" Tanabe's on saturday, I HAD to use a compressor to get the strut back together. The spring was just too stiff to compress without it.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you must position the spring "hat" correctly over the strut rod. It has two flat spots that must be lined up. It can be done by compressing everything together with your body weight, while your budy runs the nut down by hand. I installed a set of 1" Tanabe's on saturday, I HAD to use a compressor to get the strut back together. The spring was just too stiff to compress without it.
I agree with with randode... you must position the spring "hat" correctly over the strut rod. Unless the springs can't be compress by the helper's weight, the spring compressor comes into play.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BlueBox

Ad-roc
The alignment continue to get worse and there was a rumble at braking and hard turns. Last night Dchan and I took the left front apart and used a spring compressor to seat the spring correctly. If you just slap the spring in place and tighten it down with the 19 mm on top it wont sit correctly and can cause problems. The compression ensures a correct seating of spring.

Ad-roc
No problems here and we didnt use a compressor.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can do it without no problem but there is a proper way of doing things and a half ___ way of doing things. You can tighten a bolt or you can do it to spec, its all in what you want. Use it or don't but doing something to spec makes guess work short work.

Ad-roc
Old 11-10-2003, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

it all comes down to personal preference. If you want to use a compressor, fine. It will make it go alot smoother. If you dont think you need one, then dont. Im just saying that in all 12 scion installs that ive done, i only needed a compressor for the 1" tanabe's.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can do it without no problem but there is a proper way of doing things and a half ___ way of doing things. You can tighten a bolt or you can do it to spec, its all in what you want. Use it or don't but doing something to spec makes guess work short work.

Ad-roc
In the past, when you take your car to have it service where it requires to unbolt /bolt a part, do you ask if the mechanic if it was torqued it to spec ?

If you don't use a torque wrench to torque a bolt /nut, is that considered half-___?

If you don't use a compressor to compress a spring in a strut, is that considered half-___?

A pot hole on the road can cause the front suspension to be mis-aligned. When a car is lowered, it should be aligned after several weeks or you will see premature tire wear specially the front tires and it will get worse until it's properly aligned.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionara

Ad-roc
In the past, when you take your car to have it service where it requires to unbolt /bolt a part, do you ask if the mechanic if it was torqued it to spec ?

If you don't use a torque wrench to torque a bolt /nut, is that considered half-___?

If you don't use a compressor to compress a spring in a strut, is that considered half-___?

A pot hole on the road can cause the front suspension to be mis-aligned. When a car is lowered, it should be aligned after several weeks or you will see premature tire wear specially the front tires and it will get worse until it's properly aligned.
In the past, when you take your car to have it service where it requires to unbolt /bolt a part, do you ask if the mechanic if it was torqued it to spec ? -I take it to the dealer, unless I trust the person that is going to be doing the work and is going to do a quality job.

If you don't use a torque wrench to torque a bolt /nut, is that considered half-___? If specified by manual to use certain amount of torque and not, then yes.

If you don't use a compressor to compress a spring in a strut, is that considered half-___? If spring is not set right do to lack of compression, then yes.

All I am saying is do a good job. I am not calling anyone out or stirring ____. I am just bring up the fact there is a need for front spring compression and is something that needs to be brought to light. Do it anyway you want.

Ad-roc
Old 11-11-2003, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ad-roc
We did use a spring compressor, its call human weight..Same concept as a spring compressor without haggling hooks.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

CHILL, CHILL CHILL! You guys need to chill. I thought everyone was cool on these boards, we're all too old for arguing. Like in all aspects of our lives, problems happen, just fix them, learn from them, and move on.

Quick Reply: I need SPRING installation