Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

increasing weight limit on xb

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default increasing weight limit on xb

Does anybody know what can be done to increase the cargo weight limit? I haul a lot of heavy things for my business and sometimes it isn't worth using a bigger van or truck. Would a certain set of shocks or springs work or should I install airbags?

Thanks all
Old 09-15-2005, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think the weight limit is both for suspension and engine. You're gonna tire the little thing out maxxing it out.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

About the only way to do this, is drop weight from the car. Gut the interior, lighter weight body parts. Take as much load off the suspension as you can. As for upgrading it any more, I dont think thats possible. Maybe if you fork out some real big green & find a way to get rolla suspension parts installed on your car. That would increase the load limit but also give a crappy ride, seeing the xB is lighter in weight.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

seems to me that if it wasn't worth getting a truck or van, then it would most certainly be worth renting a truck or van when these things come up, not totally butt raping your poor box and trying to change it into something it's not...as much as people wanna call em an SUV...they're still just a micro van
Old 09-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Banned
SL Member

Autozone and other parts stores sell "helper" or "overload" springs. Whether the can be installed on the xB, I don't know. I think ScionicMam said it best as it may wear out the "little engine that 'tries'". The more weight, the more load. Just be careful. You may be able to shed 100 LBS or so by taking out the spare, jack, back seats, etc. but it gets to be a hassle and may not be worth the trouble.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slipknot490
Autozone and other parts stores sell "helper" or "overload" springs. Whether the can be installed on the xB, I don't know. I think ScionicMam said it best as it may wear out the "little engine that 'tries'". The more weight, the more load. Just be careful. You may be able to shed 100 LBS or so by taking out the spare, jack, back seats, etc. but it gets to be a hassle and may not be worth the trouble.
I was also thinking helper springs, but if you installed them with the stock spring, the xb would be a total "highrider" when you don't have the extra weight. I guess the helper springs could be short and only help when the spring is compressed (and rattle around)

A funky idea.....you could take lowering springs (or cut your springs) and add helper springs such that the helper springs lift the lowering springs to normal height. This would really increase your load capability, but it could take some experimentation to figure out the right helper spring for the right height. To say the least, the ride will be rock hard. Good luck....
Old 09-16-2005, 04:54 AM
Banned
SL Member

Well they need to be installed to where they aren't touching till there is a load on them. Otherwise, like you said, it'd be a rough ride. Those springs are like 8" tall. They can be cut down, but that will cut down on the weight they can handle. I'm sure welding would be involved with the install being that they are designed for a leaf spring set-up and we have coils.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:56 AM
Banned
SL Member

They wouldn't rattle. i had them on one of my trucks. No rattle
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member

I just found these Monroe Max Air Shock Absorbers that you could air up when you have a load and let down when you don't.

http://monroe.com/products/mp_detail...tail=Max%20Air

If you make a couple engine mods to boost the power (lighter pulley, cold air intake) you'd be in good shape.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DO NOT RUN AIR SHOCKS. Air shocks are absolutely worthless. Shocks are meant for dampening, not to carry a load. All these shocks will do is stiffen up your dampening.

If you are SERIOUSLY interested in carrying more load capacity than the xB was designed for the only real answer is either higher rated springs (stiff ride when unloaded), or a rear air suspension.

The rear air suspension would be your best bet, and it could be done cheap. You could order a helper bag set up from firestone and then purchase a set of brackets from FBI, or you could piece together the whole kit yourself. If anyone is interested in doing this let me know, and I will do my best to help you out choosing the parts.