Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

installing front koni shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by wooish
I'm wondering if the Progress Coilver + Rear Koni would be a good daily driver and autox setup. I'm so torned between getting Tein + All around Koni or Progress Coilover + rear Koni
Here you go in a nut shell: I just recently purchased my tein S-techs.

I have:
Koni all around
Tein S-tech springs
GT spec frame brace
TRD rear frame brace
Progress rear sway bar
OTG rear spacer shims
DC Sports tower brace
OEM tires

its a BEAUTIFUL thing. You reduce some of the big rim harshness with the OEM tires, but definately the ride quality is awsome, the body roll is reduced to barely any, it feels INCREDIBLY well balanced, the brakes are awsome (never fade, could you a little more bite), and after the $1,000 ive dumped into the suspension alone is SO SO SO SO SO SO worth it. When you have it all installed is wheny ou feel the complete balance. As of course i could affored it all at once but little by little it all got done, and it came out perfect. Just remember always use a torque wrench for tightening bolts, because overtightening will affect your handling.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Alright guys! I have front Koni struts (not yet installed) and rear Koni shocks. I'm also riding on S Techs.

What do y'all think would be the best settings on both to get the most comfortable ride?!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goodgreek
What do y'all think would be the best settings on both to get the most comfortable ride?!
Full soft (normal) for the front and rear is a good place to start. Stiffer than 1/4 stiff in the rear, the ride really starts to deteriorate. Since the front is so easy to adjust, you can adjust as you see fit, however, full soft will likely be the most comfortable.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Any other recommendations?! Or is front struts/rear shocks a good setup?!

Thanks, by the way! You are like the Koni King.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too possess the front Konis now too, give me a week and I'll have them in, I installed the rear ones and they make the ride so much better!
Old 03-03-2006, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Let me know how the front struts feel!

I plann on putting them on later... sometime... Probably ride on all full soft.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This is the way im riding now with tein S-techs:

front: full soft
rear: 1/4 turn

Comfort perfection. Ive tried and tried with all the other setting and for now this is the most comfortable. I dont recommend the rear is full soft because it is TOO soft and the rear end gets kind of see-saw, a little bouncy.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JSosa
This is the way im riding now with tein S-techs:

front: full soft
rear: 1/4 turn

Comfort perfection. Ive tried and tried with all the other setting and for now this is the most comfortable. I dont recommend the rear is full soft because it is TOO soft and the rear end gets kind of see-saw, a little bouncy.
That's a good comment......For a soft or stiff suspension setup, the front and rear should compliment each other. That's what's nice about having the full adjustability. There are a lot of different setups using different spring rates as well as varying unsprung weight (primarily wheel/tire weight). There is not a "perfect" shock setup that covers all suspensions. A "perfect" setup with brand X springs is different running 11 lb, 15" wheels vs. 25 lb, 18's. There is even more variance with different spring rates.

Your starting point should be the comfort/performance level that is desirable. Once that is found, you work on the balance from the front to the rear. It takes a little time, but it's kinda fun. From most of the responses, you can see that comfort for the rear is ~0 to 1/2 turns (less than 1/4 stiff). Once you set the level of comfort and performance in the rear, you balance the front. If it is too stiff at full soft in the front ("see-saws"...rear suspension traveling more or at different period than the front), you need to stiffen the rear a little to match the front. One would think that this will make the ride worse, but improving the front to rear balance will reduce the vehicle movement. The end result should be an improved (but slightly firmer) ride. JSosa's comfort Koni setup makes sense with Tein S-techs since the rear springs are relatively stiff compared to the front. Also note that 1/4 turn, is not much. Full stiff is ~2-1/4 turns.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do u recommend setup for All around konis with hotchkis springs. It's a daily driver and weekend autox warrior.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have to take the rear and front Konis completely off the car to adjust them? This would be easy with the rear, but not so easy with the front.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^ That's perfect! Because (at least for the xA) you can adjust the fronts while they are on your car. The rears have to be removed to adjust.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goodgreek
... you can adjust the fronts while they are on your car. The rears have to be removed to adjust.
What is general procedure for adjusting the fronts? Is it like, jack up the corner to unload the spring, open the hood, and then do the adjustment from the top somehow?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'll leave that up for someone else to answer. I haven't put them on yet, so I'm not positive. There is a dial for the fronts. How to get to that dial once it's on the car is the question.

Again, I don't have them installed. I haven't test fitted them or anything like that. My guess is that it is reachable from the wheel well.

Can anyone here shed some light?!
-- gg
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from the pictures on the instructions it appears as though you use a handle thing they provide, to adjust the front shocks from the top of the struts. so basically looks like you pop the hood and pop on the handle and adjust away! gimme another week or so and I could have em on... it's been crappy weather lately here.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Same here. Weather's bad. Tornados tonight, maybe?! I'll definitely see if Psyco doesn't get to it first.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:13 AM
Banned
SL Member

Do you have to alter the Koni front strut in any way?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

^no you don't, you can adjust the front struts at any time, the back you have to take off. I have my front at 1/4 from full soft and the back is about the same. it rides great.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned
SL Member

I also read on another message board that the front Koni struts lower the front another 1/2 inch?

HUH?

What do you think?

thanks in advance...
Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

the monroe shocks for the echo give you another 1/2 inch, I don't think the koni's do, at least I didn't notice it. When I had the monroe's on I did notice it.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned
SL Member

I read this thread and wondered.

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f26/1746-koni-adj-anyone/

Quick Reply: installing front koni shocks?