Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Looking to lower my box. Which way Shud I go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 PM
SL Member

Default Looking to lower my box. Which way Shud I go?

My box is my daily, I have 94k miles in it. I bought it used, if I do go with springs, do I need to change my shocks as well? If yes how much do u think for the whole set up vs. Coils? And what's the cheapest way to do it for the look? Thanks guys..
Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too am looking to go lower, and I'm leaning towards coils, as I no longer have to contend with driving in deep snow (back east, I was more in favor of bags, as they'd allow me to get out of trouble, in theory).

I too daily-drive my 94k mile box that was bought used.

My research seems to indicate that either Tein Basic or Progress coils would be the way to go.

Then again, people who actually own these products should chime in, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:29 PM
SL Member

Where u located now? Do u know how much those two coils run for?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Well you might get a mixed review here.In theory it is a good idea to do the shocks aswell because when you lower the car it changes the shock travel and wears them out faster,But if you dont go that low i dont think i would swap them out But'' again with the but, ive been told that the stock shocks are to stiff and go out around 70k miles.A good set of coil overs will run you around the 700-1,000+ mark but then again what would shocks and spring combo cost you?Im running Rs*r's and it's a very nice ride at a reasonable height with stock springs i just hit 75k on my xb and have driven it from cali to Missouri with a full load.Since you stated its your daily and you are thinking about the long term dont forget about other issues when you go to low rubbing,camber,tire wear etc.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 PM
SL Member

Thanks man, I appreciate your input. And yah I'm kinda leaning towards getting coils but it's just too pricey to do so. If I do get springs how long do u think i can ride it with stock shocks?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

coil overs really have a place on the track, not too much benefit on the street. Aside from rebound rates, slight camber, and ride height adjustment, you may aswell just buy some s-techs or equivalent.

if you want adjustable, get air

mild drop, get springs

track day, get coils

a buddy of mine has full set of Tein coils and his drop is the same as my s-techs with his bottomed out. he swears it handles better (which it does) but for me (personal taste) the $700 - $1,000 price on coils doesnt benefit me.

but to each their own. its all about what you want to do, and if your happy then it doesnt matter what anyone says.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM
SL Member

Thanks man, if I do get the s tech springs what else Shid I get with as far shocks etc if I do need them. Nothing fancy just enough to give me a nice drop and would last me long. Not lookingto spend to much on these. Sorry bout the 21 questions guys, I have no experience or what so ever on this, never have lowered a car before. Lol.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

i have stock shocks still on with no issue and ive had the drop for a year now.

i'd just go to autozone a pick up some standard Monroe for the xb/xa/echo/yaris.

once your dropped, you'll quickly learn that you'll need to change the way you drive (like pulling into parking lots you should come in at an angle, and you cant pull all the way upto bump stops in a parking space or you'll front lip will hate you)
Old 10-11-2010, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

If your on stock shocks still, you should definately replace them when you do springs. like ^ stated, the Monroes are great for the money, Amazon.com usually has a good deal on them too. Coilovers are great, but you'll spend twice as much as springs/shocks. Air is greater, but you'll spend twice as much as coilovers.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Ive ran my rs*r's for about 4 almost 5 years now on stock shocks that just hit 75k and have had no issues.Im a fan of tokico shocks but again more cahs id def say get with some Monroe shocks and some good name brand springs and you should be ok.Tein,Rs*r,HKS,Ground control/eibach etc alot to choose from might even be able to find some second hand for a hell of a deal.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just installed the Progress coilover kit.

When dropped 3" (max) it doesn't ride well. It's really low, the front bumper sits about 2 inches from the ground.

I just raised them up a little, still lower than DF210s go, and it rides much better. It's still quite low.

The install wasn't bad at all. I should go get an alignment though.

I have KONI shocks, these are the only ones you should get. They are the best.

I had KONI struts with DF210s on before Progress. It's low, not nearly low enough for me though. The ride and handling are AWESOME compared to stock shocks/struts.

The wheels don't stutter under hard turning, they just grip and keep on gripping with a nice squeal to put a smile on your face if you push it.

Progress
-Pros: cheapest coils (~$600), height adjustment is very simple to do, goes low for a great stance.
-Cons: ride is bumpy and bouncy, no dampening adjustments

Koni struts/DF210s

-Pros: Ride is great, Stiff/Soft adjustments on the struts is easy to do.
-Cons: Not low enough for most. (I had a half coil cut on the front and it helped, but still not enough. Price, struts may run up to $300, springs, $180, shocks, $200.

I'd go Progress, or try to get some K-sports on ClubxB or something.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I ran the Progress with Koni's for over 100,000 miles totally dumped and they worked great
Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our xB has the Tein H-techs and stock shocks. The h-techs are great, the drop on our car is about 1.25". The ride is better than the stock springs, and the handling is waaaay better. It is still very stiff the back. My xA has a lower drop with DF210s, but with Koni adjustable socks in the rear the ride is even better than in the box. But, we have to go over the speed bumps in our neighborhood at an angle in the xA.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD springs are a rough/stiff ride at times. DF210 has a great drop!