Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

My AirRide Install [6 valves - Cusco Camber - Pics/Video]

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rebelMan
Thanks for all the help man! Scion16 i was thinking just now, I wonder if i could mount the compressor in the engine bay? They seem like they would be small enough. Especially if i got an SRI then that big area where the stock airbox goes would be open. Would there be any down side to this? I know i'd have to run an airline all the way to the back where the tank will be. How did you mount your compressor under the rear? Is it a Viair? I hear they don't mount well upside down, but i don't see any other way to mount it >_<;
I personally wouldn't want to mount my compressors in the engine bay. Especially not on something as compact as the Scion. Heat produced by the engine could definitely have an affect on the compressor. To the point that it could cause it to fail.

As far as the switchbox goes, i think i just want my switchs in the dash somewhere. That would be kind of cool, like a cockpit lol. Also, if someone trys to steal the car they would get so confused (unless they really know what their doing)
Mounting the switches in the dash is a perfectly good way to go. There are a ton of places to do this on the xB. Especially if you don't mind drilling some new holes in your dash.

As far as the DIY, it would be more of a pictorial of how "I" did it, not a strict guide. I know a lot of people on here would appreciate some install pics on a scion. Thanks for the pics scion16, looks nice!

One more thing, i will probably have a "dump" switch that will hit all 4 dump valves. The pancake switch sounds good, but from what i've heard it doesn't really raise the xB evenly. Because the front end is heavier so the rear will be up slightly more. It would be cool if i had a 1 flip switch that will raise the front to a specific PSI and the rear to a specific PSI. But i know those electronic ones are a lot of $$$$. I can't wait for this. I need to finish my CarPC project first, off to build a case for the puter!

If you are already wiring a "dump" switch, I would go ahead and wire it up as a "pancake" switch. You aren't losing any functionality, but you gain the ability to fill all four bags at once if you so choose.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a adjustable pressure switch so at car shows sometimes i will run 200 psi just for fun, but on a regular basis i run about 170, because at only 150 you couldnt mess with very much at all without running out of air to lift the front. (and yes a scion will hop at 200) i have all half inch, and slowdown valves to lower it in the front for adjustability.

i will try to get picture sometime of the install, alot of people ask because they dont think a 5 gal will fit underneath.

if you can picture it my tank is turned sideways underneath the floor as far back as it will go, then the compressor is in front of it between the black box underneath and the tank, then all my valves are mounted to the inside of the bumpers. tight fit but it worked out great.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

knowledge is power.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Scion1616, are all 8 of your valves in the rear? I guess i'm just misunderstanding your post.

I think i'm just gonna go with a Viair 400 inside and a 5 gal outside in the rear (hopefully copy scion16's setup). I guess i might as well make the pancake switch, probably not too noticeable with the difference in height between the rear and the front, i'm sure the ride comfort is more affected then the difference between the height.

Also @ http://www.gauge-store.com/ you can get the ES front strut kit for $487 shipped! "when you set up your account use 'frmember' as your promotional code"

It gets better every post

Thanks for the point about mounting the compressor in the engine bay, makes sense. I don't think i'll be too bothered by the noise. I always listen to music, and i have a pretty noisy CarPC (4 fans) so i usually crank the music. If it does drive me nuts i'll sell it and get a sealed one for underneath.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

HEy man just to save you some hasel buti know it cost a bit more but it will be well worth every penny.. if you drive your car daily get the air runner kit it bolts right up no cutting and welding what so ever. This kit by far is the most solid kit i have ever seen.. i have seen peice together kits and have friend that have done it and they only regerted it after.. if oyur going to bag your car do it right the first time.. if not i promis youll be wasting more money! get the airrunner kit!!! let me know if you need one
Old 10-21-2005, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what if I buy the airrunner you gonna install it for me?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if oyu can handle not having your car for a month i can.. i donthave the time to be doing install like this in a day.. it take time to install mods like this
Old 10-21-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Save your time and money. Installing ANY kit the right way, it will be just as good. Everything you want is perfect and cost effective. Nothing will most likely cause you to cut anything and will just bolt right in. I promise you, you won't be wasting money.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eight08xb
if oyu can handle not having your car for a month i can.. i donthave the time to be doing install like this in a day.. it take time to install mods like this
Took me a weekend to do it. I got a buddy who body dropped his mazda in a weekend. We have too much time I guess, plus a lot of experience.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if oyu havent done any of these set up before and wanting to do it your self buying a kit that will bolt up is the best way out.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one month eh, intriguing.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if oyu have family and a kid and tonof other stuffs to do plus my reg job.. it will take some time.. look how long its takingme to do Cos ICE.. it been 2 motnh already and imnot half done.. for those who can wait and hang up there cars i can do it but there is no guarantee onhowlong i will take.. i do things on my time.. oh yea plus run the club.. plus i got no garage which makes thing harder for me.. Ask kory how long i was workingon his hood spoler and grill or jerald on his custom grill.. mani should call my self slow Poke customs
Old 10-21-2005, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I am in the process of my stereo too, gonna take quite some time. Probably the longest, along with other interior work, paint and leather.

Air Runner is like any other kit, but a lot of the components are kind of bottem of the barrel and can get a lot better stuff cheaper and is still all bolt on, its just done piece by piece. I have a whole write up on page 2 of the Thinkin' of baggin the box thread.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SPC.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Airrunner is over double the cheeze i'd be spending on my own kit. And everything in my kit is basically bolt-on. All i have to mount is the tank, valves, compressor, gauges, switchs... which i'm sure you have to do with the airrunner kit.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my next question in where i am mounting everything..... i want to mount the tank and compressor in the hatch, using the rubber washer method mentioned... but my sub box taked up most of the rear so im screwed..... i am getting cofused.,.... with the comprssor.... what psi should i run, i dont want to F* up the frame but i want a nice loud kit,....lemme know...........thx
Old 10-21-2005, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

loud?? if you mean loud dump valves, blitzluft has a reputation for being a bit louder then others....
Old 10-21-2005, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HEy man just to save you some hasel buti know it cost a bit more but it will be well worth every penny.. if you drive your car daily get the air runner kit it bolts right up no cutting and welding what so ever. This kit by far is the most solid kit i have ever seen.. i have seen peice together kits and have friend that have done it and they only regerted it after.. if oyur going to bag your car do it right the first time.. if not i promis youll be wasting more money! get the airrunner kit!!! let me know if you need one
You are hilarious. You do realize that even all of the "pieced together" kits are completely bolt on? The only, ONLY, advantage of the Air Runner kit is a nice set of front struts. Beyond that, their kit just plain isn't worth the money that they charge.

I don't think there has been a suggestion offered in this thread that required any cutting or welding. At the very worst it was drilling a couple of holes. And if the Air Runner kit's little beauty plate doesn't use factory holes for mounting then it requires the same amount of "fabrication."

What "pieced together" kit did your friends use? What were they unhappy with? How many of them switched over to Air Runner? I'd REALLY like to know the details.

And finally, how could you say that the Air Runner kit is the most sold kit you have ever seen? In what context? On xBs only? Domestically, or world wide?

I understand you have a shop, and you are trying to promote a product you probably sell. But spouting out disinformation to people who are trying to learn something is uncalled for.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if oyu have family and a kid and tonof other stuffs to do plus my reg job.. it will take some time.. look how long its takingme to do Cos ICE.. it been 2 motnh already and imnot half done.. for those who can wait and hang up there cars i can do it but there is no guarantee onhowlong i will take.. i do things on my time.. oh yea plus run the club.. plus i got no garage which makes thing harder for me.. Ask kory how long i was workingon his hood spoler and grill or jerald on his custom grill.. mani should call my self slow Poke customs
To be honest, after reading your posts, I wouldn't come to you for anything for one of my vehicles. Getting online and bragging about how slow you are? Then providing references to boot? Stating that doing the job a novice could do in a weekend would take you a month? You must be out of your mind.

My advice to everyone out there looking into air suspension for the first time...

If you are mechanically inclined, do it yourself. You'll save yourself a lot of cash. If you aren't, and want it installed, go to a real custom shop. Not some shop who bolts on wings and tail lights that happens to sell one air kit because it fits a specific vehicle. Chances are, they don't have much more experience doing air installs than you. If you don't trust yourself to do it, take it to a REAL custom suspension, or hot rod shop.

I haven't seen one "kit" described on this website that couldn't be installed by anyone in their driveway with basic hand tools and a drill. And you have a great support group on this website, and countless others that would be more than willing to help you out if you run into any trouble.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know how many times it can be said on a web site that unless you want to get ripped off stay away from airrunner.

not that there front struts arent awesome but the rest of the kit is bootom of the barrel, and most definitly not worth 3000 dollars.

and as far as dependability i think after putting 13000 miles on my suspension it has more than showed its self reliable.

and i dont care what anyone on this site says about cassie tech because not but one person i know has it on a scion which rides like a caddy. he has had it for over a year know and has never from day one had an issue with them.

i know if i do it again i will not hesitate to buy the chassie techs. the only down fall to airunner and chassie tech is they do not drop as far without modifying them and also the chassie techs get way more lift.

Quick Reply: My AirRide Install [6 valves - Cusco Camber - Pics/Video]