Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

New product about to hit the market(coilover setup)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

will they have dampening adjustment?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I thought I typed Jeff and Dave, my bad! Don't you think I KNOW who you are by now?! lol
Old 09-07-2005, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting..... i too will hold out on buying some coilovers till these come out...
Old 09-07-2005, 05:33 AM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by hotbox05
will they have dampening adjustment?
1st page

no. Thats an expense for someone professionally racing and willing to fork over a ton of money for that little extra equalizer at the track. For the daily driver/show goer/street performer and occassional racer...its ideal and affordable. As i said...the owners are going to be pleasantly surprised at ride quality as well as looks and performance.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i musta skimmed over that part. i did see the pricing. lol well i'm waiting for it to come out that's for sure. alot cheaper than cusco vacanza's
Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

another interested.... and i dont even have my xa yet.

btw, im a noob and i read your comment that if the springs and shocks fit both rides, then the coilovers will too. so do they? anyone?
Old 09-08-2005, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yes xa/xb suspension is completely interchangeable
Old 09-10-2005, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

any updates?
Old 09-11-2005, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me want.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i probably dont know Progress as well as Lip, but i was told that the drop is anywhere from 1-3 (appx). That would be pretty decent for the price. When my stock shocks blow I mayb think about this.

Scott
Old 09-11-2005, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jeff...please let me know when these are available. Also send or post pix when you have the green light.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

Originally Posted by etarui
Jeff...please let me know when these are available. Also send or post pix when you have the green light.
i want the first set off the truck ;)
Old 09-12-2005, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want the second set.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

very very interested i guess since the first two sets are taken i want the 3rd
Old 09-12-2005, 04:39 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha. i think its funny people are jumping on this without seeing them or even knowing all the info about them.

just hold up. i dont think preorders are coming out just right now yet. maybe in a week or so.

i wish i had the money to drop on a coilover kit i knew nothing about

scott
Old 09-12-2005, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You all are a little late to be calling dibs, about 2 pages too late.

Originally Posted by FrankenScion
Bring it on!

I want to be at the top of the list. :D
Old 09-12-2005, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey all. (Lip) Jeff's lazy **** is at the beach this week, so I'm covering things. I should be in touch with Progress later today for updates. I will do my best to keep you all updated. Thanks for your interest and patience!

Believe me, we're harrassing Progress on a regular basis! ;o)
Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

speaking of harrasment
i have told both of my shop owner friends to call Progress and bug them at least once a week for these
Old 09-14-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As my dim mind gradually grasps the limitations of coilovers I'll install here and at the Tein Growing pains thread some thoughts.

I compose here for now and this will be rife with typos and errors of thought for sure.

Q: What are the maker's main limitations in affording the end users maximum drop?

provisional answer..
A: The stroke lenght of the damper must be attuned to the range of height adjustability.

In these basic kits only one parameter is really easy to adjust: the lower spring perch is a screw flange. Dialing it upwards raises the vehicle bodily. Wheel upbound travel within the well is more liable to scrape the well, if the upper bump stop, a cored-out plastic-rubber on the damper rod, is not attuned to the max. permissible up-travel of the tire diameter employed. And this is the final, practical lmit to the upbound travel.

In the opposite direction we lower the car now. We screw down the lower spring perch until the car say, nearly scrapes the ground. -VITAL NOW- that the spring, which is now working within a much longer distance between the its upper and lower perch, will always be under some compressive strain, even if the vehicle is jacked to hang a front wheel off the ground.

Here comes in the -stroke length- of the shock. The upper limit of stroke is set by aforementioned uppper bump stop. However, the lower limit of stroke is set, permanently, within the tube of the damper. And this means if the damper stroke is at all long; or anywhere as long as in the OEM damper strut, then, there is no practical safe way to gain drops much exceeding two inches.

Lowering springs for stock struts/dampers must and do adhear to this limitation. The downstroke of the stock strut/damper is too long to afford much more lowering than two inches, or else the spring goes slack and may even leave tis perch. In the case of the rear springs these could even fall out and you'd sure have a problem in an instant

Taking an example of a purpose-made kit which I happen to have at present: The Tein Basic. The front springs are straight helical coils of much less height than OEM's progressively wound, heavier wire springs. This Tein spring is short. It is short in part to allow the room to LOWER the ride by screwing down the lower perch height. YET the Tein Basic cannot use all of its threads to go down say, one more inch to make a total of 3.5" or so of drop. It can't do this safely becuase that would put an inch of -slack space- between spring and upper/lower perch whenever the suspension out-bounds to max.

This owes to the Tein's retaining a relatively long stroke for its damper. I suspect there are reasons why they have this seemingly long stroke. Other basic coilovers have limited height adjustablity, too. I think I see why now.

Now, this new Progress setup promises a substantially greater range of height adjustability. I could only guess how they accomplish this in a basic, one-end adustment system meant to work with a wide variety of tire diameters.

So I'll leave off here for Lip to explain further or help correct any mistakes in comprehension which I may by showing off in this Q thread. More questions than answers at present. But we're gaining on fuller undrstanding by degrees.

thanks for reading and helping out here , whoever you are who has good info to share.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe this has been covered and i just missed it, but did progress team up with koni for these coilovers like they've done in the past?

Quick Reply: New product about to hit the market(coilover setup)